V8 Busa Motor

V8 Busa

Registered
Goal:
Design a v8 using Busa parts similar to a Hartley, synergy or RPE V8
Should use as many stock parts as necessary
maintain characteristics of a stock busa but with twice the power
crankcase and crankshaft must be machinable on a 4 axis mill

There is so much to do on this project that I won't really have time to do a full write up. I'll probably just post solutions and tricks that I found helpful as well as vague updates and cool pics. If anybody really wants to talk engineering i'd be happy to discuss and they should shoot me a PM.

Last edited:
I heard the RPE and hartley motor's both chewed up bearings for a a couple reasons which has me pioritizing block stiffness as well as controlling secondary free forces. So I've spent a bit of time calculating these forces. Shown below I compare free forces of a 90 deg vs a 75deg (hartley) motor with no balance shafts. I'm not sure how accurate the numbers are but what can be taken away is that the 75 deg vee has about 17% more free forces and neither they nor RPE runs balance shafts, this should give me a bit of safety factor for these forces if I decide not to run them. Unless I really need to scrap them though, I'm going to try to incorporate 2 stock balance shafts, one running off the other on the side of the motor to cancel about 70% of these forces in an attempt to reduce bearing wear and extend the service interval of the engine past that of RPE's 40 hours recommendation. Using these balance shafts means I need to cut a big gear in the center of the crank just like a stock busa :/

1564788511922.png
1564788530083.png

Last edited:
Are you just making an engine or is this going in a vehicle? I ask because the simple answer would be a W8, since the drives come out of the side and not the front or back right? If you don't want a lot of garbage in your thread, let us know and we'll start a separate comment/discussion thread and this one can be clean.

@Sandow oh....I see
yeah, best not to clog this up then... the reason for a flat plane v8 is because I can use stock jugs, heads and cams. I could redesign all of those parts but they wouldn't be as cheap or good and would be time consuming to design.

If I was truly courageous I would make a flat-8 so I could have a better CG and wouldn't have to worry about balance. Alas I don't want to have to split the case every time I need to change bearings (which could be often) and I don't want to pay for custom rods so I settled on a flat plane v8

some basic motion animation, CGs look good

Prelim modal analysis looks fine, no natural frequencies in the operating range 1k rpm - 12k rpm

crank 7.25 no counter weights modal analysis.PNG

Next move I think is to move my balancing work into my comprehensive Matlab script and refine the mechanical design of the cranshaft. I really need a busa crankshaft to figure out what they did with counterweights and balanceshaft to see how my estimates compare.

Design a v8 using Busa parts similar to a Hartley, synergy or RPE V8
Should use as many stock parts as necessary
maintain characteristics of a stock busa but with twice the power
crankcase and crankshaft must be machinable on a 4 axis mill

There is so much to do on this project that I won't really have time to do a full write up. I'll probably just post solutions and tricks that I found helpful as well as vague updates and cool pics. If anybody really wants to talk engineering i'd be happy to discuss and they should shoot me a PM.
Hi I am building a wild bike myself. Do 'you have any plans for the motor? bike,car,boat or airplane? I need to hook up with an engineer. Do you like LSR racing, drag racing?

Hi I am building a wild bike myself. Do 'you have any plans for the motor? bike,car,boat or airplane? I need to hook up with an engineer. Do you like LSR racing, drag racing?

Realistically this project will take 1 - 3 years to complete. It really depends what vehicles I've got around at than point in time, I've got a 944 right now that it would be fun/straightforward to swap into. Although I could probably convince a couple buddies of mine to drop it in a Formula SAE frame that we have access to.

I'm intrigued by any type of racing but due to my experience I'm mostly familiar with autocross and Formula SAE. What're you building the bike for?

Realistically this project will take 1 - 3 years to complete. It really depends what vehicles I've got around at than point in time, I've got a 944 right now that it would be fun/straightforward to swap into. Although I could probably convince a couple buddies of mine to drop it in a Formula SAE frame that we have access to.

I'm intrigued by any type of racing but due to my experience I'm mostly familiar with autocross and Formula SAE. What're you building the bike for?
Hi. ME with my LOLA T142 F5000 at Mid Ohio early 70s.

Back