Unbelieveable -- Idaho Stealership Work

FloydV

Donating Member
Registered
I know ultimately the responsibility is mine (check your bike before you ride),
but this is what I discovered:

Last spring, I let Action Motor Sports in Idaho Falls (there is only one), put on a new chain, sprockets, and cush rubbers. The chain seemed tensioned right, and the bike didn't exhibit anything unusual from then till now.

I decided the chain needed a little slack removed and so I went to loosen the castle nut. I looked for a long time at it, and I couldn't find a cotter pin. I did find 4 holes for one, but none of them were deep enough to put a pin through.

I became very suspicious and got a 1-17/16" wrench and started to tighten.
The nut was almost finger tighten loose! It must have taken 6 or more revolutions before I got it really tight. At that point I could see that a pin would fit. I cut a piece of coat hanger and put it through and bent both ends over until I can get a 36 mm socket to torque it.

The nut would have walked right off if I hadn't caught it in time. I'll write the Better Business Bureau of course, but it seems that you can't trust anybody. Especially the hill billies around here.

It had been riding alright, but are there places I should check for damage?

That's why I work on my own junk unless there is a recall. Then it's trailer in, trailer out, complete head to toe inspection before I leave the dealership. They don't like me much, but I could care less. Most of them seem to have forgotten about customer service. :rulez:

Unfortunately I have noticed lately that a lot of people and some business's don't care to do things the correct way or to the best of their ability and won't go the extra step to make sure the customer is happy. Evidently the word "professionalism" doesn't mean what it used to.

+3 on all of the above. I take my time doing, then double check, then triple check, and then still go over it in my head just to make sure, and then check again after a ride or two.

When a human has a lot of work, and a tight schedule, things like that are unavoidable.

I took the busa in one time because my fan would t kick on. They cross threaded a fairing bolt. Now I have a hole where one should b

Rockethead using Tapatalk

I feel for you, man. Last time I had a set of tires put on, I'm pulling out of the stealership when the mechanic runs out screaming "Stop! Wait! I forgot to tighten your brakes!"

I've been considering buying a tire machine ever since.

I feel for you, man. Last time I had a set of tires put on, I'm pulling out of the stealership when the mechanic runs out screaming "Stop! Wait! I forgot to tighten your brakes!"

dang, at least he caught u before something bad happened

Even the simple things must be checked. When I got my rectifier replaced, I asked them if I could do the replacement myself and they said "Not for warranty work"! When I picked up my bike I pointed out they destroyed one of the push pins and just set it in there and they also didn't route the fuel vent and drain through the fairing. The mechanic looked surprised I noticed it and they fixed it on the spot. So much for the experts!

Wow, now that's scary........

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to get the stainless steel cotter pin.

At least now I don't feel like it's just me. This kind of decline in workmanship seems to be everywhere.

I like to do my own work, but bikes are hard to work on. Everything is crammed in so tight (because it has to be). Still, better than having a wreck from letting someone else work on it.

I'm moving to a much bigger city in a couple of months. Maybe I can find a shop that isn't a dealer shop.

This seems par for the course. :(

Of course, when mechanics are pressured to do a job in book time, whether it's reasonable or not, regardless of what else they're pulled of the job for, this stuff is BOUND to happen. Our work culture is all about quantity, quality be damned. It all comes down to the individual shop and/or mechanic and if they're work ethic demands quality. Because profit only wants fast/volume.

Working s/b like riding: It's always better to take a little more time to do the best job you can. It's OK to go fast but you should never, EVER be in a rush!

Same thing happened to me, except the shop didn't stop to warn me; they took my money, handed me my key, then let me find out for myself that I had no brakes as I was pulling out of the lot! Got REAL scary there for a couple of seconds!!

CW

This seems par for the course. :(

Of course, when mechanics are pressured to do a job in book time, whether it's reasonable or not, regardless of what else they're pulled of the job for, this stuff is BOUND to happen. Our work culture is all about quantity, quality be damned. It all comes down to the individual shop and/or mechanic and if they're work ethic demands quality. Because profit only wants fast/volume.

Working s/b like riding: It's always better to take a little more time to do the best job you can. It's OK to go fast but you should never, EVER be in a rush!
Thats the American way.....get all the money you can at any cost, and to hell with quality of work or customer service. Greeds a wonderful thing eh? :laugh:
And if you want the job done right you really have to do it yourself. Finding a good shop nowadays is like finding a needle in a haystack...pretty much impossible :banghead:
One thing about the recession I like is watching these shid-azz shops going under :thumbsup:

Back