V65 comparison

bone

Registered
my first post, i've had bikes all 33yrs of my life. as far as street bikes i like the older muscle bikes. the kawie 1985 ZL900 eliminator (sold recently), and the 1984 honda V65 magna(still in the garage). i am not interested in top speed. acceleration is what i'm after and alittle comfort. the V65 in its time ran a 11 flat. i can cruise comfortably at 100 to 110mph with a fairing no problem. the torque is awesome on the V-4. what exactly would i gain by buying a BUSA? 1 more second in the 1/4 mile? you guys have these bikes, are they as fast as you say? i've launched the eliminator at 8500rpms and its a rush. thats a bad bike. i'm living in the 80's here. 10 G's for the bike is nothing, but is it that much quicker? anybody out there ran a V65? thanks for the input.

bone

You're yanking our chains right!!!

Welcome to the board dude.
beerchug.gif

my first post, i've had bikes all 33yrs of my life.  as far as street bikes i like the older muscle bikes. the kawie 1985 ZL900 eliminator (sold recently), and the 1984 honda V65 magna(still in the garage).  i am not interested in top speed. acceleration is what i'm after and alittle comfort.  the V65 in its time ran a 11 flat.  i can cruise comfortably at 100 to 110mph with a fairing no problem.  the torque is awesome on the V-4.  what exactly would i gain by buying a BUSA?  1 more second in the 1/4 mile?  you guys have these bikes, are they as fast as you say?  i've launched the eliminator at 8500rpms and its a rush.  thats a bad bike.  i'm living in the 80's here.  10 G's for the bike is nothing, but is it that much quicker? anybody out there ran a V65? thanks for the input.

bone
I'm not trying to make you feel bad, but are you really asking these questions?

Expect to cruise comfortably at 135-155 (yes I'm serious) Expect to smoke the back wheel often under hard acceleration (especially when you hammer it outta the turns.) And most importantly! Don't ever think about lettin' that clutch go at 8500rpms unless you feel like wearing a tank on your chest.

Comparing the two would be like comparing a stock four cylinder import to a moded Dodge Viper

Man I had V45 Sabre and V65 and a busa, let me say the differnece is like a horse drawn carriage and a 2004 Cadillac you can figure out which is what respectively. Hang on, Hang on......... The old bikes were fun but cannot even compare to the torque or accelleration of the new bikes, not just the busa but the gsxr 1k, the new honda 1k, the r1 or the zx10. You will be amazed..

cap

How do I say this without seeming rude?
rock.gif
?

The V65 may be a half decently quick 20 year old cruiser, but yer in for a handful if you think it's anywhere near....... even in the same State as a Busa.
These are one of the quickest stock bikes in the world.....you should maybe take one for a test before you go laying 10k down for something that might scare you.

I'm not being an ass, and I don't wanna piss you off, just tryin to help out.
beerchug.gif

LEts get some perspective. When I ball (Speed) with other bikes. WHen they start tucking at 110-120 mph. I'm still sitting straight up. I dont start tucking till 140-150mph. Not becasue i'm cocky. THe busa is so fast, by the time i figure out how fast im going i'm hitting a buck fifty!!
wink.gif

LEts get some perspective.  When I ball (Speed) with other bikes.  WHen they start tucking at 110-120 mph.  I'm still sitting straight up.  I dont start tucking till 140-150mph.  Not becasue i'm cocky.  THe busa is so fast, by the time i figure out how fast im going i'm hitting a buck fifty!!
wink.gif
Yep....same for me......exactly......anyone else notice this.

"V65 Power in 1983 was 105bhp, with torque of 68.86ft/lb's. Wet weight was 574lb's." Busa = 158hp, 98 torque, 560 wet. If you wanna talk seconds, might as well go for a 600. I hear they are only a second or two behind liter bikes at the strip. You are also talking 20 years improvment on technology on everything from wheel bearings to seat materials. Good luck with your decision.

i hear you guys, i can imagine the power, but time stands constant. 1 second faster in the 1/4 mile is all the BUSA has to offer me. i want the bike, and am going to keep it stock. so a stock BUSA is really that fast? i know you guys improve on these things and make super fast. but have you ridden a V65?? i'm not hung up on the bike, but it's performance figures are what they are. i think the torque figures on the two bikes are the same. not bad for a 20 yr old bike. i welcome all comments. best i learn it hear before i buy. thanks guys.

bone

Hey Bone....are these magazine figures you're reading, or you've actually ran an 11 flat on a V65.
Not bein rude again here.......but I just can't see it.
Another thing though by the way is........most Busas with a decent rider that weighs around 200 will break into the 9's quite handily, as low as 9.70 and change
That's a massive difference, from an 11 flat, to a high 9......we're talking 20+ bike lengths...give or take.

My is remaining stock and it is pretty fast. I had a hopped up Ninja 1000 that scared the mechanics that worked on it, so I am kinda used to the speed. But I see lots of people come here and say things like -- I been riding 30 years and thought I had a fast bike, but then I bought my busa and HOLY MOTHER OF GOD AND SWEET MARY AND JESUS THIS BIKE IS INSANE! After reading that about 10 times, there must be something to it. Remember, it's a whole different style of bike than your V65. You have a fast bike... the busa does alot more that just speed VERY WELL. Ever haul a passenger 0-60 in 3 seconds and on up to 160? They realy like that sometimes. Busa can do it yawning. Food for thought. Go check out many many other bike type forums: R1, ZX??, CBR... busa is the standard to race or aspire to or beat with mods. The new liters are coming on very strong this year, but without the weight, the areodynamics, a shot at 200mph is a death ride from hell, not a graceful taste of heaven. The busa will be dethroned soon because time marches on, but there is a reason others try to beat it, and that reason is because it is the best.

<!--EDIT|WWJD
Reason for Edit: None given...|1081481021 -->

My is remaining stock and it is pretty fast.  I had a hopped up Ninja 1000 that scared the mechanics that worked on it, so I am kinda used to the speed.  But I see lots of people come here and say things like --  I been riding 30 years and thought I had a fast bike, but then I bought my busa and HOLY MOTHER OF GOD AND SWEET MARY AND JESUS THIS BIKE IS INSANE!  After reading that about 10 times, there must be something to it.   Remember, it's a whole different style of bike than your V65.  You have a fast bike... the busa does alot more that just speed VERY WELL.   Ever haul a passenger 0-60 in 3 seconds and on up to 160?  They realy like that sometimes.  Busa can do it yawning.  Food for thought.  Go check out many many other bike type forums:  R1, ZX??, CBR... busa us the standard to race or aspire to or beat with mods.  The new liters are coming on very strong this year, but without the weight, the areodynamics, a shot at 200mph is a death ride from hell, not a graceful taste of heaven.  The busa will be dethroned soon because time marches one, but there is a reason others try to beat it, and that reason is because it is the best.
Yes......very well put indeed!!!

i want to thank you guys for the input. i've always thought that it'll be as fast as they say just took you guys to give it to me straight. QUESTION, do dealers deal on prices on bikes these days? i have an 93 xr650l i bought brand new for sticker, no deals!! not sure if you can bargain with them. from suzuki's web site there arent many extras to buying one of there bikes. just asking. thanks and the V65 will be the grocery getter from now on. i'd still like to line up with a BUSA on the street and give it a go, remember, not all riders know how to ride!!!!!

bone

Hey Bone, Find a dealer that has a couple of 03s still on the floor. Tell them you want it for $10K including Tax tags Title, they may look at you funny, but chances are they will bite. Generally there is some squish in there...

Seriously though when it comes to performance there is no comparing the V45/V65 with a Busa, in corners, stopping, or straight line. You will be properly amazed. No BS.

I say the only way to truely feel the insanity for yourself is find a friend who owns one (one in every city) and request a test drve due to interest in buying. Your right wrist will speak for itself! PLEASE no launching at 8500rpm, we don't want to read about you. Be safe and ride one..you won't be dissapointed!

banner_metalic.jpg

I have rode many bikes. I got my Busa in Feb. It is everything you have read or heard about. By far the best bike I have ever been on and boy does she make heads turn. She's a real looker too!
bowdown.gif

Plus you can do so much more to a Busa when you want to. If you are really racing a second diffrence is an incredible difference in timing. 1/10 of a second is like 20 miles per hour and the end of the run.

Back