Using a .080 spacer on a Stage One

arthur39

Registered
:whistle:
I've been researching the spacer plate and I am yet to determine the best route to go. So, looking for suggestions..... I have a 16g turbo with an external gate and want to run a .5 spring 7.25psi. I would feel much safer with an .080 plate which came with the kit. It is a 2003 Busa with 3K on the speedo. I am trying to determine if I can just install the spacer and close her up. Or should I adjust the cams? I hear most leave the exhaust alone and can move the spline on the intake 5 teeth and get good results without adjustable sprocket. If this is acceptable for a daily rider I can do this myself. Or is it best to go with adjustable sprockets and try to retime everything (i will need help for that)
Suggestions?
What have others done?
One other thing...:whistle: Would I be wasting my money investing in water injection on 7.25lbs boost. Just trying to build a very reliable stage one at 7.25 boost.

Thanks

Run the spacer plate, install adjustable cam sprockets, degree the cams. Use ECU editor to remove your restrictions, bump your rev limit, and pull a few degrees of timing. Under 10 pounds of boost you do not need the water injection . . . get it tuned on a dyno.:beerchug:

Im running 7.2 psi boost with NO motor work right now. If you go inward to do the spacer..I would recommend studding the head, but that means pulling the motor out.
For safety re flash the ECU like said: Hard cut, remvoe restrictions, bump rev limiter.
Your fine on pump fuel untill 10psi or more...then youll want something like intercooler or the water injection. When you get that far into it....bump up the injectors to S2000 or better.

I plan on the reflash, I'm thinking I will start at 7.25 or the 8lb spring, I want to keep it fairly simple and reliable for the street, I was thinking studs, but I was under the impression they are fine up to 300 horse, my goal is around 250ish

Been told studs come into play with HP and boost amount. 8psi is limit...might or might not lift the head sooner or later.??? Some have been fine and some lifted after 4 passes. If I make it thru my tune with no issues then Ill feel better.

thanks guys, after a weekend of digging found some great info here is a link that helped me
Degreeing Cams for those that were asking

looks like I will be getting, new studs from ape, adjustable sprockets, cometic head gasket I believe the part number is C8656 , set the timing to 105/105??? is this acceptable for max of 10lbs 16g turbo, external gate?
Do I use coppercoat on both sides of the spacer then install the head gasket dry? What is the standard procedure for this? the base spacer is used.

One other thing 10lbs is the most I want to go with stock internals, I do NOT want to start at 10lbs though, I want to start at 7.25, then 2 year goal is 10lbs, (boost controller, stretched, water injection, etc.)

would you guys tune it at 10lbs then revert back to a 7.25 spring, so it does not need to be retuned again, or do I have to tune it each time I change tial wastegate springs?

Thanks for all your help

hey im looking to run a small turbo on a 09 busa. just to give the bike alittle edge without hurting the motor. whats a good reliable turbo kit out there on the market

RCC Has the best bang for the buck, alot of R&D on that kit. Look at the other post with Mullet ( BIGRod1300), that is a RCC, they are guaranteed for 2 years and Richard at RCC is an org member.

RCC builds turbo systems that rock :) I dont make any turbo kits, though I do sell some things to go along with them for fuel control etc. :thumbsup:

I have a rcc kit on my bike, made 356 hp on my 08 with stock injectors and a 1:1 fuel regulator.

If you dont want to lower compression, you would be looking at 4 psi max as recommended by richard which i think is 220-230 hp on a stock compression motor.

Back