Upgraded Da Train's GPS unit...

BulletTrain

Call me Daddy...
Donating Member
Registered
After I bought the Garmin eTrex Personal Navigator and found out that I couldn't load maps onto it I knew I'd end up eventually goin' with one that would take maps. Well, this morning my supervisor showed me his eTrex Legend and the mapping capabilities. After seein' what I was missin' out on I went immediately and bought a Legend model. I haven't got the county road maps for it yet but I can already tell from navigatin' some of the state hwy's in my jurisdiction with it that it is worth the extra beans.

If you're thinkin' about gettin' a Garmin GPS unit for ridin' I highly recommend the Legend or one of the other mapping capable versions over the eTrex Personal Navigator model. For manhunts, rescue operations, air ambulance calls, huntin', campin', hikin', etc... the Personal Navigator would be fine. If you are in a car and on the roads though, the mapping models are much more helpful and informative.

Just thought I'd share that with anyone who may be lookin' for a GPS unit for ridin' to save you from havin' to waste the time and money involved in tryin' the cheaper one first. Spend the extra skins and get what you really need.
wink.gif

Definitely didn't take long! Did your speedohealer arrive yet? I've got a stockpile of things to get put together.

Chris , the legend is what I bought to use. It works really well. I do mapping on my computer then download to GPS. Neat. This is what I used to mount to Busa.

post_11_13047_tools.jpg

Definitely didn't take long! Did your speedohealer arrive yet? I've got a stockpile of things to get put together.
Nope, it didn't take long. In all honesty I made an uninformed purchase. I could say it was a misinformed purchase and blame it on the jerk at Best Buy that told me the eTrex Personal would accept downloaded maps. However, if I had done my homework I would have known he was full of shid. I know better than to base my purchases on store employee information...
drooling3.gif

Speedo Healer is jammed up somewhere in UPS. See my "Did I mention I hate UPS" thread for further.
mad.gif
Tracking currently says it is scheduled for 08/11/04. I'll believe it when it gets here.

Damn BT..............All these toys..........New Tires...........Speedo-Healer..............Camera's..............pressure cookers.................GPS............What's next?

They must pay too much down there...........
mad.gif

Just kiddin........Glad to see you can enjoy some toys, lookin forward to the speedo-healer pic install and info.

<!--EDIT|mzrsq
Reason for Edit: None given...|1092017093 -->

Damn BT..............All these toys..........New Tires...........Speedo-Healer..............Camera's..............pressure cookers.................GPS............What's next?

They must pay too much down there...........
mad.gif

Just kiddin........Glad to see you can enjoy some toys, lookin forward to the speedo-healer pic install and info.
What's next?
rock.gif
Chapter 13 debt relief I imagine.
wink.gif

I thought about buying that etrex GPS myself, Target had them for about $90.00 a while back.

I decided to hold off as I wanted one with the mapping capability.

I just snagged this GPS off ebay a few hours ago:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5713374208

About $10 bucks more but it appears to do a heck of a lot more than the etrex. Hopefully the street level maps are accurate and the 32 meg card will hold a decent amount of info.
Can't wait to try it out on my next trip!

Where did you get that stem mount? I've seen a few pics of them mounted on bikes. Is some company selling them?

For those that have them, is the memory on these units expandable? I notice the GPS Legend only has 24MB, don't know what the others have, but I know it won't be long before that much memory only gets the unit up and operating.

For those that have them, is the memory on these units expandable? I notice the GPS Legend only has 24MB, don't know what the others have, but I know it won't be long before that much memory only gets the unit up and operating.
Actually the Legend only has 8mb of space for downloadable maps. The eTrex Vista has 24mb.
wink.gif

Back