valve stem replacement with wheels installed??

hemi

Registered
have decided i'm gonna purchase the tiregard from pashnit today, along with the ariete 90 deg metal valve stems in black or red. Is it possible to replace the stems with the wheels/tires still mounted on the bike? If not, i guess i will dismount them and take the wheels to my local dealer. Curious if anybody has accomplished this with the wheels still mounted

Sorry gotta take the tires off....recommend you just wait til next tire change and do it then...

Ok, maybe i will do that and just use the tiregard on the rubber stems until i get time to remove the tires and take them to get removed

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I thought uncle steve did a writeup on this. I think he ended up having to take it off anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can run the Tire Gard sensors on the stock valve stems until you are ready to change the tires.

Sounds like a good plan, gonna place the order tonight

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I've changed a valve stem in a sportbike tire on the bike! I'm not saying it's the best way, but it can most certainly be done!
With the bike on stands and a C clamp(with wooden blocks to expand the area being compressed, and to not chew up the rubber) to break the bead you can change the valve stem. It can be a pain to flex the tire enough to get the old out/new in but it does work.
An extra set of hands squeezing the tire helps when starting to reinflate it too.
I changed a leaking valve stem this way before and it was much faster than removing the wheel then the tire.
Just never let it be said that it can't be done.

I wouldnt compress the sidewalls with a c clamp on a high performance tire even more the front one you risk damaging the sidewall construction. I am sure it can be done, but I wouldnt think it would do the sidewall construction of the tire any good.:beerchug:

I wouldnt compress the sidewalls with a c clamp on a high performance tire even more the front one you risk damaging the sidewall construction. I am sure it can be done, but I wouldnt think it would do the sidewall construction of the tire any good.:beerchug:

It was done out of need at the time, and suprisingly enough took almost no pressure to break the bead. It was also done with blocks about 6" long on each side. This caused no more flex than you would cause breaking the bead on a machine.

Maybe, but if the tire guards will work on the old stems, and the old stems are good, why take the risk of damaging what is still a good tire. Wait for tire change for those stems means you got the best chance of getting them in correctly.

Maybe, but if the tire guards will work on the old stems, and the old stems are good, why take the risk of damaging what is still a good tire. Wait for tire change for those stems means you got the best chance of getting them in correctly.

i agree, gonna order the 90deg stems and just wait to put them on, or maybe when i get a day off work take the wheels off to have them dis-mounted and stems installed. Just installed pirelli angel's probably 1k miles or so ago and have new rubber stems so they should hold up fine, but i'll keep an eye on them to make sure they don't look like they're cracking or anything

curious about the handheld monitor display though bc of the goldwing shown. I purchased the unit that has the 2 valve stem caps and the monitor shows a sport bike on the display, unless they changed the monitors to use all the same unit??

Not all are the same. Be careful with deals. I posted pictures of 3 brands a couple of years ago. You might search the thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back