using car turbos???

psycobusa

Registered
i have access to turbos from some impreza wrx's, sti's, and an evo 8 and was wondering if its possible to take a turbo system off of one of those cars and modify it to fit the busa. it may seem a like a dumb question, but i dont know much of anything about turbos and just figured if possible it would be better than spending 5k on a new setup.

Turbo's are a tool, much like a wrench. Its like asking is a 10mm wrench that was used on a car, could it be used on a bike? The answer is "of course".

The turbo kits for the busa ARE car turbo's. Carefully selected car turbo's, but car turbo's none the less.

But then, the phrase "car turbo" is kind of a misnomer. Its a turbo. Use it within its parameters, whatever the application, and it will do what its designed to do

The one from an evo will work very well,documented by carbontek.They made 410 with one on a busa.

(psycobusa @ Sep. 10 2006,16:30) where can i read it for myself? id like to know what all they say about it
You can go Hereand see the bike,the story ran in "Fastbikes" a brit rag about sportbikes.

(nitrousjunkie @ Sep. 10 2006,05:43)
(psycobusa @ Sep. 10 2006,16:30) where can i read it for myself? id like to know what all they say about it
You can go Hereand see the bike,the story ran in "Fastbikes" a brit rag about sportbikes.
always with the great info.
biggrin.gif

Mine is a KKK K24. I beleive it is a car turbo used on Audi's and Porsches. I am sure that there are others who can inform me on what is is/has been used for.

Walt

spending 5K on a turbo is not really it.

a new turbo is only like $600-1000 out of the total price of the turbo kit for the busa.

(fstbusa @ Sep. 11 2006,20:24) spending 5K on a turbo is not really it.

a new turbo is only like $600-1000 out of the total price of the turbo kit for the busa.
yeah but i have access to ones off the cars listed above which wont cost me a dime. thats why im asking. also ive seen some from differ cars on ebay that go for under 50 bucks just because not many ppl need em.

I get fully rebuilt from the factory turbos pretty cheaply myself.

Im all for people trying to figure it all out. As I am trying to figure out the whole FI turbo set up as it is.

You guys have the opportunity to release a wealth of knowledge and help the turbo community along.

Back