USB port help

simanio872

Registered
Hi guys,
Im no where near an electrician so bear with me lol, i bought a 2 port usb plug thing with an inline fuse with the intention of hooking my radar detector to it. Install went great, have it on while the bikes on but not when the bikes off, plugged my phone cord into it and charged my phone, but when i plug my radar detector in it wont turn on. I thought maybe the cord/detector was bad so plugged it in to several other vehicles which it worked just fine with. I also checked the electrical specs on both the detector and plug which both matched (5v i think). Anybody have any ideas on solutions? Im running out of ideas and id prefer not to directly hardwire the detector in. Ill grab some pics later if it helps at all.
Thanks!

Can you post a pic of what you bought?

At a guess, I would suggest it's a 2 usb port, 1 x 2.4amp and 1 x 1amp or similar.
The 2.4 will prob be enough to power the phone or the radar detector. But the other port, (1amp +/-) won't be enough to power either really. If you use the phone on the 1 amp slot, and use your phone while riding, it won't supply enough to run the phone and charge the battery and you'll fine the phone battery will be going down. and def won't be enough for the RD

You would be better of getting 2 separate usb3 QC sockets and use them individually, both with their own fuse.

At a guess, I would suggest it's a 2 usb port, 1 x 2.4amp and 1 x 1amp or similar.
The 2.4 will prob be enough to power the phone or the radar detector. But the other port, (1amp +/-) won't be enough to power either really. If you use the phone on the 1 amp slot, and use your phone while riding, it won't supply enough to run the phone and charge the battery and you'll fine the phone battery will be going down. and def won't be enough for the RD

You would be better of getting 2 separate usb3 QC sockets and use them individually, both with their own fuse.
That actually brings me to a question I have for a while....Not sure if you know or the wizzard @c10 .

How much power can you actually draw from the busa when its running. Or different - how many devices/energy consuming devices can I hook up before i get into any limitations.

Thanks

Hey man, i more than likely will never be using it for anything but the RD but even when its plugged in alone its not getting enough power i guess, tried in both ports. Heres some pictures of what i got, do you think i need a higher capacity plug?
2AE000B2-1E79-461E-B727-F8F77F88DB8C.png
D8D3F18E-BEFA-4905-A423-4492F8B15C1F.png

Sounds like you just got a bad one. I got one from cycle gear and it works well. If I leave it hooked to the battery it will kill the battery in a month if I don't run the bike or plug it in to the tender.

Hey man, i more than likely will never be using it for anything but the RD but even when its plugged in alone its not getting enough power i guess, tried in both ports. Heres some pictures of what i got, do you think i need a higher capacity plug?

That'll be the issue, each port is rated at 2.1amp. even a base model phone these days needs a minimum 2.4amp to keep battery charged with minimal use.
If you're only going to use it for the RD, I'd look for a single plug that is Qualcomm QC 3.0 stamped. They can supply around 3.0amps @ 5v.
I'd also check the specs on the RD and check what current it drawers when in use.

As a side note, you may wish to wire in via a relay direct to the battery so it's only active when ignition is on.

That actually brings me to a question I have for a while....Not sure if you know or the wizzard @c10 .

How much power can you actually draw from the busa when its running. Or different - how many devices/energy consuming devices can I hook up before i get into any limitations.

Thanks

That is a damn good question.. And to be honest I don't know what the safe limit is.
I'd reckon that @c10 , @Kiwi Rider , or @pashnit may have a better idea on safe limits - sorry

That is a damn good question.. And to be honest I don't know what the safe limit is.
I'd reckon that @c10 , @Kiwi Rider , or @pashnit may have a better idea on safe limits - sorry
No worries.. thx anyways.

I just have so much stuff to plug in when I am riding and I want to add some heated grips (since iam getting old and fat *insider*) and I want to know how that would affect the overall voltage.

I should make a video tomorrow . Daniel I recommend heated gloves over grips . I have had grips for years , and there good , but gloves are next level . They also typically draw less power than grips

I should make a video tomorrow . Daniel I recommend heated gloves over grips . I have had grips for years , and there good , but gloves are next level . They also typically draw less power than grips
oh ok... well. I take that advice!
I am looking so forward to that video in particular as I was wondering about that question for a long time!! Thanks so much bryan!

Reactions: c10
I dont take any info from some random person. I want to see @c10 s face and hear his lovely voice. Then I will believe it...! :lol: :banana:

That'll be the issue, each port is rated at 2.1amp. even a base model phone these days needs a minimum 2.4amp to keep battery charged with minimal use.
If you're only going to use it for the RD, I'd look for a single plug that is Qualcomm QC 3.0 stamped. They can supply around 3.0amps @ 5v.
I'd also check the specs on the RD and check what current it drawers when in use.

As a side note, you may wish to wire in via a relay direct to the battery so it's only active when ignition is on.
Gotcha, ill be ordering one of those tomorrow, thanks for all the info and help man!

I dont take any info from some random person. I want to see @c10 s face and hear his lovely voice. Then I will believe it...! :lol: :banana:
08 Operators Manual only says "Three-phase A.C. generator" "30amp main fuse". 14 (+/-) Volts coming from generator (my measurement with digital meter) X 30 amps = 420 (+/-) Watts.
There is an upgraded 500w stator available if you need more power generation.
Hey I like c10's vids too, very useful and informative . . but "lovely voice"??? I like his Texan accent :rolleyes:

08 Operators Manual only says "Three-phase A.C. generator" "30amp main fuse". 14 (+/-) Volts coming from generator (my measurement with digital meter) X 30 amps = 420 (+/-) Watts.
There is an upgraded 500w stator available if you need more power generation.
Hey I like c10's vids too, very useful and informative . . but "lovely voice"??? I like his Texan accent :rolleyes:
Could you make a video at some point...I would like to hear that aussie accent of yours....

Back