V65 comparison

A good friend of mine bought a mint '83 V65 Magna exactly 5 days before I bought my Busa (which was last Thursday).

Before he bought the V65 I took it out for a test spin. I guarantee many of the guys commenting here have NEVER been near a V65 let alone ridden one.

If you've been able to handle a V65 for a number of years you'll have no problem with the Busa. There's a reason the V65 was in the Guiness Book of World Records.

There are different kinds of fast and as far as off the line acceleration goes, the V65 and Busa can both have you laying on your back without even trying...it all comes down to keeping the front wheel down. The Magna is a cruiser so of course the handling characteristics aren't going to be the same. Your 6th gear is also way too high...with a final gear mod for a slightly lower ratio you'll get to nearly 170 mph plus a better ¼ mile acceleration time!

I do get tired of the "oooooh it's all about technology" comments. My Honda CXT's are over 20 years old. They both have electronic fuel injection. When I turn the key the fuel pump whirrrs just like my Busa. The onboard computer has 3D low and high speed maps along with a 3rd back up map. They are also self diagnosing, no need to plug in a scanner since the ECM has a bank of LEDS that will pinpoint problems with incredible accuracy. The front and rear suspensions are great with plenty of adjustments.
The Turbo's for my little Vee-Twins weren't some aftermarket add on, right from the factory the 500T runs at 19.3 psi of boost and the 650T at 16.5 psi and that's on pump gas!
Once again there are different kinds of speed and the CXT's suck in the quarter mile, the 650T is only good for high 11's.
However if I'm cruising along in top gear at 50 mph and want some instant insane speed all I need to do is twist the throttle and I'm in triple digits instantly. The same thrill takes at least one down shift on the Busa.

Another good friend has a '99 Magna V45 and it has respectable power yet it's like a moped compared to the V65.

And for the guy that asked, the V-MAX smokes the V-65.

my first post, i've had bikes all 33yrs of my life.  as far as street bikes i like the older muscle bikes. the kawie 1985 ZL900 eliminator (sold recently), and the 1984 honda V65 magna(still in the garage).  i am not interested in top speed. acceleration is what i'm after and alittle comfort.  the V65 in its time ran a 11 flat.  i can cruise comfortably at 100 to 110mph with a fairing no problem.  the torque is awesome on the V-4.  what exactly would i gain by buying a BUSA?  1 more second in the 1/4 mile?  you guys have these bikes, are they as fast as you say?  i've launched the eliminator at 8500rpms and its a rush.  thats a bad bike.  i'm living in the 80's here.  10 G's for the bike is nothing, but is it that much quicker? anybody out there ran a V65? thanks for the input.

bone
<span style='color:blue'></span>

Bro,

Flush out your headgear and live in the "NOW"!  I've owned and ran hard both a 1983 V65 Magna (first year), and a 2000 V-Max.  In it's day, the Magna was boss - I'll give ya that much.  Although they are excellent muscle bikes, and may do well in a Quarter, the 'Busa would leave the riders sucking their thumbs at the starting line.  In 2001 I bought my 'Busa - traded the V-Max with only 3k on it.  I lost my ass on that deal but it was worth it.  My 'Busa is still stock (not for long) and can turn and burn with the best of them.  If I had money though, I woulda held on to the Magna too, for cruise rides for me and the wife.  That Magna was one sweet ride and I regreted selling it.

There's a reason the V65 was in the Guiness Book of World Records.
There's also a reason that they update the Guiness book once in a while
tounge.gif

Had a new V65 Magna. In its time it was a great bike. But modern tech has walked on. In it's time the V65 was a great bike for the purpose it was intended 20 years ago; however, the busa is very comfortable, very smooth, fuel injected, has adjustable suspension front and rear, handles 100% better than the V65. I do 300 to 500 mile days on the Busa. When get home from a day of riding, I wish I could have kept going. Yes the V65 was a great bike in its day, but the Busa is an incredable bike today, and in the days and years to come. It was ahead of its time when it was introduced in 1999, and it still is. I have a 1998 Ducati ST2 setting in my garage. I still love the Duc, but it is seldem riden anymore. The Busa has really gotten my attention. Good luck... ride a Busa and you won't have to ask what the difference is, cause you will know.

Turbo Torch, I would deeply suggest that you get more than 6 days riding on the Busa before you decide that it can t keep up with a V65, sounds like your shifting too early..... I owned, rode and maintained a 65 and it was a lot of fun.... Line up next to your buddy and get it on, part of the problem with the Hayabusa is that the power is so smooth and easy it can be deceiving. Ifyour comfortable ride the bike hard, line up against whatever you want and if you know how to ride your gonna win. There are always exceptions and I would list those as the 1k bikes of today. Try it for awhile before you give up on it....

Cap

FOR SOMEONE TRYING TO DECIDE TO BUY A BUSA, I AGREE GO FIND SOMEWHERE TO RIDE ONE ... ONCE I RODE ONE I SOLD MY OLD BANDIT 1200 IN 3 WEEKS AND BOUGHT A BUSA A MONTH LATER... GO RIDE AND FEEL HOW SMOOTH AND POWERFULL THEY ARE... GOOD LUCK
smile.gif

Hey one of my first bikes was a Kawi triple marble banger, it was in the world record book also. Don't think I want to trade my Busa back for it though. Ride what you are happy with, but give each bike a chance if you are looking for change.

Turbo Torch, I would deeply suggest that you get more than 6 days riding on the Busa before you decide that it can t keep up with a V65, sounds like your shifting too early[/QUOTE]

I read my post over and I don't see where I ever stated the Busa couldn't keep up with a V-65. I'm still breaking in the Busa and I have no doubt I could SMEAR the V-65 without me even going past 5K rpm.

The point I'm trying to get across is that the guy will have no problem going from a V-65 to a Busa. I can't think of any *current* boulevard cruiser (with the exception of the V-Max) that the V-65 couldn't waste. Blows holes in the theory that newer is always faster and better.

Try it for awhile before you give up on it....[/QUOTE]

Oh come on! Give up on it?!? You're reading too much into my posts
smile.gif

I bought a v65 magna new back in 83. I still miss that bike. Do yourself a favor and and keep that v65 parked right next to the busa in the garage.

Turbo Torch, I would deeply suggest that you get more than 6 days riding on the Busa before you decide that it can t keep up with a V65, sounds like your shifting too early

I read my post over and I don't see where I ever stated the Busa couldn't keep up with a V-65.  I'm still breaking in the Busa and I have no doubt I could SMEAR the V-65 without me even going past 5K rpm.

The point I'm trying to get across is that the guy will have no problem going from a V-65 to a Busa.  I can't think of any *current* boulevard cruiser (with the exception of the V-Max) that the V-65 couldn't waste.  Blows holes in the theory that newer is always faster and better.

Oh come on!  Give up on it?!?  You're reading too much into my posts
smile.gif
[/QUOTE]
The point is: He is asking if we think that the Busa is enough quicker than his V65 to be worth purchasing.
We are trying to explain to him that it is deffinately alot quicker than his V65, and it is deffinately worth buying if he's looking for a quicker bike.
We're not at all saying he can't handle one, and the few comments that point towards that possibility such as the one that I myself typed is just a joke........lighten up a bit dude......we're here to have some fun, and learn.

Oh yeah......I don't think I've welcomed you to the board yet.
Welcome
beerchug.gif

thanks for all the feedback, this is a cool site and i took no offense to any post. i went to the dealer and $12300 is the drive out price. i didnt deal cause i'm still thinking. THAN i called the insurance place and they want 1850 a year for full coverage. dang. the lady said its not "if they get a claim" its "when they get a claim". also, its only $87 for liabity. is it worth 150 bucks a month for full coverage, heck 5 years and the bikes paid for in premiums. wow.

i hate to ask but is the liter class bikes in the same insurance bracket as the BUSA?

i'll pay cash so a 12300 doesnt cost me 18000 in finance fees, but hate to carry libialty(sp) and get the bad boy stolen and lose it all.

do you guys pay the high cost of insurance?

bone

You should be able to get them down well below $10K out the door. The red SE will be quite a bit higher for nothing more than a color change.

I'm still in a pissed off mood over my insurance. Got home from work today and there's a letter from my insurance agent. They want an additional $263 from me for insurance! I had a quote weeks before I bought the bike for $525. They ran it through again the day I bought the bike and it was still $525. Signed everything and paid them $525...great deal and I'm happy with it.
Now all of a sudden they want $788 a year. Any lawyers on here? Is this even legal?
Called the agent and she had no clue other than I probably had some accidents or tickets that brought the total up and she'd call me back on Monday.
Funny, I've NEVER been in an accident and the last ticket I received was in 1989.
Called a few other places this evening...
Progressive wants nearly $2000 a year.
Motorcycle Services doesn't list the bike and when I called and said GSX1300R I got an instant "we don't insure that bike".
Dairyland is on crack wanting $4,160 a year!

I think Monday I'm going to stop by State Farm and see what I can get for my house, cars and Busa.

Sorry but I just had to vent over this BS.

I bought a v65 magna new back in 83. I still miss that bike. Do yourself a favor and and keep that v65 parked right next to the busa in the garage.
<span style='color:blue'></span>

My thoughts exactly. I cried when I signed the title over on my 1983 '65Mag. I knew I was saying goobye to a piece of history. Did not want to part with it. If you own one now, HOLD ONTO IT! In this world of ever-increasing fuel prices, the Busa will cost about $10.00-12.00 to fill, but the Magna will get you farther. If it's possible man, enjoy the best of both worlds - the "Old School" and the "New School".

State Farm should do the trick.

$12 For a Busa is robbery bro! Straight up getting the shaft... Keep shopping, Take your time and get what you want. OH, and I am willing to bet that you will be able to find a a left over 2004 SE early next year and walk out for less than $10K, or just over. That color choice is going to bite Suzuki in the Butt. Doesn't seem to be going over to well here in Florida. So if you are patient you will get what you want for the price you want. You could also just keep an eye out for a barely used one and pay just about $9k even.. You just have to wait for someone to scare themselves off of it... Happens more than you would think...

bone,

Keep shopping for insurance! With your age you should be able to get under $1,000 for FULL coverage. If all else fails get Liabilitry WITH THEFT!

As for price, look around. I am from Houston and most of the dealers around there don't like to deal. Unless K's has changed they won't do crap below the MSRP. Your best bet is one of the Cycle Shack's. Try Cycle Shack North in Conroe.

If your willing to travel a little you can get them for $9,500 + Fee's or around $10,000 OTD!

Good luck and post pics when you get it!

Josh
pirate.gif

P.S. What part of Houston are you from?

The V-65 is a fun bike and a fast bike, but doesn't compare to the Busa in any category. I too wish I'd kept one of mine. I had the '83 and the '86. The transition will be easy and exciting going from the V-65 to the Busa.

DJ

MyBike3.jpg

Turbo Torch, I would deeply suggest that you get more than 6 days riding on the Busa before you decide that it can t keep up with a V65, sounds like your shifting too early

I read my post over and I don't see where I ever stated the Busa couldn't keep up with a V-65.  I'm still breaking in the Busa and I have no doubt I could SMEAR the V-65 without me even going past 5K rpm.

The point I'm trying to get across is that the guy will have no problem going from a V-65 to a Busa.  I can't think of any *current* boulevard cruiser (with the exception of the V-Max) that the V-65 couldn't waste.  Blows holes in the theory that newer is always faster and better.

Oh come on!  Give up on it?!?  You're reading too much into my posts
smile.gif
[/QUOTE]
Sounds better. we get to be a little touchy when the facts don't match.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
Point is you will ahve a blast.....

biggrin.gif

I just turned 24 and my insurance on the busa (full coverage) is 60$ a month. Get in touch with state farm. My girl pays 26$ a month for her 94 F2 (full coverage) she is 22. I have never road the bike that you have but there is no doubt in my mind that the busa ("speed") will be alot different than your current bike.

Back