Useful info on jacking up your bike

IG.

Registered
I just changed dog bones on my bike (for those who don't know those are dog bone looking links that control position of the swingarm), and wanted to share my experience as it may be very helpful to someone.

See pictures below for details.

Pivot (link) which attaches swingarm to the frame is hollow inside (diameter of the hole is 16 mm on the left side and a few mm larger on the right side).

So, I lifted the rear using the swingarm stand, then stuck metal rod through that hole, and put 2 stands under it, and then gently lowered the bike until it rests on the stands, and removed the swingarm stand.

Rear of the bike stays in the air like on a centerstand.

If you need to work on front end, you can then support the engine with wooden blocks, or floor jack, and the bike will be very stable.

Interesting part is, that the rod I used comes from the Motorcycle Tire Changer Attachment which I got from Harbor Freight (you need both portable tire changer, and the motorcycle tire changer attachment to actually be able to change tires).

Here are the links for those...

And, here are a couple of pictures...

<!--EDIT|IG.
Reason for Edit: None given...|1075737610 -->

100_1337_smaller.JPG

And, here is another one.

Few fine points. Since the right side hole is a bit larger, the right stand has to be by about 10 mm higher (see pictures - the right stand sits on top of piece of wood).

The rod is strong enough. I tested it by standing on it with my wife. It sets down a bit (like a spring), but then restores to be exactly straight.

Undo the dog bones while the bike is on the ground. Those babies are tight. Also, you will need either someone else holding the other end of the bolt (otherwise, it moves ), or do what I did - taped the wrench on the other side until it hits some part of the bike, and does not move any more).

I used pieces of wood and card board to finely adjust hight of the rear wheel so that the holes line up.

And, finally keep in mind, that putting shorter dog bones, moves the rear wheel down (meaning if you didn't lift it high enough, it will hit the ground before you have a chance to line the holes up), and rises the hight of the rear. And, vise versa.

100_1338_smaller.JPG

IG how was it to use that changer???
I've done a number of tire changes, and it works great. I would strongly recommend to get one extra iron.

Also, it would be a good idea to bolt the whole thing to a bigger size wooden blocks, or ideally to the floor. I haven't done it (live in apartment), and still managed to do just fine.

BTW, I still it has a great price now. They usually keep changing prices between $35 and $70, and now it is at $35.

<!--EDIT|IG.
Reason for Edit: None given...|1075737460 -->

Dang I may have to get on, but then it only cost me $15 to get a tire changed, and how often do I really change them...and more importantly WILL MY WIFE LET ME BRING ANYTHING ELSE INTO THE GARAGE
laugh.gif

Dang I may have to get on, but then it only cost me $15 to get a tire changed, and how often do I really change them...and more importantly WILL MY WIFE LET ME BRING ANYTHING ELSE INTO THE GARAGE
laugh.gif
I don't know where they charge $15 to change a tire - and I assume you have to dismount them off the bike, but here around NYC it's around $60 per tire. After doing it once a few years ago, and going through the trouble of bringing the bike and taking it back, I got that thing, and since then doing it myself. Time wise and money wise can't be beaten.

About the wife - I know exactly what you mean. At least, you've got a garage. I live in apartment.

I simply take the thing apart, and store it in a few places, so it's not that bad.

Back