Valve clearance check

onehelipainter

Registered
Ok manual says bring #1 piston to TDC , check to make sure timing mark is lined up. Why does it say to check clearance on #4 valves? I thought you check valves when piston at TDC= valves for that cylinder closed.

Screenshot_20190715-131648.png

still says nothing about checking #1 valves when #1 is at TDC
Ok, when No 1 is at TDC COMPRESSION stroke and firing, you check all 4 valves of No 1, check exhaust valves on No 3 cyl, check inlet valves on No 2 cyl
Then rotate crank 360 degrees and then check all 4 valves of No 4 cylinder, exhaust valves of No 2 cyl, and inlet valves of No 3 cyl
This sequence enables you to check all 16 valves in only 1 rotation of the crank.
This is to help you understand the best and simplest way to check valves. :thumbsup:

Ok how do reset the Cct? This one has no bolt atView attachment 1601638 the rear.

they are over due... bike is at 60k mi last insp,was at 24k

Is it ticking?

I suppose sometimes they can tighten up too...I met a guy one evening who has a copper '99 bike and had it since new, it has 125,000kms on it and he checked the valves at each required interval and has yet to need adjustment.

Professor Bryan...eve a tool belt for dramatic effect....

Good video, bucket and shims have always kind of made me hesitate to do them....not now.
I was @ work in a high school fixing stuff as usual. Just made a few minutes of time to explain the quick way to measure it out.
Had to do it twice as camera couldn't see the green marker from its fist point of view.

Cam chain tensioner I believe has oil preasure driving it on the bird. Haven't had to service one yet. I'm also to tired to go crack the book open in my hot garage currently.

I will say this . . . every Busa we service from new has a full service history and very very seldom is a valve shim replacement/adjustment required.
My own Busa, with 115,000kms on it, had 3 out of 16 'borderline' clearances, on the tight side, but still within spec only just!
So they are very well set up from new and reliable through their service life, as we all know :bowdown:

C10 Thank you for all your help. I reset it the first ti9me and it didnt release as it was supposed to. I had the plunger in to far. went back and read info you posted and reset tensioner per instructions. looks like that will work. gasket got messed up so have to wait till tomorrow to get new one

Reactions: c10
Back