Velocity swing arm on the street?

BigBadDodge

Registered
Been considering selling my 240 kit and going to a velocity arm with a smaller tire as the old girls gonna be seeing more strip duty. Any thoughts? Debating how well one underrbraced would hold up to street use as it will be street/strip until i pickup another bike.

Swingarms and Swingarm Extensions

Dunno about velocity arms specifically, but many have internal structure for strength. Buddy was running an Adams arm, it looked thin, but had no issues with his N2o liter bike being street ridin

Smellphone via Forum Runner

I'm thinking it'd be alright if they're meant to take the torque some of the pro street bikes are putting into em, occasional street use shouldnt destroy it:laugh:

That looks good, i figured i'd buy a plain jane one and then add in my own bottle brackets and other goodies. Considered making one myself but i'm so anal about my work its gonna take alot longer than i would want it to :banghead:

Stay away from velocity arms---when barry was making them they had alot of failures at the track and now he sold off his swingarm business and its no better. There are plenty of companys who never compromise their work or parts: Trac Dynamics, terry MacItosh, coby Adams...enough said w 3 names!!!! save your money and save your headaches. I dont have any affiliation w any of these firms just good luck for the past 13 years racing w them on busa's and another on other suzuki's!!!

Thats the kinda stuff i'm looking for, i've got the go fast and get down the track down, but getting more seriously into making what will more than likely become a strictly strip bike i'm just diving into the research end of things and got a ton to figure out.

All i know for now is 240's are probably to expensive for burnouts and the wheels and swing arm i'm running now are heavier than crap!!

Thats the kinda stuff i'm looking for, i've got the go fast and get down the track down, but getting more seriously into making what will more than likely become a strictly strip bike i'm just diving into the research end of things and got a ton to figure out.

All i know for now is 240's are probably to expensive for burnouts and the wheels and swing arm i'm running now are heavier than crap!!

Yup, thats the biggest draw back IMO I made the thing corner weather it wanted to or not, just couldnt fight the weight.

Save your money and buy Coby Adams! Except noooo substitutes, Boss!:rulez: That arm will take all of the power that you can throw at it and more.

I have the Velocity 6-12 adjustable swingarm with the bottle bracket and built in air tank, I never had an issue with it and like it very much. I am running a stage 1 kit with the boost turned up and a small shot on the bottle, works great for me. I have it currently set at about 10.5-11 over and ride it every chance I get..

Got to thinking today since i'd like to keep my 240 setup for another bike, i have a stock swingarm, thought about just putting extensions on that, then i got to thinking i have a stock swing arm...and a tig welder in my garage :laugh:

Gonna start doing some "research" when i get home

Take that stock arm, cut that tower off, weld on a plate in its place, then under brace it with the extensions welded on.There is a post on here somehere how to do it.

Take that stock arm, cut that tower off, weld on a plate in its place, then under brace it with the extensions welded on.There is a post on here somehere how to do it.

Was definately gonna chop the tower, actually thinking extensions will be the easiest way to go being the od of the swing arm tube is 1.5X3 i wont even know if i could get tubing to run inside until i cut it. :please:

If you end up buying an arm, you won't regret buying mcintosh, they have very very good customer service and reputation. Their brake hangers and bottle mounts are more than just a tab too

I have a Velocity arm, and am obviously not scared of it, or I wouldn't have bought it. I have never heard of one failing, but that doesn't mean it hasn't happened. FWIW.
McIntosh is an industry leader. Hands down.

This is just MY opinion, so take it for what it's worth.
I wouldn't go the stock arm/welded extention route.
I hate to see a $12,000 bike with a patched up $37 swingarm.
Please don't shoot the messenger. It's just MY thinking.....:beerchug:

The McIntosh arms are nice, but on the other side of it if i can build my own WAY cheaper and tailor it to exactly what i want and if i have to change something down the road i'm not hacking into a 1k dollar arm. That and since i have the skills and tooling to do one i'd much rather tell someone that asks oh thats MY arm :laugh:

Honestly the welding on mine will look better than whats on the factory stuff to begin with :whistle: My plan is to do it to where it looks and performs as a "manafactured" arm and not a modified arm, wont look patched up by any means, heres some of my resume :laugh:(and cause i'm a picture w****)

alum.jpg

32611005.jpg

32611008.jpg

overflow006.jpg

overflow010.jpg

Biggest problem i'm seeing is i'm such a hard critic when it comes to welding and metal work, especially my own that if i spend the money for someone elses i'm never gonna be 100% satisfied with it :whistle:

In the past, there were people that made extensions where you cut off your adjuster piece and extended it, and it even had the "crease" in the side of it, so it looked stock. THOSE were nice. I just wouldn't think a bolt on extension that is welded in would look very good. Again. Just MY view.
You weld very very nice, btw. A LOT better than I could!!! :laugh:

I don't like the chromoly arms at all. They just don't fit the look of the Busa frame like the aluminum arms do.

I'll have to look into those, i agree on the bolts on though, would end up being alot more work to smooth and blend it all in. Gonna take it over to my buddy across the street and bounce some ideas off of him, its pretty rare i need guidance when it comes to metal work but he is a wicked bad*** chassis guy and welder, so after talking to him i guarantee we will have a plan :laugh:
That and all i'm finding are 4-7" extensions, i'm looking for around 12

Back