Update: Two cops "busted" doing 147+

yes they can

cop needs to lose his job

he needs to realize that when he accepted his job he chose to live a career rather than become employed by a job.

Police should be held to higher standards and penalties than the average person.

People deserve second chances.

Disagree...he should be put on unpaid leave though and have to teach bike safety classes for awhile...

Take it to the track the the rest of us responsible adults..

I don't think he should be placed in unpaid leave that would be like finding him guilty before his trial:laugh: Paid leave if any till case is resolved, still don't think he should loose his job over this. This doesn't make him a bad cop imo. Some front desk time or meter maid time on foot patrol. Ending a career in law enforcement sounds like too much to me. Just wanted to add my :2cents: in each thread:whistle:

Last edited:
I commend the officer for making a statement that he didn't want or expect leniency, but I question the truth of that statement since he changed his plea when he realized the gravity of the penalty in an effort to avoid that penalty. On the other hand, most of us would have done the same in the context of the legal system.

Now that it's in court it appears that the officer is being treated as any other citizen based on the Ohio law information presented in the article. At this point I would hope that the officer has learned his lesson and wish him the best of luck with his case and his career. If he makes it through this and somehow keeps his job, he may turn out be a better officer.

Oh hell, we all look for a break. The guy just got busted doing what most of us do every day. The low speed just indicates he wasn't on a Busa!

You can count on it. I'm surprised that this even was recorded at all.

it was probably recorded somewhere by a subcontractor thus became official record immediately.

Also the same reason they don't seem to be disputing the accuracy of the timing device (they would have to throw out all tickets given if it was found faulty and go through a ton of red tape)

Yes...personally...I think him losing his license an job is getting off easy considering what the average American would have received int he same situation.

it was probably recorded somewhere by a subcontractor thus became official record immediately.

Also the same reason they don't seem to be disputing the accuracy of the timing device (they would have to throw out all tickets given if it was found faulty and go through a ton of red tape)

Yes...personally...I think him losing his license an job is getting off easy considering what the average American would have received int he same situation.

Punishment I think varies by state, My brother got popped doing 130 here he had a suspended DL at the time(yeah he is the bright one in the family:laugh:) so they took him in when he went to court he had fixed his DL from the prior problem so the judge through out the ticket for driving with a suspended DL an nailed for the speeding large fine, driver improvement course,community hours. That was all, seems like they take speeding pretty serious up there in Ohio.

Last edited:
Punishment I think varies by state, My brother got popped doing 130 here he had a suspended DL at the time(yeah he is the bright one in the family:laugh:) so they took him in when he went to court he had fixed his DL from the prior problem so the judge through out the ticket for driving with a suspended DL an nailed for the speeding large fine, driver improvement course,community hours. That was all, seems like they take speeding pretty serious up there in Ohio.

oh in ohio they do but at the same time can you really blame them for speeding well yes, but I've been to ohio nice long straight hills it would be hard not to hit the throttle and give it a run. maybe not at 147 but still I understand too bad they got caught now they have to deal.

Suspended license at a minimum, anything less I think is crap :rulez:

They don't deserve to lose their job, and if their job is threatened by a license suspension most states have work licenses with many limitations. Regardless, saying that they should get less I disagree with. While yes their requires bravery and the ultimate risk, that doesn't mean they should be allowed to go unpunished for things that would conceivably destroy lives of the average person. There is another member on here that was arrested at work for allegedly evading capture....while all the details aren't clear the pure impact on his entire life is felt right there. If the cops do not want to deal then I say all charges possible should be done.

Don't get me wrong, I respect cops and I would always pull over, do the crime do the time....but I do not believe they should be above justice.

They don't deserve to lose their job, and if their job is threatened by a license suspension most states have work licenses with many limitations. Regardless, saying that they should get less I disagree with. While yes their requires bravery and the ultimate risk, that doesn't mean they should be allowed to go unpunished for things that would conceivably destroy lives of the average person. There is another member on here that was arrested at work for allegedly evading capture....while all the details aren't clear the pure impact on his entire life is felt right there. If the cops do not want to deal then I say all charges possible should be done.

Don't get me wrong, I respect cops and I would always pull over, do the crime do the time....but I do not believe they should be above justice.

I agree a suspended lic. is probably in order and a nice cozy desk during that suspension. I don't think losing their job should be on the table everyone needs to work, They do need to pay the price just as everyone else would but I'm not on that jury so it's gonna be what it is I suppose.

I agree a suspended lic. is probably in order and a nice cozy desk during that suspension. I don't think losing their job should be on the table everyone needs to work, They do need to pay the price just as everyone else would but I'm not on that jury so it's gonna be what it is I suppose.
Jury in traffic court? I don't think so.

Let them pay the fines and be done with it.
They have to put up with enough.
Stop driving the wedge deeper.

Anyone in VT can have a 12 person jury empaneled for a speeding violation.

The state just loves it when you do that. :laugh:

id hate to be in the troopers shoes. last ticket i got was for 76 in a 55, the DA at the courthouse reduced it to 64 in a 55 in a millisecond. all he asked was if i could pay it that day if he reduced it. i said yes paid less of a fine and was on my way. that was in Feb. this year. i was in the mustang when i got the ticket. we all make mistakes and around here if you've got money you get to make a lot of mistakes.

id hate to be in the troopers shoes. last ticket i got was for 76 in a 55, the DA at the courthouse reduced it to 64 in a 55 in a millisecond. all he asked was if i could pay it that day if he reduced it. i said yes paid less of a fine and was on my way. that was in Feb. this year. i was in the mustang when i got the ticket. we all make mistakes and around here if you've got money you get to make a lot of mistakes.

Here and I think in most places anything over I think 30, 31? They have the option of arresting you. Also there is a slew of accompanying charges a cop can put on you if he sees fit such as public endangerment or wreckless driving. Defending yourself for going these speed varies, but again, I just feel that they should not get off easier because they are police. However I do not want them to be made examples of either. Their punishment should be in line with anyone else on a bike getting caught at those speeds.

I am in total agreement with you. Let's not compare people in the military who are deliberately put at risk as part of their job, with police who occasionally, might run into risk. For me, there is a lot of difference between being shot to hell in Iraq, and chasing a car down a highway.

Last edited:
B4thenite...I want you to run for president...this is exactly the kind of mentality we need...:laugh:2hip

I got pulled over in an Acura Legend between Bridgeport and Mammoth one time doing about 110mph about 15 years ago..No one on the road..Came around a big sweeper and the CHP didn't even get a gun on me. She estimated me at over 100 mph. Since I worked for a Tahoe hospital she said she wouldn't arrest me on the spot. Cops really really get pissed at anything over 100 mph..that little stunt cost me over 700 dollars with court, fines, traffic school, and 2 days of missed work. Anyone knows, who rides bikes over 100 mph, knows what wind blast is all about...in a crouched position..looking through some sort of screen that has poor optics..neck and eyes in the uncomfortable position...man anything could happen so fast and you are dead...and maybe some poor innocent bystander.
This cop is toast no matter how you look at it. Even a blimish on your record like this can keep you from making sargent if the next guys sheet is clean and you have a reckless...feel sorry for him in the sense that he got seduced by that wicked lady between his legs..I hope who ever posted this orginal will follow up with facts of trial later...would be an interesting read. 2 hip

Back