Unfair Supreme court ruling

Lurch

The milkman cometh!!!
Donating Member
Registered
Ok, first things first. I have nothing against over weight people for I am one.

After reading this article I find myself asking some very important questions.

The main one being. How can an airline efectivley book their flights not knowing someone will need 2 seats for the price of one. I fly on a regular basis and there are very few flights any more with empty seats. People get bumped frequently. Now I have a person requiring 2 seats to fit there body in and I have a FULL flight. Now what? I bump an average sized person to make room for the Non-Average sized customer. How is that fair to the bumped passenger and my airline. The bumped passenger will now be disgrunteled with my company and never fly with me again, They may also pass on word of what happened and I have even more upset passengers or potential passengers.

Read the following story and post up your opions.
Obese have right to two airline seats, one fare - News- msnbc.com

Yes this is from Canada, but it may becoming to us real soon.

Seems to me that special considerations should be taken at the time of ticketing...special needs, etc. Might help solve the problem.

Say, if I was grossly overweight, I might bring up this fact to an airline employee so that my 'special need' might be met. Heading the problem off at the pass...

Just thinkin'...

Seems to me that special considerations should be taken at the time of ticketing...special needs, etc. Might help solve the problem.

Say, if I was grossly overweight, I might bring up this fact to an airline employee so that my 'special need' might be met. Heading the problem off at the pass...

Just thinkin'...

OK, I tell the agent that I am over weigth and will need 2 seats to accomodate my body "Type".
Agent replies, I am sorry sir all flights for the specified travel time are booked. We do not have any seats available.
I contact an attorney and Sue seaid airline for discrimination.
I do not see this as an option to fix said problem.

Sorry Scar. I see your thought process, but because we have to many lawyers and not enough work for them I see this going in a very bad direction.

Next.:poke:

Would a stipulation within the Company require advance booking only for two seat occupancy thus heading off the bumping of another?

r8

Even if they don't get two seats, they might as well have...

My GF just took a flight to Chicago last month in which she was in the middle seat of three. On her right was a 200+ lb female, on her left a 350+ lb male, both of which required a portion of her seat/space (us thinner folks do still require SOME space). The male even required that she raise the arm rest between her or he simply wouldn't have fit in the space. Of course, that meant that he was taking even more of her space.

I have no idea how she put up with it. I would have at the VERY least demanded the aisle seat. I also would very strongly consider demanding a different seat altogether and a partial of complete refund.

I have nothing against large folks, but why should smaller folks be forced to accommodate them? If you need two seats, buy two seats. Besides, as more and more of the population becomes obese, how is an airline supposed to survive when they could have a flight of 50% or greater tickets that are taking up double the seating?

At some point, we have stop worrying about being politically correct and start taking responsibility for ourselves.

Good luck out there!

Would a stipulation within the Company require advance booking only for two seat occupancy thus heading off the bumping of another?

r8

Yes that would solve the bumping of another passenger. But how do you accomplish this? As a company if you cloud get away with denying a passenger a seat do to a "Full flight" so you can sell 2 seats at 2 full fares instead of 2 seats for 1 fare would you and take your chances with a law suit? What about the day you really do have a full flight and only 1 seat available, and the person requiring 2 seats calls FOWL and sues?

I do not see a good, fair way to make this work.
Someone please help me see the light and the way to do this with out shafting the airline or other passengers.

hmmmm and where do we suppose THIS legal stupidity originated from? Anyone? Anyone?

Common sense is being BRED out people! [and lawyers profit off THAT too, maybe even more so]

I can't follow this logic. If I cannot fit in a standard sized seat and need to occupy a 2nd seat then I should be charged for a 2nd seat, or 1st class where the seats are bigger.

If my ass cannot fit on a scooter, according to the Canadian Supreme Court, the dealership better upgrade me to a full size motorcycle I DO fit on, but for the price of the scooter.

...hey wait, :beerchug: let's do it. I'll take a $1500 hayabusa please Canada.

Even if they don't get two seats, they might as well have...

My GF just took a flight to Chicago last month in which she was in the middle seat of three. On her right was a 200+ lb female, on her left a 350+ lb male, both of which required a portion of her seat/space (us thinner folks do still require SOME space). The male even required that she raise the arm rest between her or he simply wouldn't have fit in the space. Of course, that meant that he was taking even more of her space.

I have no idea how she put up with it. I would have at the VERY least demanded the aisle seat. I also would very strongly consider demanding a different seat altogether and a partial of complete refund.

I have nothing against large folks, but why should smaller folks be forced to accommodate them? If you need two seats, buy two seats. Besides, as more and more of the population becomes obese, how is an airline supposed to survive when they could have a flight of 50% or greater tickets that are taking up double the seating?

At some point, we have stop worrying about being politically correct and start taking responsibility for ourselves.

Good luck out there!

No way in hell could I have handled that! I would rather hang out in the bathroom the whole flight or tell the flight attendent to change seats with me. I'm 6'3" 220 but can fit well w/in one seat.

One seat for one person is a pretty simple rule. Special needs my azz....the special need is to stop eating so damn much! All it does is provide incentive to stay obese and have other passengers resent you. I don't know how in the hell they can make a ruling like that.

One seat for one person is a pretty simple rule. Special needs my azz....the special need is to stop eating so damn much! All it does is provide incentive to stay obese and have other passengers resent you. I don't know how in the hell they can make a ruling like that.

:clap:

r8

The government is fixing obesity. This shouldn't be a problem for long

Last edited by a moderator:
if they need two seats than they pay for two seats. or they can loose weight. fair is fair.

Functionally disabled? WTF? You don't understand, I have a disease, it involves standing at the refridgerator for long periods beyond my control. :poke:
Give me a break!!
Seems to me that those who suffer from "self-inflicted" functional disability should be disqualified from this two seat priviledge.

Back