Upper tree steering stem brass nut torque setting???

04 Limited Busa

Registered
I was riding today and saw the brass nut loosening, scared the hell out of me. Mind you, the bike had its 600 mile service and has 1500 miles on it now. Trying to confirm torque setting. At first thought it was 65 lbs, but looking further I think must be the steering headlock nut. I found another setting for 25 lbs for what seems to be the brass nut. Anybody know for sure?

I was riding today and saw the brass nut loosening, scared the hell out of me. Mind you, the bike had its 600 mile service and has 1500 miles on it now. Trying to confirm torque setting. At first thought it was 65 lbs, but looking further I think must be the steering headlock nut. I found another setting for 25 lbs for what seems to be the brass nut. Anybody know for sure?
Gen 1 is 65ft-lb for that nut. I dont have a Gen 2 manual but I can only assume it will be the same.
Before you torque it down, check the steering head bearings for correct adjustment and no binding or stiff spots. Then, loosen of the top tree fork pinch bolts, then torque the 'Brass' nut as you call it, and then torque the pinch bolts.
Job done!

Back