Use hand signals when you ride?

VaBusa

oRg Gal
Staff member
Administrator
Seems that since getting the new undertail on, my lights aren't as evident as I'd like...I've swapped out the clear lenses for red/amber again to see if that helps, but my husband also convinced me this weekend to start using hand signals when I'm turning/stopping...he's been using them since he started riding 3 years ago...

I tried using them all day on Saturday, and seemed to do fine...

Who else uses them? Anyone?

for sure... i use a few hand signals when i ride.. especially if someone drifts into my lane.

but seriously, when changing lanes, no hand signals... i always use my electronic signals and shoulder checks. I'd rather have both hands on the bike at all times especially in traffic in case i have to make a sudden move.

I use them as the leader of a group. They help people to know what you are doing when you are riding at <marquee>FAST</marquee> speed!

We also use hand signals to communicate to each other.

Yeah Oracle...we all know about you and your fast paced riding!
smile.gif

I always do a head check, use the bike signals, and now have added using the hand signals...anything to be seen by the cagers all around me...damn, riding a bike is a lot of work!
tounge.gif

hand signals while in group formations, just signals and 360 environmental observation solo. I assume no one sees me, let alone my turn signals, and watch my own back.. and front and sides - hands WOULD create a little more attention though, good idea

I find myself using them every once in a while but I should really make a habit of using them more often.

true Universal Handsignals are pretty simple and there really is only a few that are really common across the board.

The real important one as far as I am concerned is the pattin g of the top of the helmet. This has allways meant "Police Ahead" to me but there is a definition here in one of these links saying it means brights are on... So yeah... So much for "Universal Handsignals"

Handsignals one

Handsignals two

Handsignals three

I use "Hand Signals" alot . just about everyday .

I quite often raise my left hand , make a fist , an' then extend my middle finger .

I find it very effective at getting the desired message across very quikly.

"slower....an' less intelligent drivers, keep right ."

hav a crude one.....RSD.

aaah...there's a voice we haven't heard inna while! How u doin, Rubbah?

Good ta hear from ya, bro!

on a more serious note.....Michelle , are you listening ....

Be very afraid of that left turn signal . My advice....

DO NOT EVER USE YOUR 'LECTRIC TURN SIGNAL.

I was "Left-turned" a few times , before I figured it out.

Thats to say that cages turned left in front of me once or twice , till I figured out they thought I was turning .
Everyone is in a hurry . They see that left blinker, and they make their left turn . Some bikes have a counter that shuts off signals after so-many feet travelled, or so-many seconds .
Dont trust it . Dont rely on it . Best bet, dont use it . yer lit up, left turn , "Here I am, come kill me signal" .

Take the bulb out of that left turn signal . the one up front anyway . Sure, leave the one in the back . The one in the front.....LOSE IT .

trust me.....RSD.

on a more serious note.....Michelle , are you listening ....

Be very afraid of that left turn signal .  My advice....

DO NOT EVER USE YOUR 'LECTRIC TURN SIGNAL.

I was "Left-turned"  a few times , before I figured it out.

Thats to say that cages turned left in front of me once or twice , till I figured out they thought I was turning .
 Everyone is in a hurry .  They see that left blinker, and they make their left turn .  Some bikes have a counter that shuts off signals after so-many feet travelled, or so-many seconds .
  Dont trust it . Dont rely on it . Best bet, dont use it .  yer lit up, left turn , "Here I am, come kill me signal" .

Take the bulb out of that left turn signal . the one up front anyway .  Sure, leave the one in the back .  The one in the front.....LOSE IT .

trust me.....RSD.
I hear ya RSD...Daddy...
tounge.gif

I'll keep doing what I can to stay safe and get back home after a long day of riding...best thing to do is stay away from cagers!
smile.gif

Hmm... are feet signals ok?
I've seen some people just extend one of their legs towards whatever side they're going to switch lanes to.

heard about those....sometimes they can be mistaken for pointing something out on the road (like a bump, hole,, iol patch, etc).

Undertail Va? And no photo's of him? Or, did you post them someplace else?

THE EMU TOOK 'EM, Lazer!!! CHHEEEEAAAAARRRRRGGGGGGEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!! SHAVE THEM ALL!!!!!!!!!!!! YYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think it's so funny that we have a member who raised Emu's on this forum. Have you noticed though that he does not talk about them in a negitive way? It could be because they have dirt on him. They are cunning and dangerous.

Back