Vance & Hines S4 bolt-on muffler mod

mountainmotor

Donating Member
Registered
I noticed there have been some owners putting their Vance & Hines S4 Stainless bolt-on mufflers up for sale because they were too quiet . Here's a quick easy fix I just finished . Not many bolt on mufflers sound this good to my ears after modding and it's mainly due to lack of a chamber built into them like what's incorporated into the Vance & Hines design .

Disclaimer : Do so at your own risk . The pair I bought used already had some stripped cap screws that hold the exit tips on . I had a few spares from last time I modified a set of these mufflers . I just ground a slot with a small cut-off wheel then removed with a common tip screw driver .

Look down through there . The perforated flutes you see are inside the OEM midpipes . The chamber is on the inlet side  . From what I've determined , the chamber s what gives the deep tone at idle . Only ART and a couple other manufactures use these chambers that I know of .

View attachment 1141262

Here you see these have a removable baffle but the hitch is they use a decible killer inside . It's just tack welded though .

View attachment 1141263

Packing removed

View attachment 1141264

The exit cap and perforate tube are held together by three bolts .

View attachment 1141265

View attachment 1141266

Here is the decibel killer thats tack welded in two places .

View attachment 1141267

The baffle " 3rd pic has an inlet of 1.400 inside diameter . I cut mine off just aft of that inlet where it expands to a 2.250 muffler core diameter . Then I cut the DB killer welds and knocked it through , re-wrapped the packing and tightend the clamps and re-assembled .

Hope this helps some of the owners that hear nothing but chain on the hi-way . Or I should say race track . I assume this an illegal mod and for racing purposes only . Sure made my race bike sound better  
biggrin.gif

I for one love the sound of the vance & hines. Been in the dyno room with other slipons and these pipes rocked just as loud ! And a great look as well!And not a copy cat pipe.Most ppl get pipes because so and so has one,,lol.For me thats weak!
SHOCKED.gif

(NoFearSpear @ Jul. 16 2007,19:21) I for one love the sound of the vance & hines. Been in the dyno room with other slipons and these pipes rocked just as loud ! And a great look as well!And not a copy cat pipe.Most ppl get pipes because so and so has one,,lol.For me thats weak!  
SHOCKED.gif
Your titanium Vance & Hines are advertised as having a race core vs the stainless version street core .

What other brands bolt-on's that you have heard was close to the mufflers you just sold ? Louder, quieter than you titanium Vance & Hines?

BTW , I just noticed these mufflers have a built in support for the muffler core . That end of the 3rd pic sticks inside that 1.5 inch support . I made some more mods and the 1.4 inch diameter support hole is now ---- larger  
smile.gif
 Had to be for the other set of gutted mid-pipes that are going to be used . I could not see gutting them ,then restricting size further down the path .

Sorry for unburrying an OLLLDD thread but I tried to pm the op and I don't think it went through; I might not have those privileges yet.

Can the OP please repost the pics?! Just got a set of these cans and wouldn't mind them a bit louder.

Back