Use Dremel or Hole Saw for Cutting Fairings?

maoz

Registered
Would you guys suggest using a Dremel (I'd have to buy one because my old one crapped out) or can I get away with drilling a pilot hole with my regular drill and the using a circular hole saw with my drill for the main cut? I'm a little concerned that using a hole saw my cause paint chipping on the outside radius of the cut (since I will be cutting from the outside of the fairing). I've attached a picture of a hole saw for your information.

holesaw.jpg

Man one slip with that thing and your fairing will be UGLY! I'd use the dremel, but you may have more skillz than I.
wink.gif

Would you guys suggest using a Dremel (I'd have to buy one because my old one crapped out) or can I get away with drilling a pilot hole with my regular drill and the using a circular hole saw with my drill for the main cut?  I'm a little concerned that using a hole saw my cause paint chipping on the outside radius of the cut (since I will be cutting from the outside of the fairing).  I've attached a picture of a hole saw for your information.
Hey Maoz,

I'm assuming that you're cutting holes to install frame sliders right?
rock.gif
I did the frame slider thing last year. Two words of advice: 1) Cut from the inside of the fairing. Trust me it works better. 2) Put your drill in the 'reverse' mode which will give you a slower rate of penetration and won't hurt the paint. I was a little bit apprehensive at first, but after I cut the first one I began to feel like a pro. One thing I do remember was that the left side fairing was much easier in the sense that there is already a little hole in the protective foam. Actually that hole is exactly where the hole is to be drilled. On the right side, you're going to have to pull out some of the foam to make your cut. To get my measurements precise, after I removed the fairing and the motor mount bolt, I screwed in the slider bolt and marked the head of it with a red sharpie. I then replaced the fairing and put in a couple of the screws. I suggest that you put in the center fairing screw, one where it attaches to the nose, and one at the bottom. Then simply push the fairing onto the bolt to make a mark. This then becomes your center point to drill. If you don't have the hole saw with the pilot bit in the center, then all you have to do is take a tape measure and measure exactly one inch from the center and make a little tic mark there. Do this three more times so that you form a little box around the center mark. This will give you the precise spot to place your drill to start cutting. Remember that your hole saw has a two inch diameter, so if you measure one inch all the way around, you shouldn't have a problem. One other word of advice is to use a floor jack under the motor to raise the bike just slightly to take pressure off the motor mount screws. If you don't then those bolts will be a bitch to get out. Trust me, I almost stripped the head of one of my mounting screws before I decided to take a little pressure off of them. Once I did that, all I had to fight against was the loc-tite that they put on the screws. That's a lot easier battle to win than fighting loc-tite and motor weight. If you have any more questions, just PM me. Remember that this is one of those projects where no mistakes are allowed. Good luck!

Brian

Actually the foam on the right side fairing was a good tool to help make the mark. I still followed the aforementioned process, but the foam is what I actually pressed the bolt against to make the mark. I actually cut through the foam. You have to make sure that you have someone help hold the fairing down while you cut, because it will definitely want to move around. The sharpie thing was done on the left side because there is no foam in the area to be cut.

Brian

definitely use the dremel. The holes actually end up being oblonged a little since of the contour of the fairing. Just take your time and it will come out just fine.

I used the circular hole saw like your thinking of doing, a dremel will never come out round. I fabricated a bolt with a sharp edge to get my center. Once the fairing was off, I removed stock bolt, srewed in the bolt with the sharp edge, and reattached the fairing. The only bolt I was worried about aligning right was the one closest to the frame slider. Once I aligned it, I just taped the fairing with my palm. It helps if you have a person to help. Then I removed fairing and drilled a pilot hole from the inside out. After that, I turned the fairing around and had my friend hold it tight. The paint will chip with a hole saw if the fairing moves. Place masking tape around the area where you are going to cut to help it not chip. Start cuting with the cir hole saw at a very, very low rpm. Just to get through the paint. Once you see a greyish color, you are in the plastic, increase rpm, stay straight, and you'll be done in no time. WITH, a perfect hole. One the fairing with the foam, just cut it out before you start to do anything with a blade. Make sure you remove the glue thats left over completely.
smile.gif
Good luck

Image004.jpg

On the left fairing I used a dremel and I could not get that thing round for nothing, so on the right side I borrowed a hole saw and just loosened the mount bolt and gave the fairing a good smack and then cut from the inside and it is perfect. If I only had the hole saw for the left side.

put a piece of masking tape over the area you want to cut out. The hole saw will work. If you start in reverse it will drill slower and wont "MELT" as much. Also the tape keeps it from sliding around. Take your time. ONLY YOU will know you fubared it.

biggrin.gif

Thanks for the great information guys - really good stuff. I'm going to give it a shot tomorrow if I can get up my nerve! I'll keep you posted
cool.gif

Thanks for the great information guys - really good stuff. I'm going to give it a shot tomorrow if I can get up my nerve! I'll keep you posted
cool.gif

Well I finally did it today! It actually was easier than I thought it would be. I was really stressed about chipping the paint but nothing to worry about. The left side was tougher, because of the foam in the way and the closeness to the fairing mount mount. I'll post pictures soon.

Back