Uhhhhhh ???

kennym4

Registered
Well, I posted up about a month ago about my battery. It was dead, so I charged it up, it started fine. I rode it around for a while, restarting it a few times, as I stopped at different places. Came home, went inside to open garage, and went out to put it in, and it was dead. So I bought a new one, started up great, went on a ride, started up every time we stopped. 3 days later I went out to ride, and it was dead. I hooked it up to the battery tender, and an hour later it was showing "greater than 80% chare light". It started right up. Went for a little ride. Didn't ride for about 3 weeks, and tried to start it, and it was dead. Hooked it back to the battery tender, and same thing, an hour later the green light came on ?

Any suggestions on what could be wrong ?

-2006 LE 19,000 miles
-full hindle exhaust, Power comander III, K&N air filter, and pair valves blocked
-changed stator cover last summer (could this cause it ??)

Thanks for ANY help !!!

Is there any chance that you damaged the stator or cut/pinched one of the wires when you changed the cover? I would pull the tail and look at the rectifier connector; if that isn't an issue and you haven't blown any fuses, you may want to pull that new cover and see if there is anything going on in there...

No, the only thing I have done is the exhaust & Power Comander, but that was done like 4 years ago. The last thing I did was change the stator cover last summer.

Is there any chance that you damaged the stator or cut/pinched one of the wires when you changed the cover? I would pull the tail and look at the rectifier connector; if that isn't an issue and you haven't blown any fuses, you may want to pull that new cover and see if there is anything going on in there...

So, the stator could cause this, my brother was saying he thinks it's my rectifier. Is there a way to check it ?

You can can load check the rectifier by having the bike running and checking the voltage on the battery. I cant remember what it should read, something like 14.5 volts at 5k rpm. A minimum of 13v at idle, might be 12.5.

Download the sevice manual.

test.jpg

Oh Boy, wish I had a clue on how to do this kinda stuff, I'd probably end up frying every electric coponent in the bike, LoL !!

Thanks guys !!

If nothing else, leave the bike hooked up to the battery tender. You may have weakened / damaged the battery by letting the bike sit for extended periods of time. You can take the battery to any parts place and have it tested.

I think you need to do a drain test myself. I don't think you would get around with riding around and cranking, and cranking the bike, running the headlight, electronics, etc. if there was a stator issue. Also you did this work a year ago. It is possible that you pinched or damaged the stator wiring but I would look elsewhere.

Back