update on shinko tires performance

sportrider1296

Donating Member
Registered
Hey Guys,

Back in march this year I painted this bike and put a set of new rubber on. I have never bought the same kind of tires twice ever since I have been riding bikes, and I have racked up about 25,000 miles experience. This time I decided to go with Shinko tires. Knowing the busa's bad behavior on back tires I went with sport-touring compound they call the raven 009. The tire cost me $89.99 plus shipping. Grip is great and if it will hold the busa these should be even better on all other bikes. For the front I went with the sport compound they call the advanced 005. It was a whopping $59.00 + S&H. Never had any grip issues in the dry or wet. I run 40 psi in front and rear. I put them on at 6,025 miles and now I have 10,272 miles on the clock. These tires have 4,247 miles on them and they still are great. I estimate the rear will go another 1500 easy and the front will last for a second rear. Guys I know pilot's are great tires but always like to experiment with differant compounds. I really wanted to try the Continental road attacks but I thought they were too pricy for a gamble.

If anyone is interested in getting a great tire at a even better price check this website out:

http://store.azmusa.com/shink.html

Here is a pick of my rear raven 009 with 4,247 miles on it.

busa9_06_009.jpg

I'll second the Ravens!

I'm running the Ravens both front and rear. Have about 1,500 miles on them and they look brand new!

I've been measuring the [rear] tread depth every so often. Started with 3.75mm to the wear bar...now at 3.38mm. Very acceptable for 1500 miles! Much better than my Metzeler M1's.

(Shanling @ Sep. 21 2006,19:28) How big are those chicken strips? Wow!
That's exactly what I was thinking. How can he tell us they really hold when he's got 3/4" of chicken strips on his rear Shinko?
rock.gif

(Quasar @ Sep. 22 2006,06:37)
That's exactly what I was thinking. How can he tell us they really hold when he's got 3/4" of chicken strips on his rear Shinko?  
rock.gif
Glad somebody saw the "hint" there. I talked to a few dealers prior to buying my new tires and was told by all that they (Shinko) were great drag tires but not the kind of tires for a day on the twisties.

Hey glad to hear the stinko's will not melt on the Busa! I used them on my Bandit 1200 and they worked the best of any i had on her!
rock.gif
 43k of commuting mostly miles. All the other (and i used a bunch ) didn't come close for miles "8k" and never slipped in wet like some did.Yata yata yata the 009's rock IMO!! Riding the dragon i got nothing but ragged on. I'm not running that crap! When did they win anything? I got a set comin when these Bridgrocks reach 3500, rear will be toast. Ok here is another place with some good  $$..

My Webpage

and the new Ridenow site    http://www.ridenowonline.com/product....Webpage  Nice under tail! Will you share your installation secrets? I want one but the $$ are short rite now and the chop job to the under seat area keeps me thinkin of just cutting the fender off.   BTW  
post-52-02136-welcome.gif

bowdown.gif

(Shanling @ Sep. 22 2006,07:09)
rock.gif
Glad somebody saw the "hint" there. I talked to a few dealers prior to buying my new tires and was told by all that they (Shinko) were great drag tires but not the kind of tires for a day on the twisties.
I agree. Not good for corner carving.

I've installed a few Shinko rear tires for friends and customers and they are one flat tire profile. They purchased them primarily for drag racing. They couldn't be good for extreme lean, high-speed corner stuff.

(Quasar @ Sep. 22 2006,11:48)
(Shanling @ Sep. 22 2006,07:09)
rock.gif
I agree. Not good for corner carving.

I've installed a few Shinko rear tires for friends and customers and they are one flat tire profile. They purchased them primarily for drag racing. They couldn't be good for extreme lean, high-speed corner stuff.
Like all tire MFG they make em for diff uses, just not like Mich, Dun, etc ads aren't all over on AMA or Moto GP races. These will and i'm sure already has the Big over priced boys taking notice!!! If i had some twisties to ride and did 3k of them a year i would have the Rossi want to B stuff too! Flat straight FL here.  
argue.gif

all_coholic.gif

lurk.gif

super.gif

(sportrider1296 @ Sep. 21 2006,17:06) I have another set of 009's bought up and on hand.

Hey omslaw, how does the front raven 009 grip?
Grips great.

I forgot to save my PM to ya - feel free to post it here so the others can read it.

(Quasar @ Sep. 22 2006,05:37)
rock.gif
They hold just fine. My rear strips are gone and I'm working on finishing off the fronts. (not too many opportunities in KS!
tounge.gif
)

Now, I will say that my M1s did stick from the get-go, but once the Ravens heat up (which isn't long), they stick well.

I've been running the Ravens (front and rear) on my busa since about 8k. I'm just over 13k now. I'd guess that I've got at least another 2k before I will be buying another set. And for you skeptics, please stay that way. I don't want RideNow selling too many sets of these tires...LOL

All right, first up is a lesson for all of you that don't even know what chicken strips are. If you look at my original picture, notice that what you are calling a chicken strip is my heat marks on my tires and the lighter middle are is where I have been moving it around in the driveway. I just got back from a 60 mile round trip to school and it is all interstate. The dark edges is where I didn't scrub the tire in very far today and I have posted a close up pick of my rear with the "real" chicken strip highlight for ya. I have actually nicked and druged my shoes before with these tire so I know they will hold.

busa9_06_019.jpg

(omslaw @ Sep. 22 2006,12:17)
(Quasar @ Sep. 22 2006,05:37)
rock.gif
They hold just fine.  My rear strips are gone and I'm working on finishing off the fronts.   (not too many opportunities in KS!  
tounge.gif
)

Now, I will say that my M1s did stick from the get-go, but once the Ravens heat up (which isn't long), they stick well.
We weren't referring to YOUR chicken strips, we were referring to sportrider1296's chicken strips complete with his little tire nibs fully intact around the edge of the tire. YOU failed to even post a picture of your supposedly chicken stripless Shinkos. From what I've been told about boring, flat, straight Kansas, I find it difficult to believe that you find enough opportunity to use all the tire.

(sportrider1296 @ Sep. 22 2006,16:56) All right, first up is a lesson for all of you that don't even know what chicken strips are.  If you look at my original picture, notice that what you are calling a chicken strip is my heat marks on my tires and the lighter middle are is where I have been moving it around in the driveway.  I just got back from a 60 mile round trip to school and it is all interstate.  The dark edges is where I didn't scrub the tire in very far today and I have posted a close up pick of my rear with the "real" chicken strip highlight for ya.  I have actually nicked and druged my shoes before with these tire so I know they will hold.
Sportrider1296, respectfully…

Being I've ridden for the past 31 years now, I clearly know the difference between chicken strips and a tire that's been run to its very edge. You sir, have NOT run your Shinko to its very edge and you cannot state your Shinkos are capable of hanging to their edge until you have actually taken them to their edge.

As per your original photo, even your Shinko's tire nibs are still fully intact for the entire circumference of your Shinko's tire after 4,247 miles! Had you ridden the Shinko to its edge, those tire nibs would have been long worn off as in GPW's excellent photo example.

Look at GPW's photo. His photo shows the tire will hang to its very edge, as there are no chicken strips nor do any of the tire nibs remain, as they've been worn off.

There's a big difference between GPW's photo and your original photo and your out of focus photo basically provides no tire detail, just the red lines you added.

Another important point: The flatter a tire's profile, the closer to its edge will be its contact wear patch for the same degree of bike lean. Shinko's are typically flatter profiles than the superior corner carving tires therefore, you'd need to push your Shinko to its edge to even come close to the lean angle achieved on superior corner carving tires.

Back