Votes: 8 22.2%
  • Reduce work force.

Votes: 10 27.8%

• Total voters

runeight

why ask why
Donating Member
Registered
What does the future hold for the USPS? Good question.

Did you know..

USPS lost 2 billion last year.

Eight (8) out of ten (10) dollars profit goes to it's employees. (UPS 55%/FedX 40%) Past Union Contracts lock in "no layoff" policies. (lower 16000 employees under different agreements)

Could your business run this way?

Unreal.

http://www.btobonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080912/MEDIABUSINESS/309159990/1125/FREE

http://postal-newsgroup.blogspot.com/2008/10/usps-financial-difficulties-and.html

r8

(sorry postal, it's a mess)

Last edited:
Wow, I did not know that. Plus it is a private business isn't it? Meaning Poastal workers are not government employees.

It's a hybrid of sorts I think. Don't worry the government will fix it until it's completely broke

Wow, I did not know that. Plus it is a private business isn't it? Meaning Poastal workers are not government employees.

yeah it's a private buisiness....they're just held under federal mandates. USPS in on it's last leg anyway...i'm suprised that high speed logistics and the interweb haven't slayed that monster already.

yeah it's a private buisiness....they're just held under federal mandates. USPS in on it's last leg anyway...i'm suprised that high speed logistics and the interweb haven't slayed that monster already.

Hey another candidate for a bailout...

USPS has become a "charity for it's employees".

8 out of 10 bucks goes to them? Unbelievable.

r8

I know that I have found it more convenient to pay bills online or via phone. Plus, I have gotten really ticked at the growing prices of stamps. I know that it is only a couple of pennies each time, but for the price of stamps to go up twice within a five month period in 2008 that is RIDICULOUS!

r8

Yes, this is incredible and had no idea that it was this bad. It is much more then charity it is 'welfare' for its employees and the service? What a laugh. I agree with Mrs.Rubber2Burn, I too have found it better to pay the majority of my bills over the internet. Any time I launch some snail mail I am never sure if it is going to show up or not.

Well the USPS has the option to raise their rates as needed and you can be sure their rates will be published and effective around Jan 18th 2009 see link USPS - Shipping Services January 18 Pricing Change

Also I could never figure out why a person has to walk up and down my block 5 days per week? Why not deliver the Mail on Mon, Wed and Fri only. What could be so important that I need this stuff on Tue or Wed.

Or they should just do like they do it in the county. Put large blocks of mailboxes at the corners of the streets and we could get off our own arse and walk down or drive down to get our mail?

What does the future hold for the USPS? Good question.

Did you know..

USPS lost 2 billion last year.

Eight (8) out of ten (10) dollars profit goes to it's employees. (UPS 55%/FedX 40%) Past Union Contracts lock in "no layoff" policies. (lower 16000 employees under different agreements)

Could your business run this way?

Unreal.

USPS' financial woes worry circulators :: Media Business

The Postal Newsgroup: USPS Financial Difficulties And the Possibility of Layoffs USPS Financial Difficulties And the Possibility of Layoffs

r8

(sorry postal, it's a mess)

Not a problem, let me give you the inside scoop.

We actually lost 2.8 billion this year, mostly due to gas prices and higher operating expenses due to a bad economy. Every company in the US is faced with the same thing and many are struggeling. We (the USPS) are in the middle of a RIF (reduction in force), essentially the same thing as a layoff.

The "8 out of 10" statement is not correct. First of all no employees collect any profit whatsoever. We get paid on a scale of wages by grade, much the same as the Federal Government, only less. I am a Program Manager in IT (Information Technology), and I make about $20,000 less per year than my Federal Government counterparts, that you fund with your tax dollars. I think where you may be going with the 8 out of 10 thing may translate to the 80% rule of business, which means that most corporations have to put out about 80% of their income to fund employee's salaries and benefits. This is common in corporate America. I doubt the percentages for Fedex and UPS that you showed, it sounds wrong purely from a business perspective. They operate similar to us, they are a US corporation, and have the same issues we have as far as operating expenses.

The no layoff clause in our business is solely due to the power of the APWU (American Postal Workers Union), one of the most powerful unions in the US. They negotiated this clause back in the 70's when the US Postal Department became the US Postal Service. Our management has nothing to do with this, and has been trying to get it changed for years. Keep in mind that we, the administrative employees in the USPS have no such protection and are, like I said, going through layoffs right now. The 16,000 union people you mention are indeed subject to layoffs because they have not met their six-year employment time yet, and are not protected under the union "no-layoff" clause.

Another common misconception is that tax dollars fund the USPS. Nothing could be further from the truth. Since about 1973 the USPS has been mandated by Congress to raise our own revenue through mailing services and through stamp sales. We have done so, with some years under, and some years over. Last year the President signed the Postal Reformation Legislation act that freed us from the mandate of breaking even, and freed us from the constraints of pricing our goods and service under the restrictions of the Postal Rate Commission (PRC). We can now adjust our prices like other businesses to be competitive, and to keep revenue in line with operational expenses, but since that act was just signed, it will take approximately two more years to get our prices in line with expenses. That said, with the latest turn in the conomy, not many businesses are doing well right now, so why should the USPS be held to a different standard? Our delivery scores are among the highest ever, with 98% on time delivery for many of our services. Not bad compared to the billions of pieces of mail we deliver each day, that's right, each day.

Check your prices for mailing a letter around the world, you will see that the USPS still does it cheaper and faster than anyone. Compare shipping prices with Fedex and UPS for similar services, i.e. Overnight, 2-3 day, bulk, you will see that no one does it cheaper than the USPS.

It's okay to bash on the USPS, just be sure you have your facts in order. We are trying to do a good job. No hard feelings.

Take care,

P.

:beerchug:

We actually lost 2.8 billion this year, mostly due to gas prices and higher operating expenses due to a bad economy. Every company in the US is faced with the same thing and many are struggeling. We (the USPS) are in the middle of a RIF (reduction in force), essentially the same thing as a layoff.

The "8 out of 10" statement is not correct. First of all no employees collect any profit whatsoever. We get paid on a scale of wages by grade, much the same as the Federal Government, only less. I am a Program Manager in IT (Information Technology), and I make about $20,000 less per year than my Federal Government counterparts, that you fund with your tax dollars. I think where you may be going with the 8 out of 10 thing may translate to the 80% rule of business, which means that most corporations have to put out about 80% of their income to fund employee's salaries and benefits. This is common in corporate America. I doubt the percentages for Fedex and UPS that you showed, it sounds wrong purely from a business perspective. They operate similar to us, they are a US corporation, and have the same issues we have as far as operating expenses.

The no layoff clause in our business is solely due to the power of the APWU (American Postal Workers Union), one of the most powerful unions in the US. They negotiated this clause back in the 70's when the US Postal Department became the US Postal Service. Our management has nothing to do with this, and has been trying to get it changed for years. Keep in mind that we, the administrative employees in the USPS have no such protection and are, like I said, going through layoffs right now. The 16,000 union people you mention are indeed subject to layoffs because they have not met their six-year employment time yet, and are not protected under the union "no-layoff" clause.

Another common misconception is that tax dollars fund the USPS. Nothing could be further from the truth. Since about 1973 the USPS has been mandated by Congress to raise our own revenue through mailing services and through stamp sales. We have done so, with some years under, and some years over. Last year the President signed the Postal Reformation Legislation act that freed us from the mandate of breaking even, and freed us from the constraints of pricing our goods and service under the restrictions of the Postal Rate Commission (PRC). We can now adjust our prices like other businesses to be competitive, and to keep revenue in line with operational expenses, but since that act was just signed, it will take approximately two more years to get our prices in line with expenses. That said, with the latest turn in the conomy, not many businesses are doing well right now, so why should the USPS be held to a different standard? Our delivery scores are among the highest ever, with 98% on time delivery for many of our services. Not bad compared to the billions of pieces of mail we deliver each day, that's right, each day.

Check your prices for mailing a letter around the world, you will see that the USPS still does it cheaper and faster than anyone. Compare shipping prices with Fedex and UPS for similar services, i.e. Overnight, 2-3 day, bulk, you will see that no one does it cheaper than the USPS.

It's okay to bash on the USPS, just be sure you have your facts in order. We are trying to do a good job. No hard feelings.

Take care,

P.

:bowdown:

Actually we NOT a private business. To be a private business a company must be owned by an individual, another corporation, or be a publically held business, i.e. stocks, etc.

We are in fact a Quasi-government agency. We are led by the Postmaster General, who is also the CEO. He is appointed by the Board of Goveners, who are a group of 8 or so individuals who are appointed by the President of the United States. Each member of the BoG's is usually an executive from private industry, but that is not a requirement. They approve all corporate expenditures for the USPS, the PMG reports to them.

We are held to federal and private standards for business operations such as the GAO (general accounting office) and SOX (Sarbaines-Oxly). We are audited every year for spending and revenue. The Office of Personnel management (OPM) governs our hiring and layoff (RIF) activities, but the USPS has to carry them out. So we are in fact mandated by OPM to staff and manage people in accordance with government regulations. If we go through a RIF, which we are doing now, we have to follow federal OPM regulations to the letter.

As far as being on our last leg, that's not quite true. We are however faced with huge obstacles to do the business we were designed to do in a highly technological age. I do see the USPS being fragmented and privatized within 15-20 years, but that is my own opinion. You have to look at it this way, we have 700,000 employees who mostly handle mail. The big question is, how long can the USPS deliver to every address in America economically and still make a profit. Think about the logistics of doing that for a minute. We have the largest delivery fleet of vehicles in the world. For every penny a gallon that gas goes up it costs the USPS $1,000,000 more per day to operate. So when gas was up over $4.00 a gallon, think of the additional costs we were facing. And, we have to deliver to every address, every day (Monday - Saturday), that is mandated to us by Congress, no options. Gas prices this past summer were a large part of our 2.8 billion dollar deficit too. But thankfully they are down now, maybe we can recover a little of our losses.

You all have great questions and comments, keep them comming. I have been with the USPS for 20 years, and just maybe I will get to retire from the USPS in 10 years. Anyway, keep buying stamps, it helps! :laugh:

P.

Last edited:
What next?

how about driving coal production out of business. What was it he said? Something like "go ahead and keep producing coal but I will tax you so bad on it you'll go bankrupt"?

r8

Where did this bit of information come from? I did not see it in the articles you presented.

Take care,

P.

Good info thanks.

Asking R8 to get facts in order is like asking your dog to have coffee ready for you in the morning. It ain't gonna happen.

Hey Postal, I thought I heard the USPS was actually self sustaining (meaning not losing money).. When did the "losses" start?

I have always kind of admired the job they do (well some of the people maybe not) but the ability to deliver a letter to any address in the USA within a day or 3 is pretty amazing..

I know that they have taken a large hit due to the Internet and the ability to pay bills etc online.. I also heard that a particular business has been pretty substantial in the USPS business (anyone for a video?) :)

Good info thanks.

Asking R8 to get facts in order is like asking your dog to have coffee ready for you in the morning. It ain't gonna happen.

Sorry if I came off like I was bustin on you r8, that was not my intention. Sometimes I get my words wrong.

Peace!

Hey Postal, I thought I heard the USPS was actually self sustaining (meaning not losing money).. When did the "losses" start?

I have always kind of admired the job they do (well some of the people maybe not) but the ability to deliver a letter to any address in the USA within a day or 3 is pretty amazing..

I know that they have taken a large hit due to the Internet and the ability to pay bills etc online.. I also heard that a particular business has been pretty substantial in the USPS business (anyone for a video?) :)

Mr. B: Good questions. We are self-sustaining, in that we have to generate our own revenue and we do not receive tax dollars. When we have losses we have to borrow money from the Federal Treasury Department to balance our books. The down side to that is we then go into the next fiscal year (FY) owing money, hoping to make enough to cover operating costs and to repay the loan(s). The losses started in FY08 around February 2008 (QTR II).

Thanks!

P.

The 8 out of 10 dollars was on the news. This is where the figure came from Tom.

View Post 11-18-2008, 07:30 AM
Remove user from ignore listsjcurrence
This message is hidden because sjcurrence is on your ignore list.

r8

Back