Unsafe riding

Htown Busa

Registered
I'm not writing this to rag on anyone or their riding skills. I am just bringing up something I saw to make people aware. I hope the rider I saw is a member of the Org. This morning during my commute to work in Houston, I was driving south on I-45 at Rankin. I saw a 2008 Busa (Orange and Black) riding the right side of a middle lane. From where I was, it looked like the bike was 1 bike length behind a pick up truck going about 60 mph. On the right side was an 18 wheeler. There was a lot of traffic. The point I am trying to make is that if traffic had suddenly stopped, there would not have been an out for this bike. Even worse, he may have zigged right, into the 18 wheeler.

Then, as we were going from the I-45 S to Beltway 8 (going east), the bike switched quickly into I-45 N to beltway 8 traffic, causing one car to stop hard.

I know many of us think we are invincible and can avoid many situations because we are fast and nimble. I know I have done some "not so safe" riding sometimes, unknowingly because the adrenaline is flowing. I am confident in my riding ability but I can never predict was some car or truck will do.

Just be safe. I really don't want to hear about anybody getting hurt or killed this summer.

I hear ya. Whenever we have a posting about an accident or death we have a tendency to react by blaming the car/truck driver and automatically side with the rider who is down. Quite often it is the rider at fault due to tailgating or unsafe lane changes, two things that I see pretty much every day practiced by riders on all kinds of bikes. Ride safe......I don't know about you but under my helmet, leather and armour I am pink, soft & squishy and easily damaged by sudden stops and sliding on hard surfaces.:please:

besides his front and right side escapes... I worry as much about the guy on my six... Last thing I want to be is part of a motorcycle sandwich... I make sure I have room in front for the guy behind me too...

good reminder of making sure you always have an "out"

I hope that guy is a member of the Org, and see's this thread!! He needs to read this stuff and listed to the advice from other riders.. Tell him the:rulez:guys..:poke:

I usually use the term for someone you ride erratically without gear. I'm not positive but I think the squid term comes from how how soft a squids body looks and feels and that is how one of these riders will look if they got in an accident.

kinda funny you mention this, i had a rider the other day on my six while i was in my cage in traffic doing about 70 no more than a half of bike length away from the rear, and he did it to others also, plus wearing no gear cept for a lid....scarry stuff...

I hear ya. Whenever we have a posting about an accident or death we have a tendency to react by blaming the car/truck driver and automatically side with the rider who is down. Quite often it is the rider at fault due to tailgating or unsafe lane changes, two things that I see pretty much every day practiced by riders on all kinds of bikes. Ride safe......I don't know about you but under my helmet, leather and armour I am pink, soft & squishy and easily damaged by sudden stops and sliding on hard surfaces.:please:

Good post, good points!

Back