***UPDATE***

Dr.Jekyll

Registered
Woodbridge CPS actually called me this time. The warranty company has concluded that since it has been 5,800 miles since my last DOCUMENTED oil change, this is what happened:

"Hayabusa engines, since they are so powerful, tend to go through clutches rather quickly. Because of this, and the delinquincy in a regular oil change, the clutch fibers were not able to be filtered by the oil filter and were thus sent back up into the engine. The fibers ALL collected (must be a clutch fiber hangout spot) in the #2 cylinder oil jets and clogged them up. This clog starved the #2 cylinder of oil and caused the catastrophic engine failure." It sounds like excuse #87 in the warranty company's bag of excuses.

The service manager at CPS says that there is not 1 PIECE in my engine that is not damaged to some degree. I need a new engine. Suzuki however, does not, will not sell the 1.3 liter engine seperately from the motorcycle. So my engine will need to be rebuilt, piece by piece. This could be SO FREAKIN' expensive that the warranty company (actually an insurance company) may total my bike and cut me a check. Currently, the service manager at CPS is fighting with Warranty company about replacing the head. CPS says I need a new head ($1300) and Warranty Co. says no.

The issue for me is I gave my bike an oil change mid
June. The last DOCUMENTED oil change occurred at CPS in early March. The engine died at the end of July/Early August(I forget the date). I changed the oil in Mid-June, but have no documentation to back it up. I NEED a generic looking receipt for oil and an oil filter. Anyone want to help me out? The warranty company has not denied the claim, but Service Manager at CPS says that it sure would help....so any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

More to come......

Wow that sucks!
I change the oil in the busa myself... would keeping the receipts from when I buy my oil and filter be considered a "Documented Oil Change"? Or does an actual shop have to say I changed the oil?

I pay the stealership for maintenance during the warranty period. Since I don't buy the extended ones, that's 12 months. FWIW, the guys I know that do their own maintenance keep the receipts + the used oil filters as proof.

yea...

The tranny shares the engine oil for lubrication so when you change the oil (especially with synthetic) you will notice that shifting is silky smooth right after the oil change...

synthetic will handle longer periods between oil changes because it does not break down as quick as traditional oil... I change mine every 2K and everytime I change it, I immediately notice a difference in smoothness for shifting... This definetly would tell ya that the oil isn't as clean at 2K as it was when I changed it, let alone 5400 miles between changes...

Hard to beleive that your engine needs to be replaced from top to bottom...
rock.gif
but, I am not surprised that a rebuild may be in order because when you get all those fragments in the engine oil, it acts like sand paper and strats to grind everything from the inside out...

If I were you... I would definetly try to get the warranty company to pay for it... I would see about having one of your buddies give you one of his receipts from his oil change this summer that doesn't have his name on it and use that...

Also, if the warranty company refuses, you should get a second opinion... I find it hard to beleive that the motor is completely trashed to be honest and it wouldn't be the first time a dealer has lied out their ass; in which case, they are hurting your chances of getting the warranty company to pay for it... I would look for a dealer that is looking out for your best interests and that would give the warranty company, the speal they were looking for, in order to get it paid for... (THat happens all the time...
biggrin.gif
)

You can get parts for cheap.... I left my pistons and rods over at my buddy's place, but I could ask him if he still has the extra parts and possibly send to you... You should make a list of actual parts needed and then go from there...

If you can afford the invest the cash, it may be a good time to put some #### under the hood...
biggrin.gif
(Do I hear turbo or high output NOS...
biggrin.gif
)

Don't give up dude... Just get a receipt from somone and use that; I would send you one myself, but I have been building my bike all summer and haven't needed to get the oil changed until my break-in just expired last week...
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

good luck bro, try a local parts shop to see if they can provide you with a reciept so you could get it taken care of. Even if they want a few bucks to make it worth their time it will be worth it.

Did by some crazy chance you buy the oil and filter using your credit card?

If so, you can print a record from your account.

Of course if you used cash, thats not an option.

Just throwing ideas out there for ya.

Also, if the warranty company refuses, you should get a second opinion... I find it hard to beleive that the motor is completely trashed to be honest and it wouldn't be the first time a dealer has lied out their ass; in which case, they are hurting your chances of getting the warranty company to pay for it... I would look for a dealer that is looking out for your best interests and that would give the warranty company, the speal they were looking for, in order to get it paid for... (THat happens all the time...
biggrin.gif
)

If you can afford the invest the cash, it may be a good time to put some #### under the hood...
biggrin.gif
(Do I hear turbo or high output NOS...
biggrin.gif
)
If a con-rod broke in my truck and punched a hole thru the block, I'd call it trashed, personally. You have to replace the block, you have to replace the head more than likely, and in this case the #2 piston & con-rod. That's more than 50% of the engine. Really just the block alone would do it for me. But that's IMHO.
tounge.gif

And I agree, if he's got the cash, get some goodies in it stat.
smile.gif

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

Sounds like it's time for the big busa kit, some nice new yosh cams and other goodies. I bought a 3yr paid maint with my bike so that everything is covered for 3 yrs. I don't have to worry about any maint, and they send me reminders to help me keep on track.

Sorry for your misfortune bro!

Maybe if the oil change and clutch material was really the problem then owners should look at maybe putting in some kind of aftermarket clutch that wont throw that kind of stuff (or as much of it) around. Oil change with good oil and a good filter sounds like a safe bet.

Good luck with your engine I hope that it doesnt cost you too much out of pocket to get back on the road. Until then what are you "limping around on" I know you must have more than one bike... for every Dr. Jekyll there is a Mr. Hyde so what is your softer side? Maybe a ninja 250 or a giant Gold wing? HEHE j/k.

My only thought is that maybe the material built up over time. Its possible that it all wasnt from just going 5000 miles without an oil change. It could have been hung up and just moved over to the oiler and a little more got with it and poof.. no more oil going through. I just dont see how something like that could happen all of a sudden. Seems like there is more to it than their simple explanation.

Best of luck.

Just had a quick thought.. Try searching around salvage sites that sale repairable bikes. There may be a bike thats been trashed in a wreck that you can get pretty cheap.

Just since the motor company doesnt sell the motors seperately. I checked at a local site www.linnsauto.com and they didnt have any busas... couple of 600 zukes but nothing you would need. Good luck.

-vJ-

Back