Unfair?

Kento-Moto

Hayabusa Immortal
Donating Member
Registered
Probly not unfair but disappointing to say the least. :(

Mrs Moto recieved a " Citation " her 1st in 17 years of driving. She went a little wide when making a right turn on a residential street and according to the CHP officer, her left front tire went on the double solid yellow line. There was no oncoming traffic however a CHP officer was behind her and pulled her over. He told her why ... no other discussion. Little background, my wife is the cutest, meekest and friendleist gal around. She is way more cautious and law abidding driver than I. The ticket said she was " Driving left of the double yellow line ... " There is no distinction of 1 tire on the line or all four over ...

1 week later the notice arrived in the mail.

$203 or take traffic school along with the fine and pay $252 plus traffic school fee's of approx $45. You can take the class online which is a joke but it is how the system works, and it keeps the points from going on your record and thus your insurance comapny doesnt need to be informed...

I was very surprised that the fine was more for going the traffic school route. I would think that if "Safety" was the foremost concern then they would charge you less for ticket knowing that you have successfully completed a saftey course ... think again! I called the court and the woman had little interest in my questions and said I can do whatever I want but the court is unlikely to reduce the fine even if my wife has a perfect record and they didnt care if she took the traffic course but they charge an additional $49 to track if the course was completed sucessfully or not. Big deal, the traffic school submits an electronic notice that you passed.

I have spoken with a friend who is local PD, he said " They have you by the ... just pay it." I also spoke with another friend who is a retired court clerk, she confirmed that the State of California gets over 98% of the funds generated by CHP issuing citations and that the fine went up dramtically in July 2009. Even if we went to court to try and request leniency the fine would only drop a few $ if at all. She also said inner dept memos go out all the time to be aware of ways to keeps funds flowing but you will never see that in print to the public. I did find in print that "There are no Quota's ... Quota's are illegal, " But we do have minimum's to issue ... "

I was unable to find a total $ amount generated for the state from citations issued by the CHP. But I found that one smaller county ( Shasta ) Generates approx $10 million for the state. Same report said that the fine may be only $100 - $200 or so but the fee's and asessments can more than double the total amount.

There is no cop bashing here in this post, I have lots of friends in law enforcement, just a rant.

Now greater injustices happen all the time so this is not a big deal per se' just a bit irritating when our personal income is way down and it seems obvious to me this was a money maker. I can look at this as payment for all the times I was less than safe on public roads... but again it seems unfair why one person will be let go at " officers discretion " with just a warning for driving wreckless, speeding, doing stoppies, wheelies ... and a very minor infraction at officers discression can be so expensive. ??? I cant help but wonder why, if it was a minor infraction, she had all of her paper work and was respectful ... why was she not eligible for a warning? If we did it, either we should all get tickets or not. And the state generating revenue should have nothing to to with it. :angry:

Kento

interesting link

Traffic ticket truth and myth. | Tatto Cover up

Last edited:
BUMMER DUDE !
Nothing more than revenue generation is all dont sweat it.
She and 20 other folks are still scratching their heads asking why ?

That does suck, Might have been different if there was an oncoming car.

Move to Tulsa, They just laid off 150 Police officers, You can drive down the wrong way all you want, Theres no one here to stop you.

( what were they thinking )

Like you said its nothing against cops in general, but it seems more and more they are trying to nail you for the smallest thing. ESPECIALLY for things that carry a pretty hefty fine. Just think of it this way, if they wanted to be really mean about it they probably could have added some other fines in there as well.

but either way, it still sucks! :banghead:

WOW, that is rediculous. Hmmmmmmm can you say money is getting tight everywhere.... I think is a perfect case of CHP is short on funds!!!

All about revenue....I just got one in TN gonna cost me about $250 to keep it off my record....

Last edited:
Nutz~!~

I'd be taking that to court if it were here...sounds like she would have a good case to fight~!~

Nutz~!~

I'd be taking that to court if it were here...sounds like she would have a good case to fight~!~

Thats what I thought and I am tempted but I already asked and I cant speak for her so has to rep herself, and as I mentioned the people in the know said it wont help much if any if you approach the judge.

I'm thinkin it is pay up & shut up time.

Also thinkin if I ever get caught on the scooter doin anymore than a couple miles over... probly lookin at handcuffs. :fire:

It sounds just like the photo radar here in Az. The only reason why they put them all up is to try and raise money. That is one of the crapy things about this economy that we are in these days. I am sorry to hear that the cop would not give your wife a break.

I know your frustration Kent, so very irritating when you get cought in CA's money machine. I think it's quite clear that traffic citation fines primary intent is government revenue generation, it's been this way for quite some time now. Shoot they arn't even trying to hide it behind the lie that it's to encourage safer driving habits, Arnold wants to modify all red light cameras to also become speeding ticket cameras to generate something like 70 billion dollars. He also has the bright idea of selling advertising time on the Amber Alert LED displays on the freeways. Mo Money - Mo Money .... Only problem is is that they overspend no matter how much they have coming in, can you imagine if you ran your small business in this fashion? Last time I checked that was called a "negative cash flow", a big no-no in the private sector but for government? hey it'l be OK :goodidea:

I failed my drivers test at 16 the first time for the same thing. Didnt come close to that yellow line the second time.

Don't color outside the lines, conform, we are your friends, resistance is futile, feel the love, big brother is only trying to help you ???

Back