UH OH!  Overheating?

Darkeyce

Registered
Ok...So, i've had my '02 for 9500 miles...never had any overheating problems. All of a sudden the temp gauge is all over the place. I do a lot of traffic, but I've ALWAYS done this, nothing has changed in my riding patterns. I thought it might be coolant that needed to bee replaced...so i did that...put in engine ice. Now it seems worse!. the temp will rise dramatically in the span of a few minutes...i'lll move forward a few feet and it will drop again...then it willstart to rise again...when im moving it is about where it should be. and yess the fan is running when it should.

Really need some help here guiys.. what should i look at?

I had a prob with heating last year but seems different than yours. My guage would go through the roof ( I freaked ) so I shut down went to eat came back allmost an hr later started right up then bam red hot! The engine however didnt feel hot and fan wouldnt allways come on simply when guage said red. I changed coolant and same deal. Then I changed temp sending switch ( on the radiator left side of busa ) and no probs since. - Kent

I had a prob with heating last year but seems different than yours. My guage would go through the roof ( I freaked ) so I shut down went to eat came back allmost an hr later started right up then bam red hot! The engine however didnt feel hot and fan wouldnt allways come on simply when guage said red. I changed coolant and same deal. Then I changed temp sending switch ( on the radiator left side of busa ) and no probs since. - Kent
exactly....dont worry man...if nuthin' has changed (ridin' habits,no coolant loss,fan kicks in,etc etc ) you've got a sending unit prob...or perhaps a temp guage prob...but most likely not a MELTDOWN prob .

Rubberside down is correct.........
before you do anything check all hoses, caps, fuses, etc... keep it simple...if this fails move on.
1. check thermostat........... (string/boiling water test) your looking for what temp it opens and how much it opens.
2. check engine coolant tempature sensor (ohm meter, hot oil test).
3. Bad waterpump...........
Just my two cents................................Ks

Hey KS,

What is the hot oil and Ohm meter test? It sounds like something off the menu at a the local S&M club.

Seriously, what is it? How do you do it?

Thanks.

I agree with those potential remedies.

If your engine starts making wild and drastic changes "all of the sudden," something has gone wrong or is broken.

While I'm glad you chose Engine Ice, it doesn't seem as if that would help because something else is going on.

Save the Engine Ice you drain out in a clean container, go through all the items listed above and put it back in.

Good luck.

Sierra Flyer, sorry took so long to respond I missed reading this post the last few days. I'm at work right now but as soon as I get home I'll post everything you need to do/know.................Ks

Make sure you burbed that radiator very well!!! The Busa is notorious for have air pockets in the radiator. What I do is top it off, let it sit, top it off, let it sit... then when it will not take any more, I lean it over as far as possible on each side (you may be suprised when you do this). top it off again and again... then I fire it up with the cap off and lean it over on each side again... top it off, cap it, ride it!

Good luck!

To test the engine coolant temp sensor, you need a small pan, thermometer, oil, and a ohmmeter. Simply suspend the removed unit in a pot of motoroil (small pan). Electrical plug-in side goes up, temp sensor tip placed in oil covering approx. half of the unit. Now place a cooking thermometer in pan to monitor temp. and use your kitchen stove to heat the oil slowly (key word here is slowly). Connect the ohmmeter to the coolant temp sensor and begin monitoring resistance in kilo-ohms (taking note of the temp/resistance reading).
Results should be very close to the following (if not, replace engine coolant temp sensor).
68 degrees F should be around 2.45 k/ohms
112 degrees F should be around .811 k/ohms
176 degrees F should be around .316 k/ohms
230 degrees F should be around .142 k/ohms
266 degrees F should be around .088 k/ohms

Thanks much. I have been away too and just got your reply. I'll keep this one on file for then my temp sensor takes a dive.

Flying Swan, this is the post I was talking about.......... I use Engine Ice in my bike and I love it. Check some of the items posted here and it should lead you to your problem..........Ks

Back