Using a bike stand safely - can it be done solo?

Make sure your lift brakets are lined up well on the spools. Keep them on the towards the outside so they line up easier, but not on the very edge.

I use my foot to keep the lift stabile and once I get it about half way either put up or down the kickstand.

I can usually get it lined up quicker when putting it on, but guess I got camera shy.:laugh:

I hear it takes a little grunt to get it going, but it seems to move fine for me.

...excuse the mess......I am getting ready for a fun weekend.

..and another thing, ....how in the heck did you bust a thousand on Mahjong Connect?:thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been using LP rear stand without spools for years. I do have a grab bar ON all the time, which does help.

With my right hand, I stick the stand under the swingarm and line up the best I can (with the spools it means you'd have to sit the spools on the stand even before the effort is applied). Then, with my left hand I push the bike off the side stand to the balance point while gently transitioning some weight on the stand (i.e. pushing on the stand slightly and supporting part of the bike's weight). Then, a quick glance that everything is lined up OK, followed by the final transition of the full bike's weight to the stand, and pushing the stand down all the way to the floor. Then, I would bouonce the bike from the top just to make sure it's stable.

Taking off the stand: MAKE SURE THE KICK STAND IS DOWN AND MAKE IT A HABIT TO ALWAYS KEEP IT DOWN UNLESS YOU ARE DOING SOMETHING REQUIRING THE KICKSTAND TO BE UP (and you can guess why it is important). OK, left hand on the grab rail, right hand pulling the stand up. As the rear tire touches the ground, quickly transition the effort to hold the bike from the rear stand to your left hand holding the grab bar, and then gently lean the bike on the kickstand, only then pull the rear stand from under the bike.

It's really not a bit deal after you do it once or twice. Just always be consistent. The biggest danger is when you get used to it so much that become overconfident and sloppy which may cause a silly mistake.

Thanks for all the replies. Sounds like it's really just something of a Zen thing as I've already considered most all of the various bits of advice and strategy that have been mentioned other than the front wheel chock idea (Thanks! to BusaBlue macon454).

Maybe I'm just super paranoid about tipping over because I've already done it once! :cry:

I'll bet you have the hump on, right?

The grab rail behind the seat makes putting the bike up on the stand a piece of cake. Put your grab rail back on and have fun. You can easily balance the bike with one hand while lifting it with your stand. The rear stand is easier to use but the front stand is handier once it's up. The idea of putting your kickstand up on a 2x4 is a good idea to help. If you have the kickstand mod it adds a bit of fun but still not a problem.
he has a "front" handle style.. (I modded my hump to keep the handle on just so i could lift the bike)

No biggie, just balance the bike (either with rear grab handle, or with hump removed), align the stand hooks under each spool, push down and lift. :beerchug:

D

i load and unload from the rear stand solo all the time and here is how i do it: place the prongs of the stand on the angle lined up with the spools and hook in place. stand on the non kickstand side and grab the kickstand side of the seat reaching over. pull both the stand and seat simultaneously, and slowly bring the bike in to your body. voila! she is up on the stand safe and sound and to bring her down repeat everything in reverse but make sure your kickstand is down first. granted, this was an easy method for me because i only have the hump and i don't want to grease up the plastics with my funky hands. it's a decent technique once you get the hang of it a few times. you think the rear is bad, try the front stand. that is always an instant pucker for me.

I have spools. With the bike on the kickstand, I position my rear stand on the spools and use a bungee cord to hold it in place. Then I lean the bike off the kickstand and use my body and one hand to balance it while I use the other hand to lift the bike with the rear stand. It still can be tricky though especially because the Busa is not a light weight. It was much easier with my Z1000 or YZF600R. Just take your time.

not sure about gen2 but gen1 has a handle inside the tail plastic. You know right there in that vent on the left side. I know some of you went boing and covered yours with those mesh screens but it's there, any way I've found holding the busa with this unknown handle is the best way to get it on a rear stand in about 20 seconds by yourself.
Posted via Mobile Device

I was about to tell people this also........

A little story..

The former Dealer I used to deal with........., "Everyone there" Never Knew of the Built in Handle on the Left Backside of the Busa's UNTIL I SHOWED THEM in 2007!.........and they had been selling Busa's since their first year in 1999!..........A bunch of dumb assses! they ARE......Needless to say My Last Busa was purchased at a far Better Dealer elsewhere.

Last edited:
you think the rear is bad, try the front stand. that is always an instant pucker for me.

Does your front stand lift at the end of the forks or do you have one that lifts at the lower tree? You're supposed to use a front stand with the bike already up on the rear stand. I have a lower tree stand and it's very easy to use with the bike already on the rear stand.

Last edited:
I lay cinder blocks down on each side with a little bit of morter right up to the frame,,, then I go have a sammich,, come back and sing a song,, :whistle: grab the tail, curse a couple of times, ask God for forgiveness,,, cross my eyes,, and pull back! Always works! :laugh:

I place a couple of 2x4s on the ground, but the kick stand on the 2x4's be then its almost centered, then I just align the rear stand and go ahead.

I use this method also. works like a charm. But I would feel safer with the front wheel chocked.

Does your front stand lift at the end of the forks or do you have one that lifts at the lower tree? You're supposed to use a front stand with the bike already up on the rear stand. I have a lower tree stand and it's very easy to use with the bike already on the rear stand.

my stand is from cyclecat and it has rubber rollers that seat on the end of the forks as i lift her up. i only lift her up after she is on the rear stand but it still makes me nervous. someone chimed in a while back when i was looking to purchase and mentioned that important tidbit to me.

Never use the front stand by itself. If the bike leans any the forks will turn and down the bike will go. The rear stand will keep the bike from leaning while on the front stand.

Two things might help, although it's late in the day, get a couple spotters to hold the handlebars level to let you get the feel of the bike weight standing up. Rock a little each direction.

Also measure you spools and try and get your rear stand spool-hooks set somewhere near the middle of spool, I know we're talking about 1/2" here. That way, you can snag both spools a little to either side of center and you'll have a much easier time of it.

After a couple hundred times, you'll have "no fear". :oldcool:

PS You can spot the right side spool through the rear wheel......the beauty of the front handle is you can control the left grip while doing the alignments, but practice makes perfect. Watch BlueHaya's video, nice work Bruddah !!!!

Back