Ultimate Busa Crosstraining

raydog

Enjoying 1 road at a time
Donating Member
Registered
Twelve miles this morning on frozen, muddy and snowy singletrack!
>steering is total challenge to quickness
>constant focus on traction
>gear selection is critical
>both hands always on bars
>ATGATT
>you vrs the elements
>hot shower at the end is quite the reward!
>it makes me think I deserve to kick back and watch a bowl game

I highly recommend pushing past the "I don't want to" barrier in the "off season", it takes us to places in your spirit that remain inaccessable to the masses.

misc pics of this mornings ride below...the last two are of "racers roller training" (I do it twice weekly) you face a screen with terrain and watch yourself (colored icon) travel across the virtual course with riding buds. It also displays heartrate, speed, avg speed, wattage, etc.....really cool!
Raydog (ps the one distance shot is Reno in the background)

P1030251.JPG

P1030252.JPG

P1030254.JPG

P1030256.JPG

P1030257.JPG

P1030258.JPG

P1030259.JPG

P1030247.JPG

P1030248.JPG

I've rode the mountain bike on ice and snow a few times, different alright. Used to do a few spin classes too. Never like the indoor trainer thing though, probably part of what bought on the end.
Got to racing, and after a few seasons of sub-par results, I just imploded. One day, after a 40 mile fun/recovery ride (was the Monday after a late season Crit, remember it like it was yesterday), I went home, took a shower, and never rode my bicycles again.
I actually rode a little last summer for the first time since that day. It was sort of fun, bought back some good memories (but some bad ones too). I'll try again this spring, cycling is very big around here, lot of good people to ride with. Just have to build enough base to do 20 miles through some hills again. That's a hard thought to manage when all rides used to be at least 40 miles, and up to 100 some days.

wow, gotta hand it to you... you go to a lot of work to stay in shape and healthy... and you wanted me to come do some track time with you? :rofl: I get a 2 lap head start.. :laugh:

Raydog, that looks like some great riding conditions. I have taken spin classes in the past, they are fun, but I love the real thing over the classes. :thumbsup:

Raydog, that looks like some great riding conditions. I have taken spin classes in the past, they are fun, but I love the real thing over the classes. :thumbsup:

I agree but the spin stuff I do is not the 24 hr fittness/Gold's gym stuff, it's more like a bunch of Busa owners! I think the screen software stuff is catching on at "serious" bicycle shops and racing organizations around the country, look for it. BTW, there's a big guy like you that rides in our group and he's really getting in super shape! Doyle

I've rode the mountain bike on ice and snow a few times, different alright. Used to do a few spin classes too. Never like the indoor trainer thing though, probably part of what bought on the end.
Got to racing, and after a few seasons of sub-par results, I just imploded. One day, after a 40 mile fun/recovery ride (was the Monday after a late season Crit, remember it like it was yesterday), I went home, took a shower, and never rode my bicycles again.
I actually rode a little last summer for the first time since that day. It was sort of fun, bought back some good memories (but some bad ones too). I'll try again this spring, cycling is very big around here, lot of good people to ride with. Just have to build enough base to do 20 miles through some hills again. That's a hard thought to manage when all rides used to be at least 40 miles, and up to 100 some days.

It sounds like it wouldn't take much to get you back in the saddle, I hope you do it! Remember, technology has advanced so much in the past 5-10 years, it's much more fun now-a-days!. Doyle

It sounds like it wouldn't take much to get you back in the saddle, I hope you do it! Remember, technology has advanced so much in the past 5-10 years, it's much more fun now-a-days!. Doyle

I've still got all my bikes. Sitting peacefully in the spare bedroom. Tires are flat on all but the one I do fool around with sometimes (old Bianchi Volpe light touring bike). Probably going to have to put new tubes in the rest, but otherwise, everything should be ready to go.
I just need to be able to do 20 miles, that's all to start. That's how long the local cycling club's weeknight group rides are. I'll be riding with the people that our pace line used to yell "ON YER LEFT" at, and go by at 25mph.:laugh:

Tomorrow (Saturday) I just signed up to do a half century in that room with the racer guys, they're also 30 years younger than I am, I'm stupid and crazy. Doyle
(it does feel good when its over though)

Back