Updated Home Articles

mattymatt716

Registered
Is there nothing new to report since 2013? Don't 'get me wrong.... I love coming to this site, and being a part of this community --> great group of people! But, maybe some updating?

How about some of the *wiser* ones of the group writing basic articles on maintenance/mods? I know that these sorts of things can be found by searching the site, but maybe it would give us newbies some extra ideas/help.

Also, it would be great if there was a way to highlight some of our sponsors' new products.... ? (I'm not a sponsor, but I like a good mod like the next guy)

Whatcha think? I'm not sure who's in charge around here, but I wanted to throw out the idea. Anyone can Google... but Google isn't a community. (As much as they'd like to think they are)

There are different sections in the forum..like mods and sponsors.. they highlight their own products and talk about maintenance and modifications.. just have you spend more than .25 looking for them..-

-D

Well Matt the economy has been a major drag on mods and toys and eating and crap like that :laugh: I don't know that there's anything out there with a wow factor, and I'm doubting a Gen III in 2016, soooooo

Well Matt the economy has been a major drag on mods and toys and eating and crap like that :laugh: I don't know that there's anything out there with a wow factor, and I'm doubting a Gen III in 2016, soooooo

Maybe we can push the "Affordable Busa Act" through congress!

The busa is definatly due for a redesign, I for one and holding out against hope that comes soon.. or I may be forced to buy more practical things, like a house...

-D

If you haven't noticed forums are kinda dying out due to other social media platforms. I'm a member of several forums car and motorcycle alike and I can honestly say that this is the most active forum I've ever been a part of. There is a plethora of knowledge on this forum and plenty of willing and able members that contribute to it whether it be reviews, mods, or helping fellow members trouble shoot problems they are having with their bike. Go on most motorcycle forums and your lucky to see 1 or 2 new posts a day..... We get 1 or 2 posts on the hour every hour. Any and everything in this day & age can be "updated" but if this forum stayed exactly how it is it would still be leaps and bounds above most so I'm gratefull 4 what it is rather than what it isn't :whistle:

Gen 3.... My guess is that it won't happen. Instead, they will come up with a new model. Either a new sport-tourer, or relegating touring to their cruiser market and focus on the GSXR "1100" to compete with the faster liter bikes.

Of course, I hope I am wrong and a refresh is immanent.

Hey Matt (I assume, that's your name), there is a lot of info out there. Just browse along, and you will stumble upon a lot of stuff. On occasion, a member would do a write-up. However, this is not an online magazine where everything is neatly structured.

When you find something that really interests you, and you don't get the clarity that you want, then fire away and post your question or thoughts.

To be specific, here are the mods/maintenance items I personally do/favor.

• The biggest and most impact on the fun factor: went turbo two years ago with stage 1 kit (installed and tuned by Frank at PowerHouseMC - a sponsor), and measly 240 HP. Simply unbelievable! I wasn't gonna wait for years until Gen 3 comes along with maybe 195 HP and $16k price tag or so. All the bells and whistles like ABS, traction control, etc. are only desirable extras, more often hiding the raw bike from a rider. My bike ('06) and the turbo cost me around $12.5k combined about two years ago. It doesn't get any better than that.
  • Using Vesrah brake pads (VD349JL) for more braking power/better feel at the lever.
  • Replacing all brake/clutch lines with Stainless Steel braided lines for better braking feel and accuracy, and it's time to replace the lines anyway (mine is '2006). Replacing all bleed screws with speed bleeders (one way valve inside).
  • Oil/filter done recently. New tires in the spring.
  • Installed radar detector (Moto-Raptor), and actually did a write-up recently, but didn't have a chance to ride with it yet.

Besides the bike, there is a piece of software that needs maintenance, i.e. the rider. So, I watch racing videos, reading, thinking, etc. It's time well spent. Riding is 90% mental, so this is very important.

That's all that comes to mind so far.

I am not a big fan of Facebook. There are no real conversations there. More about mingling, and one-liners. Doesn't work for me.

Thanks for the info, IG; I appreciate it! I haven't checked on how easy it is to change the brake lines- that's one thing I've never worked on before. But, I'll read/watch and learn before I'm going to pay someone else to do it. :laugh:

It's easier (but maybe a bit more time consuming) than to change spark plugs. It seems more intimidating, and you gotta be careful with the brake fluid no to get on paint/hands, although I've gotten it on my hands before, and nothing bad happened. I did wash my hands with soap rather quickly. Bleeding if done right, and with understanding that it's a freaking liquid, is not really a big deal. Yeah, read up on this, and if you are mechanically inclined and not afraid to try, you'll be proud of yourself.

I challenge myself on occasion, and 90% of the time come out on top. Just today, the freaking boiler shuts itself off after a few minutes, and the circuit breaker is popped (should be called a safety breaker because has nothing to do with shorts). So, I posted a question on JustAnswer.com where I pay monthly fee of $15 or so, and get to ask any questions for free - lawyers, accountants, car/bike technicians, etc. So, I posted a question and seconds later one HVAC guy got back to me. He asked a few details about the problem, and narrowed down to a few possibilities, one of them being that a CAD sensor (which senses that the flame is ON) may be dirty. The sensor is part of a safety feature - if the boiler is on, but the sensor feels there is no flame, it shuts down the hole thing. So, the guy told me to unscrew a couple of screws, and flip the part with that sensor, and see if it's dirty and clean it if it is. I turned the boiler off, opened the thing, and the CAD sensor seemed to be oily. So, I cleaned it, closed it up, and fired off. Now, the boiler doesn't shut off. I will give it another day, but it seems this fixed the problem. I am proud of myself (although I was a bit intimidated to open it up), learned something new, the heat is back on, and my wife is happy, too. Saved at least $200 to call a technician, and likely would be still waiting because these guys are busy this time of year, and with all the cold.

So, what I am trying to illustrate is that it's worth trying new things, and it's OK to be a bit intimidated. Just use common sense, don't rush, and stop if something is not right. For example, in my case with the boiler, I unscrewed a pair of screws, but couldn't flip the part that was supposed to move. So, I realized those were the wrong screws. Put them back, and tried another pair, and those were the right ones.

There's a ton of info here on the oRg, but with Suzuki dropping the proverbial ball year after year and only revealing BOLD NEW COLORS & GRAPHICS, we've kind of all run out of bike-related topics to post about. If a new Busa hits the street, I'm certain there will be new topics galore to mull over.

If there's anything in particular you want about the Gen1 or Gen2 though, it's here, somewhere among the old Fresca cans, Internet cables and smelly old members lying about :laugh:

Let's just hope Suzuki revives their land yacht, errr, Busa, and soon, says the owner of a Gen1 for 12 years now :rofl:

Back