Using a bike stand safely - can it be done solo?

I put a piece of brick underneath the kickstand to straighten up the bike to almost straight position then align with the spools. Once aligned, let go of the bike and push down on the handle. You're good to go.

Last edited:
At home I don't use my stand anymore, I have a product called "CONDOR" you pull the bike up into the wheel lock and it works awesome. $250 and you can use it to transport the bike, works great!

Stand at rear of bike take off hump grab the metal bar that hump connects to to steady bike then postion pit bull under spools and left . EASY AS PIE

I put the kickstand down on the left, stand myself on the right, center the bike on the stand then use my left foot to push down on the stand which raises up the bike and im done

I had mine go down on the left side (didn't have kick stand down) as I was lowering it. My stand is opperated from the rear. Very hard to work the stand and keep the bike balanced.

I now use my sport chock on the front when lifting and lowering the rear when I have to do it myself.

Last edited:
The sport chock, such as the condor, seems to me to be the safest way to go. Might be a bit pricey at $250 + the $165 I paid for the stand, but that's WAAAAAYYYYY less than what my cost would be to fix the following damage from my tip over:

1) Front brake lever
2) Right foot peg feeler
3) Right front cowling (two small scratches, one minor, one deep)
4) Right side cowling (lots of minor scratches in the paint and the kanji)
5) Front fender (quarter sized scratch)
6) Stock pipe (quarter sized scratch)
7) Ram tube screen - not sure if I can just re-adjust this or not, but it got compressed by the cowling so it's a bit out of center and out of shape
Edit - 8) Mirror (dime sized scratch) - almost forgot the mirror - thanks BusaBlue
Yeah, I think I'll get that condor chock.

Thanks again :cheerleader:to everybody for all the tips, tricks, suggestions and advice. I think the first thing I'm gonna do is take the bike and stand to my local shop and have them give me a lesson in getting the bike on the stand. I think part of the reason I tipped it is just b/c I've never done it before (still haven't) and didn't realize when the bike was off center to the right enough to get beyond my control. Conversely, I also suspect that I didn't recognize when I had the stand on the spools securely enough to go ahead and make the lift.

Experience is everything and so far my only experience is in how to DROP my perfect Hayabusa to the floor of my garage. I may never get over this. :( Well, until I get it all fixed or buy another Hayabusa! :thumbsup:

:beerchug:

Last edited:
I was lucky, mine went down very slowly as I tried to stop it from happening.
Only damage was scratched mirror and broken left foot peg feeler.

It's really easy...... make sure you got the grab bar on, and the front wheel straight....then get a little piece of 2x4 wood and slide it under the kickstand.... (with the 2x4 still just a little bit tilt so that's good for safety).

Here it s little trick, MAKE SURE THE BIKE IS IN NEUTRAL GEAR.....when you are pushing down the stand the rear tire moves like two inches, if the bike is in gear you'll need way more force than necessary.

Last edited:
It is stressful to me doing it myself. Room for error and not worth it if it falls.

I have done it alone several times. Then I used my tie down straps to keep the bike upright and lifted it like that. But I still get help when I can much easier.

You know I used to use a 2X4 to prop up the sidestand to bring the bike to nearly vertical, then I would go around back and grunt on the rear stand. Worked like a champ and eliminated the "whoops" factor to a great extent.

Just a thought. Find something about the right thickness to bring the bike to near verticle when under the sidestand and proceed from there.

If you don't use the grabhandle, the crossmember that holds the hump latch is a great place to hold the bike.

If you don't use the grabhandle, the crossmember that holds the hump latch is a great place to hold the bike.

I've also found the right hand passenger peg to be of use FWIW.

Oh and NOW I see the "brick method" posted above...

I bet you guys talking about boards under the side stand are using a rear mounted handle Pit Bull. I tell you, the problem is not getting the bike vertical -- the stand does that automatically once the forks are on the spools. The real problem is lifting. With the forks on the spools, the handle is almost vertical. There is no leverage to push down -- it pushes the bike forward. I don't think it can be done by a lightweight like myself (180 lbs). I was tempted to let go of the bike and use both hands but thought better of it. I'm sure it will be a lot easier once the stock cans get replaced with my nice light Cannon.

The only thing I can think of is to roll the back tire up on a little ramp so the handle of the stand will be at a better angle to push DOWN once the forks are engaged with the spools. Also, banding the front brake lever may be helpful.

What a PITA. This is not what i wanted in a stand. A rear mounted handle would be much easier and safer.

My Heindl Pivot Stand is plenty strong and it is so easy and safe to use. I recommend it if you don't care to f***k around when you lift your bike. The only thing extra that need be done is wrap some tape around the points of the pins to prevent any accidental scratches to the frame. It is so worth the extra 100 $ even though it is slightly lower quality to Pit Bull.

Its a little tricky and Nerve racking but overall pretty easily done.

Place your stand at the tailend of your bike within reach,Make sure front wheel is pointing straight, Balance the bike, if you have a grab rail use it to keep bike balanced, if not remove hump and use the crossbar located under the hump area. holding the bike up with one hand, slide the stand under the spools and pull back. once the stand has the bike it should stay pretty steady, Keep the kickstand down just in case.

+1 I always leave the side stand down and if it feels like its not cooperating a gentle, GENTLE nudge to the left back on the side stand and try again from the begining

Back