Unbelievable luck - brand new r146rrd for $250

LightCycle

Donating Member
Registered
Good evening all,

I just picked up a Yoshimura 4+2+1 SS Full System with the RS3 Can. The part number is R146RRD.

It was kind of unexpected so I didn’t do any research before I bought it. However, it was brand new, still in the original packaging and I got it for $250. So I jumped all over it.

The stock headers look like it has high temp black paint. The system I just bought is SS. Am I going to have heat issues? Should I look at getting the headers ceramic coated through Jet-Hot? http://www.jet-hot.com/  I did this on my Trans Am about 4 years ago, and my Edelbrock headers rocked when I got them back, plus they still look brand new today.

I did use the search button, but only came up with 3 hits for Jet-Hot, and none contained any information other than a plug for the company, which is understandable, those guys are awesome.

I also guess it’s Power Commander time. I’m curious though… what would happen if I say… waited a couple of weeks in-between the full system install and buying a Power Commander? Is the Power Commander the best option for this kind of set up? I wouldn’t expect any sort of damage at all, nor would I expect any back-firing issues or if I did, would the marble mod or pair valve mod take care of it?

On my Trans Am I have two computers, the stock and a custom tuned. (I have to change them out during emissions inspections). I’ve got a K&N cold air intake, Edelbrock headers, and an SLP Cat-back system. With the stock computer I do notice a significant drop in power, but no drivability issues, and of course no concerns of any damage.

I’m wondering if the same theory could be applied to my bike.

Thanks for the help.

<!--EDIT|LightCycle
Reason for Edit: None given...|1150077160 -->

If you disable your PAIR valve.....you can run a full exhaust system without messing with your tuning. Bike is rich enough to survive.

I recently installed the same system in my otherwise fully stock bike. There were no issues with backfiring before I installed the power commander. After the installation of the power commander, the yoshi map resulted in no backfires but other recommended maps caused backfiring. I made some little adjustments to the map I have installed now, basically leaning it a little bit and will try tomorrow.

Running the bike without the PC should not be any problem.

my $0.02

I got a quote from jethot for a the header and mids on the dual high mount HMF. I believe it was a little less than $250 for the header and mids. Have to dig out the quote to be sure tho.

Don

thanks for the response folks. So I'm guessing no one has had any heat issues with uncoated headers? It seems like these bikes run hot anyway, and I thought with uncoated headers sitting so close to the radiator, I would just be asking for heat buildup.

LightCycle, with the $$$ I spent on Guinevere, the $$ that new plastics cost and the $$ I will spend on the HMF setup, it is worth it to me to send the exhaust to jethot. They can coat the mids in color too.

JMHO

Don

Oh yeah,

I forgot. You might as well put a muzzy fan in there while you have the header out, that will help too.

Don

thanks for the response folks. So I'm guessing no one has had any heat issues with uncoated headers? It seems like these bikes run hot anyway, and I thought with uncoated headers sitting so close to the radiator, I would just be asking for heat buildup.
radiator? Nahhhhhhh

just make sure to get some insulating fabric and line your plastics EVERYWHERE your pipe gets close.....sometimes its best to be triple sure than replace a melted or bubbled panel.

Thanks for all the feedback. I guess I'll wait to send them off to Jet Hot before I do the install.

Can anyone give me a ball park on HP gains I might experience with just the full system install and no Power Commander? And then maybe a Ball Park with a Power Commander?

All I've really read about on the .org is that I'll see a difference because of the 20 lbs weight difference. Less weight = faster bike.

I had also wondered if the full system created horsepower, or free'd up horsepower due to decreased back pressure.

I'm still using the same logic as on a car with stock manifolds VS "tuned" headers.

I'm thinking that as the Busa has stock headers which are 2 primaries to 1 secondary, this would decrease back pressure and "free" up horsepower more efficiently than a 4+2+1. Seems like a lot of exhaust being forced into a smaller tube, which would make the engine work harder to expel the exhaust.

Or am I just completely off base with the comparison?

<!--EDIT|LightCycle
Reason for Edit: "4:2:1 makes smily face..... sweet"|1150129339 -->

Back