Unrestricting 2003 models

1.  Yes, the resistor hack is cheaper, but I'll pay the extra $$$ for a *clean* plug-in device so that when/if I go to resell it later, I don't have a homemade hack in my wiring harness to piss off a potential buyer.  If you're dead-set on making your own, more power to ya, but at least put the extra effort into finding/buying the necessary plugs rather than chop up your wiring harness....eesh...

2.  The Ivan TRE's are a bit cheaper at indysuperbikes.com than they are at hayabusazone.com (and this site claims it works for the 03 as well)

Your mileage may vary.  And to those who asked, the TRE (a.k.a. resistor pack) simply fools the ECM into thinking that you're still in 5th gear, and Ivan's claim is that the speed limiter only kicks in while in 6th gear.  Since your ECM thinks you never go into 6th, it doesn't kick in (according to them).

***NOW***  If I'm at Suzuki and I see this simple "hack" come out, you can bet that I'll more-than-likely look at an ECM logic rewrite next time I change/re-order the ECM for my next production run.  From what some folks are posting, that may have happened with the '03 production year.  It wouldn't take a HUGE logic re-write to tell the ECM to watch not just 6th but rather ALL gears (because if you leave any gear open, they'll just make new TRE hacks to exploit the remaining ones!)

I'm still waiting for someone to come here and post a true testimony saying "Yes, I have an 03, I installed a TRE, and yes, I exceeded the 186 cutoff."  Until that happens or a Suzuki engineer or ECM supplier comes online, nobody knows for 100% sure...  Just because the TRE cleans up 1st and 2nd in terms of throttle response does NOT automatically mean that the ECM is still being "tricked" to get past the limiter...
I do not have actual proof from a GPS but i do know that I had to lift off the throttle while wide open in Sixth gear since I was on the rev limiter in Sixth. I am sure someone can do the math and tell me how fast I was going. When the bike hit the limiter it was still pulling. I don't claim I was over 186 but would really like to know just to say i did it once. It will definitely not happen again on public roads, A butterfly hit me in the knuckle at around 175 indicated and it felt like I got shot with a pellet gun at close range. Also, I shifted into sixth gear with the speedo buried at 185 indicated and then it pulled out to the limiter in sixth. Someone tell me how fast I was going.

Gotta love restrictor huh. Kinda like putting a nice steak in front of you and putting a piece of plexiglass in front of you. Yes you can still get it but you have to work for it. Gotta love politics
I've been to 186 several times and that limiter sucks. My 03 is lowered 3" and has a full yosh titanium and it hits that limiter pretty hard :blush:

1.  Yes, the resistor hack is cheaper, but I'll pay the extra $$$ for a *clean* plug-in device so that when/if I go to resell it later, I don't have a homemade hack in my wiring harness to piss off a potential buyer.  If you're dead-set on making your own, more power to ya, but at least put the extra effort into finding/buying the necessary plugs rather than chop up your wiring harness....eesh...

2.  The Ivan TRE's are a bit cheaper at indysuperbikes.com than they are at hayabusazone.com (and this site claims it works for the 03 as well)

Your mileage may vary.  And to those who asked, the TRE (a.k.a. resistor pack) simply fools the ECM into thinking that you're still in 5th gear, and Ivan's claim is that the speed limiter only kicks in while in 6th gear.  Since your ECM thinks you never go into 6th, it doesn't kick in (according to them).

***NOW***  If I'm at Suzuki and I see this simple "hack" come out, you can bet that I'll more-than-likely look at an ECM logic rewrite next time I change/re-order the ECM for my next production run.  From what some folks are posting, that may have happened with the '03 production year.  It wouldn't take a HUGE logic re-write to tell the ECM to watch not just 6th but rather ALL gears (because if you leave any gear open, they'll just make new TRE hacks to exploit the remaining ones!)

I'm still waiting for someone to come here and post a true testimony saying "Yes, I have an 03, I installed a TRE, and yes, I exceeded the 186 cutoff."  Until that happens or a Suzuki engineer or ECM supplier comes online, nobody knows for 100% sure...  Just because the TRE cleans up 1st and 2nd in terms of throttle response does NOT automatically mean that the ECM is still being "tricked" to get past the limiter...
I do not have actual proof from a GPS but i do know that I had to lift off the throttle while wide open in Sixth gear since I was on the rev limiter in Sixth. I am sure someone can do the math and tell me how fast I was going. When the bike hit the limiter it was still pulling. I don't claim I was over 186 but would really like to know just to say i did it once. It will definitely not happen again on public roads, A butterfly hit me in the knuckle at around 175 indicated and it felt like I got shot with a pellet gun at close range. Also, I shifted into sixth gear with the speedo buried at 185 indicated and then it pulled out to the limiter in sixth. Someone tell me how fast I was going.
About 184mph actual. the way you discribe your run, you did not hit the limiter but the restrictor 2 different items. rev limiter- speed restriction. RPM is about 10808 (11) on the tach.

Stupid question maybe, but would it be as 'simple' as swapping in an '02 or older ECU into your '03+ bike & using a TRE to get past all this?

Just an idea. :sad:
no it would be easier to install the A switchable TRE and be done with it.
But I bet you won't hit 186 twice in your life
this is an excellent point, that everyone seems to keep missin. Most rders 99% of riders will not even hit the restriction. There is nothing wrong with this. don not just follow some of us that have hit true 20mph speeds. even those of us who have do not do it everytime we are riding. The point is do not change your bike for a status symbol. max it out and then make a change if need be.

About 184mph actual.  the way you discribe your run, you did not hit the limiter but the restrictor 2 different items.  rev limiter- speed restriction.  RPM is about 10808 (11) on the tach.
Thanks Ninja, I knew I could count on you to tell me the true estimated speed. It was definitely fast enought for me to say I won't do it again. Everybody I ride with was still several miles behind me so I don't care to prove it is the fastest.

I have a good question, If the speedo is off that far at 186 indicated then how is the speed limiter set at true 186? Does the computer have a more accurate reading of the speed compared to the indication? Just thought I would throw this out there for discussion.

Talking about TRE mods on 2003, I removed mine the other day for a service call from a broken chain and after getting the bike back I can not tell the difference. The bike actually feels like it pulls harder in the mid range than before. I roke the connector and since I can't feel a difference I don't think I am going to put it back on. I felt the biggest gain I have sen with this bike was tuning it with the TEka SFI I just need to make it to JohnnyCheeses for some real proof that the Teka unit works. Johnny, I need your number and maybe this winter I can make a trip down. But back to the original question did the TRE work or not? I don't think it made an improvement but it did affect the timing a little.

Back