Variable CR

Commuta_Busa

Donating Member
Registered
Has anyone else heard about this tech?

Variable compression ratio

They're looking to support any engine demo's and productions :thumbsup:

Wouldn't it be nice to be able to have a high CR while in cruise mode to gain higher efficincies and then when hammering down to have a CR in a safe detonation free zone :bowdown:

I was just ready an article on this tech and thought I would share it with others. Unfortunatly I only have a hard copy of the article I'm reading but I included a link to the Go Engine information from the company. Enjoy

you know this has been fooled with over the years in different manners..

I think the first was with cam timing setups.. I think the big issue was cost followed by reliability.. I do know some industrial apps went into production but it was a mechanical/hydraulic cam timing setup.. (sorry no idea of specifics) but seems it used a system similar to a variable pitch prop with bearings and ramps..

always struck me as very neat.. run any fuel.. :)

Good in theory............................hopefully good in practical application:dunno:

I trust Randy on this...if he builds me one, I'll install it !!!! :super:

Heck with that variable eccentric geometry crank, just make elastic cylinder walls:laugh:

I've seen similar tech on cam timing as well. The whole essntric circle thing has been used in all kinds of applications. On race bikes they use it to adjust trail with the yoke, also the swingarm pivot point, hell, I know Kawasaki has used the same theory for drive chain adjustment for the rear axle.

This is really the first time I've seen something similar with the crank. They're looking at 300hp inline-4 as one of the designs. Based on that it sounds like a pretty durable jump off point. If you're focused on this level for something with a durability/longevity than there's room for higher hp apps as well. I could see this kind of app working well with a forced induction system. You would be able to ramp up inlet pressure and reduce the CR to keep everything in amanagable heat range.

The one thing that does concern me is the engine's redline.

To say the least, wonders have been done with the recipricating engine, but the inefficiencies:banghead:

Where is my turbine, Chrysler promised me in the sixties?, That's it! I'm calling Chrysler RIGHT NOW!

you mean fiat :laugh: I liked those ol' turbine cars. The engine compartment looked like a huge industrial sized pressure cooker :laugh:
To say the least, wonders have been done with the recipricating engine, but the inefficiencies:banghead:

Where is my turbine, Chrysler promised me in the sixties?, That's it! I'm calling Chrysler RIGHT NOW!

you could back your spark plug out or in and achieve the same thing...
:rofl:

Back