Valve inspection?

Jaysus

Bling Free
Donating Member
Registered
Those who have had it done where you out of spec on any of them? Is it really necessary? I'm at 15K now and don't think I need it.

I had my XX inspected once and the mechanic told me I wasted my money
because only one exhaust valve was a little tight but still in spec. And that was at 50k miles.

I am at 20k on my 08 and was kinda wondering the same thing, is it worth getting a valve job?
I was told its about a $400.00 job and is it a good idea to take it to a good mechanic who has a good reputation for doing those kind of things?

Checking 'em is no big deal. Not a $400 job. Adjusting 'em if they are out of tolerance MAY be a $400 job.

You can do it yourself if you're mechanically inclined and can read a shop manual.

I've always checked mine and the wiff's Gixxer every 15,000 miles and in a combined 6 times, nothing has ever been out of tolerance.

You just run the risk of an easy task turning into some other problem if you don't do it.

--Wag--

I just had mine checked at 14,800 miles yesterday, but only because I have a maintenance plan on the bike, and it was done for free. All valves were within spec. If I didn't have the free service, I would not have bothered with it at 15k. Heck, the XX valves were still within spec the last time the were checked at 65k

I would have them check and go from there. I would pay a little bit of money to have them checked to make sure they are still within spec. The mechanic can always call you and let you know if they need to be done and what the price will be.

MOST of the time, they're going to be in spec. Once in a while, though......

--Wag--

The Gen I valves were always considered good for 20k miles unless you raced it.
The Gen II valves got me a little worried because they are (softer) Titanium, but the valve spring pressure is so light that there doesn't seem to be any valve seat recession.
After 1500 race miles (no street miles) with the limiter set at 11500, the valves were perfect / mid specification. Safe to say they will last to 20k in my opinion.

The Titanium's are also a two piece valve on top of the other unknowns. I would do 15-30-45-60K (use good gas and good oil) ...have only seen a Busa with 62K anything else would be BS. Valve tolorences should be dead center of the scale across the board unless using big cams.

Last edited:
I was a BMW factory master tech and in the 8 years I worked for them I never saw an M3 that was out of spec (you check them every major service, every 15K) and I saw some as high as 150K Mi. It is a waste of time in my opinion unless you have run the vehicle low on oil or some other such BS that would cause metal to metal contact.

Just my opinion but I don't think the valve material would matter in this case either because there should be an oil film separating the cam lobes and the lifter buckets over the valves anyway.

I have 40k on my g1 06 and i have had them checked every 15. got one coming up. I paid around $130 for the check. To me its worth it. Im not good enough to check them myself but I do have people I trust. Its worth the piece of mind to me on this. They have never needed adjusting yet.

Although neither of the bikes has ever been out of spec, the measurements DO change in between checks.

Check 'em and be content!

--Wag--

I have 40k on my g1 06 and i have had them checked every 15. got one coming up. I paid around $130 for the check. To me its worth it. Im not good enough to check them myself but I do have people I trust. Its worth the piece of mind to me on this. They have never needed adjusting yet.

$130 for a valve inspection is a great deal.. I think the dealer book has it as a 4 hour+ job.

2 hours max for me, to check and that's taking my time.

Adjusting might be 4 hours though.

--Wag--

Back