vegas, to SF, to LA, to vegas.....need help

TommyGunn1300

Registered
planning a ride from vegas to San Francisco, San Francisco to LA. any suggestions on route to take? i really want to go through death vally and maybe yosomite if it's worth it. i'm from NC so i don't have a clue what the best way to go would be. i just know after leaving SF i need to ride down to LA on the PCH. i need to be back in vegas wed afternoon or wed night. am i shooting too high? or can it be done? i'll be on a harley street glide and dont want to rush. am i asking for too much? i really dont want to rush it

What the hell are you doing on a Harley! In my opinion your going to be pushing it time wise and not seeing that much.

Are you able to do a map quest? I would think it could give you an idea of the time it would take. Best of luck and have a safe trip :thumbsup:

+ 1 to Map Quest. or Google Maps. Go with an average cruising speed of 75 mph. Figure an average of 170 miles/tank(with plenty on reserve), max of 15 minutes per gas stop (fill up, stretch out, bathroom, gear on/off).

Im sure the Harley will survive death valley just fine, those 1930's air cooled motors are champs:rofl:

Im NY and not very smart, so I'm no help. HAVE FUN!!!

Death Valley in August? You do realize it will be 118F for the high? And gas is about $6-7 a gallon down there. A ride thru Yosemite would be awesome.

What the hell are you doing on a Harley! In my opinion your going to be pushing it time wise and not seeing that much.

haha well they are the cheapest to rent. tried to find a busa but no luck

Death Valley in August? You do realize it will be 118F for the high? And gas is about $6-7 a gallon down there. A ride thru Yosemite would be awesome.

It will be the first week in November. hopefully it won't be too hot

i may try to cut it short so i have more time, but on the busa i can do 500 miles in one day no problem. What is Yosomite like?

If you have to choose between the 2...death valley or yosemite...choose yosemite!

Although in November, temperatures could be anything between 50 and a snowstorm there

Yosemite in November can be either a ride of a lifetime, or your worst nightmare. The weather will decide for you weather you live or die. :rofl:

It's a Federal/National Park, so the speed limits (which are too low) are enforced to the max. It's a shame, because it's a wonderful road. The scenery is breathtaking, so have a camera ready.

It can be nice at the entrance, but snow and ice on top. It get's uber cold at night, so dress warm.

The roads leading to the park are very curvey, so take it slow if the bike won't turn well. Going over a cliff will end your day real fast.

It's worth planning. You won't be dissapointed.

I would think Yosemite in November will not be possible on a bike. Not because of the temp, but most likely due to the snow on the ground. This is the road to Yosemite on the West side.

trip08.jpg

Death Valley would be a welcome 80F around that time. You could hit badwater basin and then you can say you have ridden a bike at the lowest point in North America, with an elevation of 282 ft below sea level.

I would think Yosemite in November will not be possible on a bike. Not because of the temp, but most likely due to the snow on the ground. This is the road to Yosemite on the West side.

trip08.jpg

You could hit badwater basin and then you can say you have ridden a bike at the lowest point in North America, with an elevation of 282 ft below sea level.

That sounds like a plan. i think what im going to do is ride death vally, cut across into CA and try to make it to Montary on the first day, ride to LA on the 2ed day, then have 2 days left to go where ever. maybe hoover dam or something.

If your in Vegas and have two days, take a 2-3 hr trip to Rachael, NV on the extraterrestrial highway to the little Aleinn bar. Down the road about 12 miles from there is the black mailbox at the restricted boundary that starts area 51.

IMG_1751.jpg

IMG_1755.jpg

Back