Valve shimming

Fast Freddie

Registered
2002 Busa Can any one tell me what is involved when doing the shim on bucket with this motor. Do the Cams have to be removed when doing so. To cheap to by a busa manual for 200.00 buck. Can this operation be done with cam in place.??

Fast Freddie

It has been a long time since I adjusted valves on a dohc in line four. My 1978 KZ-1000 needed a special tool, as I recall, to compress the valve springs. The 'Busa should be similar. Removing the cam would not be the ticket in any case. The service manual is on line. How many miles on your bike?

If you have to ask these question don't do it.
they are shim UNDER bucket not OVER.
first adjustment is at 16K not before and I will put money not are out of adjustment even then

biggrin.gif
That's good to hear Cheese...

FWIW, my Busa and most every busa I have heard has a very noisy top end... Clickity clack, Rumble Rumble... Nature of the Beast, oh and the fact that it's a Zook, not a Honda.

first adjustment is at 16K not before and I will put money not are out of adjustment even then
In my case, it was just like Johnny said. I just checked mine at 15K miles. All of the valve clearances were within spec. To answer your question about the camshafts: yes, you will have to remove them to change the shims when the valve clearance gets out of tolerance. Over time, the valves constant slamming into their seats begin to deepen into their seats. This causes the clearance to get tighter. You need to get thinner shims to compensate. Make sure you have a set of feeler guages that go all the way down to .004 inches, as this is the minimum acceptable clearance for the intakes. I only had a .006 when I got inside mine. Since mine was OK, I didn't have to take out the camshafts. I'm glad I didn't because I'm a little nervous about it. You should be able to find a shop manual for around $60 if you look around online.

I with the CheeseMan. plus... You can get yer self a copy of the manual for free. Download it or ask someone for it on disc.

You dont wanna start goofin' around up there...

1zhelp.gif

I've noticed on my 04 Busa you can hear alot of ticking. I don't think it is all valve noise, The engine exhaust is so quiet I think it is the tick,tick,tick of the fuel injectors.

02 silver and grey checked valve clearance at 13k everyting right at the mean wwas really impressed with each valve having the same clearance (as i am a precision machinist i understand this completely)

Back