! VERY CLOSE CALL TODAY !

V-Max 2 Busa

Registered
OK last night I read a post that said today was "National Ride To Work Day" but I keep all my bikes at the shop so today when I got to the shop I made it "National Ride Instead Of Work Day".  I enjoyed several hours riding around the Sierra Foothills up past Shingle Springs toward Placerville/Tahoe.  Today was perfect weather for a ride, somewhat cloudy until late afternoon so it wasn't blazin hot with the leather and all.  Everything was going great until I got back into town, it was around 5:00 pm so I took some side streets as to avoid rush hour traffic.  I approached a red light at a very large intersection, (3 lanes of traffic each direction with additional 2 designated left turn lanes), I lane split past 5 cars or so to get to the front so I ain't suckin car exhaust, Now I'm sittin at the red light waiting for the green so that I can jump out front to clear the 2 cars I'm in between, in the meantime I'm watching traffic flow from the 2 designated left turn lanes from opposite direction, OK all left turners are gone and my light turns green so I jump on it, well at this time I notice some moron from the fast lane opposite direction traffic decides that he want to make a left instead of goin straight and that's what he does (Right In Front Of Me), Crap!!!! he finally notices what he has done and now he stomps on the brakes, so now not only is he blocking my path but he is sliding sideways headed straight for me, keep in mind I have just let out the clutch and grabbed a hand full of first gear, CRAP!!!!! I swear I thought I was goin straight into the side of that old Chevy Pick-Up, Also keeping in mind that this Busa is my first sport bike and have not even put 500 miles on it yet I'm still not entirelly confident in my ability or fimaliarity of the handling of this machine (it's not like I could just pitch it sideways like I would instinctively do on my CR 250, this an entirely different animal, know what I mean?)  Anyhow thinking I'm gonna slam my beautiful Busa into this truck I grabbed a handful of front brake and probably stood on the rear, locked up both wheels and skidded up to the truck literally no more than 1" from colliding into the truck.  Well the old fart just slowly drove away watching me shake my finger at him, no not that one, just the index finger, he needed a good scolding not to be told to f off.  Don't you just love those left turners? My Busa has like 7,000 miles with original brake pads & lines, brakes feel kinda soft so I was extremely surprised as to how quickly I did stop in a panic situation but I still think I'm gonna get some better pads and SS lines.

Been there, brother. Takes a while to get the old ticker to settle down after one of those. Best thing you could do is find a big open parking lot, find a buddy to watch you and practice a sh**load of panic stops. Myself and a couple of guys that I roll with still do that every few weeks.

Geez! Of all the ways that could have turned out... Geez! I guess it was your lucky day. Glad to hear a happy ending.

glad everything turned out ok
beerchug.gif

So.... you locked up both brakes from too much braking force... and you want pads and lines that will give you more powerful brakes?

What would have made you stop faster would be not locking the brakes... not stiffer brakes that will lock up even easier.

(bitabur @ Jul. 18 2007,20:flamethrowing:) So.... you locked up both brakes from too much braking force... and you want pads and lines that will give you more powerful brakes?

What would have made you stop faster would be not locking the brakes... not stiffer brakes that will lock up even easier.
+1

That's why cars have ABS.

Adrenaline is a powerful thing.

More importantly... glad your ok.

(fsusux @ Jul. 18 2007,19:47) Been there, brother.  Takes a while to get the old ticker to settle down after one of those.  Best thing you could do is find a big open parking lot, find a buddy to watch you and practice a sh**load of panic stops.  Myself and a couple of guys that I roll with still do that every few weeks.
Great idea.

Do it at different speeds so you can adjust your level of awareness.

Good to here your still in one peice. i saw a study recently done by ins companies across the usa. they said sacramento had the worst drivers in america. today was a great day here for a ride. went up and down hwy 49 myself. you seem to have good luck, leave a msg if ya wanna ride sometime.

Glad to see your safe, get the brake up grades and pratice stopping untill you can stop really hard with confidence. We all need to pratice those those skills guys.

That's how my 04LE got totalled. Cager made a left turn in front of me, as if I wasn't there.
rant.gif
guns.gif

"PUCKER FACTOR - 875" Live to ride another day !!!...."Excellent".......
super.gif

Scary story. Glad you're OK.

Consider the HID headlight upgrade. Great mod for safety and better night driving. The light is so bright- have never had a cager pull a left turn in front of me.

It is a nice diy project and there is plenty of help here on the Board to get you started- just do a search

Ride safe.

glad your ok,he probably didnt see you since you said you lane split and was sitting in btwn cars!! I usually sit and wait a sec or two whn lite changes just for those last minute Aholes,isnt like i cant make that time back up when i do pull out
race.gif
race.gif

race.gif

A controlled stop from front brake only would have stopped you faster than both tires sliding. Practice stops as mentioned above, it's amazing what modern tires and brakes will handle. I have stainless front brake lines and EBC HH sintered pads and it will stoppie this big beast with one finger on the lever.
smile.gif

So if it's not lifting the rear wheel yet, you can still brake harder...

(bitabur @ Jul. 18 2007,23:flamethrowing:) So.... you locked up both brakes from too much braking force... and you want pads and lines that will give you more powerful brakes?

Glad you're ok!! I think a tire upgrade is needed to prevent some skidding!

Back