Unrestricting 2003 models

look in the switchable TRE topic in this sections, i posted a link that shows how to do a TRE with a resistor, and switchable TRE.

When you buy the 70 dollars TRE, you lift the tank, unplug the connection between the ecm and gps and plug the TRE inbetween.

With the resistor you do the same but cut the wires then connect them with resistor

Before I left Japan it was put on the machine at Doc Suda's.
Yes the G-Pack does remove the restriction. It ran to 10,552 rpm in 6th gear. I didn't get a print out because the fellas hooked me up on some elses dime. I told them take to 6th and as much throttlr as they could get.

I don't know top speed because I was still running kph and a 16T up front.

But the G-Pack is as advertised.

I bought the G-pack because in Japan I didn't have the time to find a place to get the resistor. Its very hard with the language barrier. And I was also trying to get a product that was reputable. The home made one is the way to go I think because you can add a switch.

Thanks Odd. i'll try it . Fatjap , what did your tree cost you and do you have a switchable one ? Does it affect your starts or idle very bad ?

The only switchable version is either the one Bluegauges.com used to sell, or a homemade one.

I saw a G-pak for 60 dollars somewhere, i donno how much they sell for tho.

A homemade switchable TRE will cost you depending on what you already have

What you need:

Wire (22 guage) 5.00 for a pack of 3 color (RED, GREEN, BLACK) 45' spools or a 100' spool (BLACK) for $5.00

Soldering Iron $10.00

Soldering $2.00

DPDT flip switch $4.00

Electical tape $1.00

Resistor maybe 10 cents at most

I have used just a cheapo lighter before for soldiering when i didnt have access to an iron, if you want you can use a simple lighter if you dont want ot spend the 10 on an iron.

So it can cost anywhere from 5-20 dollars for a switchable TRE, depending on what you already have. Hope this info has help some of you out there.

I got my G-Pack right from Nikko in germany. I used the US dollar-Japanese yen-German euro so I think at the time it was42 bucks but the US dollar was strong then.

Sorry.

It doesn't have a switch.

As far as idle and starts, its fine.
But I know I have a high performance vehicle and it idles as such. You'll know somethings different the first time you hear it idle with the TRE on. I love mine.

I'm going to get the resistor . I'll let you know how it goes . Thanks Bro !

Hey guys, I have the 2001 model, which (i believe) is the first one with limitation. I understand that if 4th gear reaches about 173MPH (280 km/h), then it has modifications only in 5th and 6th gear... or is it only the 6th?
The RPM when it reaches 186MPH (300 Km/h) in 6th gear is about 9.500RPM so it looks like something's wrong... The original Busa reached 211MPH (340Km/h) (on speedometer) right? I'm soooooo confused!!!
rock.gif

(well the values i told you may be a little bit different, 'cause it's hard to be looking at the panel at that speed)

Of course if police reads this, all of the facts described above are pure fiction.
smile.gif

One more thing...

When i buy a new tyre, i will tell you correctly the speed i have in each gear, but i believe is 74 / 111 / 145 / 174 / 186 / 186 MPH or (in Km/h) 120 / 170 / 230 / 280 / 300 / 300.

Does it match to what you usually get in a normal limited 'busa? (don't kill me if any value is incorrect... i'm doing this by memory... and all values are aproximate).

Legal: this data was taken from a computer game
cool.gif

Thanks for your Reply N E. i hope some day soon i can unrestrict my bike.
also if you can give me advice when i can get me a good GPS for the bike
Good but nopt expensive is gamin E-trex. $99.00 at Walmart also on-line. Give you all you need just have to make sure it is in the open pocket or on the tree, not under the Hump.

I made a full custom switchable TRE for my Busa about 6 months ago. It ended up costing me about $40 but is very cool (locking switch, LED indicator near the instrument panel, etc.) After playing with it for a day or two, I have never had it out of TRE mode because it works MUCH better than stock. Looking back I probably would just cut the wires between the connector and the GPS and solder in a 10 cent resistor and be done with it.

For those interested, the black and pink wires are the ones to cut and the resistor is soldered between them. You don't have to cut the black wire, it is a ground. But you do have to solder to it. Don't cut the blue wire - that is the neutral indicator and is required for the ECU to work correctly. you will get a "FI" light if you do cut it. This connector is under the fuel tank on the left side (3 wire) and it is cheaper to replace the GPS than the entire harness if you bugger up the wires cuting them. So cut on the sensor side of the connector and give your self a few inches. Also make sure to insulate the exposed wires to prevent shorts.

The CD contains a parts microfiche and a service manual; it's based on a 1999 Busa with up dates for the newer models.

1.  Yes, the resistor hack is cheaper, but I'll pay the extra $$$ for a *clean* plug-in device so that when/if I go to resell it later, I don't have a homemade hack in my wiring harness to piss off a potential buyer.  If you're dead-set on making your own, more power to ya, but at least put the extra effort into finding/buying the necessary plugs rather than chop up your wiring harness....eesh...

2.  The Ivan TRE's are a bit cheaper at indysuperbikes.com than they are at hayabusazone.com (and this site claims it works for the 03 as well)

Your mileage may vary.  And to those who asked, the TRE (a.k.a. resistor pack) simply fools the ECM into thinking that you're still in 5th gear, and Ivan's claim is that the speed limiter only kicks in while in 6th gear.  Since your ECM thinks you never go into 6th, it doesn't kick in (according to them).

***NOW***  If I'm at Suzuki and I see this simple "hack" come out, you can bet that I'll more-than-likely look at an ECM logic rewrite next time I change/re-order the ECM for my next production run.  From what some folks are posting, that may have happened with the '03 production year.  It wouldn't take a HUGE logic re-write to tell the ECM to watch not just 6th but rather ALL gears (because if you leave any gear open, they'll just make new TRE hacks to exploit the remaining ones!)

I'm still waiting for someone to come here and post a true testimony saying "Yes, I have an 03, I installed a TRE, and yes, I exceeded the 186 cutoff."  Until that happens or a Suzuki engineer or ECM supplier comes online, nobody knows for 100% sure...  Just because the TRE cleans up 1st and 2nd in terms of throttle response does NOT automatically mean that the ECM is still being "tricked" to get past the limiter...

Stupid question maybe, but would it be as 'simple' as swapping in an '02 or older ECU into your '03+ bike & using a TRE to get past all this?

Just an idea. :sad:

There are tons of posts on this board and Gixxer.com board that explain in detail that this does in fact work on an 03 Busa. People need to spend a little more time researching this subject and they can generally answer their own questions. I personnally know that the switchable TRE from JeffW from Gixxer.com does work. I had one on mine since I had 25 miles on it. Only reason I am going to the ATRE is that I feel that the 4th gear timing map will be better for the first three gearsand the ATRE claims taht their system does not affect the neutral timing. Don't get me worng I am sure I passed up 186 a couple of weeks ago but definitely do not need to do that again. I think my neck still hurts from trying to stay under the screen. So to answer the on going question of the uneducated yes the TRE does work on the 03's just order one and quit whining because some else said theres will do faster than 186 and yours won't.

Back