V. Rossi up for award

Busa_05

Busa Legend
Donating Member
Registered
Thought some of you guys and gals might be interested in this.

MotoGP News

Rossi in line for the Laureus Award
News, 03/08/05

MotoGP World Champion Valentino Rossi has been nominated for the Laureus World Sportsman of the Year Award, recognised as the premier honour on the international sporting calendar.

Last year, Rossi successfully defended his title in the premier class and became the first rider to win the MotoGP World Championship on a Yamaha since Wayne Rainey in 1992. The Italian completed an amazing first year with the Japanese factory after a controversial switch from their great rivals Honda: he scored nine victories and took his fourth consecutive MotoGP title.

Rossi will be up for the award against five others: American youngster Michael Phelps, who took six swimming gold medals at Athens 2004 Olympic Games, but also Hicham El Guerrouj who became the first man in 80 years to win both the 1,500 metres and the 5,000 metres at the Olympic Games, American Lance Armstrong, winner of a record sixth successive Tour de France in 2004, Switzerland’s accomplished world tennis No.1 Roger Federer, winner of three Grand Slam tennis events in 2004, Germany’s Michael Schumacher, winner of his seventh Formula One World Championship.

The name of the winner, as voted by the Laureus World Sports Academy, will be unveiled during a televised Awards Ceremony staged at Estoril, Portugal, on the evening of May 16, 2005.

beerchug.gif

Lots of good names in that group! Be interesting to see who wins.

Yeah...I thought it was kind of cool. A guy coming from the moto grand prix and having his name included with athletes from various disciplines. I love road racing: Moto GP, supersport, superbike, etc...but I think Lance Armstrong would have to have my vote.
smile.gif

Back