Ugly rear plate, any idead's?? what are the laws??

TorontoBusa

Donating Member
Registered
There is no good place for the rear plate (unless in the garbage!!)

I'm from Ontario, but would assume the plate laws are fairly universal.

I know the numbers must be visable & the plate sticker. But how visable?? A friend of mine put the plate in front of the rear tire, so standing at a certain angle you could read it, from behind, only half. The cops gave him already a couple of tickets, so he put it back.

Any idea's on how to mount the plate??

Currently, my fender is cut very short, and I plan to drill the plate directly to the black plastic, and curve it with the fener. I also capped the plate it flat black door trim, blends in, and reduce's the overall size of the plate.

i drilled 2 holes in the center of my plate and mounted it to the rear fender that is cut short.

Our laws state that the plate cannot be altered in any way and must be clearly visible from the rear of the bike. Personally, I think I'm going to get one of those covers that obscures the plate if not looked at from directly behind.. Hopefully that'll foil the darn photo radar..
wink.gif

I had my fender cut short too and attached the plate to the remaining portion. So far, no tickets (knock on wood). I will be installing a fender eliminator shortly and that will surely hide the plate even more. Would be interesting to know how our OPP would react to that. BTW, where are you in Toronto? I am d/t TO. Cheers.
Jun

here is a pic of my plate .. the 2 tabs are where i drilled it and the fender is shorter now.

<!--EDIT|BLU88
Reason for Edit: None given...|1081632649 -->

Our laws state that the plate cannot be altered in any way and must be clearly visible from the rear of the bike. Personally, I think I'm going to get one of those covers that obscures the plate if not looked at from directly behind.. Hopefully that'll foil the darn photo radar..
wink.gif
He doesn't give a rat's ass about photo radar, it was abolished in Ontario several years ago.

Saw in my internet surfing recently that there is a motorcycle kit that is electronic that covers the license plate. At the flip of a switch, it completly blacks out the license plate with graphics... I can find it if you are interested, if not, I am not going to waste my time...
smile.gif

Cloud

Our laws state that the plate cannot be altered in any way and must be clearly visible from the rear of the bike.  Personally, I think I'm going to get one of those covers that obscures the plate if not looked at from directly behind.. Hopefully that'll foil the darn photo radar..
wink.gif
He doesn't give a rat's ass about photo radar, it was abolished in Ontario several years ago.
They're (Queens Park) is trying to bring it back - revenue generator :finger, here in Ontario anyhow.

A quick link to an article;
http://www.thestar.com/NASApp....8213174

How do you plead a case to a machine?

Our laws state that the plate cannot be altered in any way and must be clearly visible from the rear of the bike.  Personally, I think I'm going to get one of those covers that obscures the plate if not looked at from directly behind.. Hopefully that'll foil the darn photo radar..
wink.gif
He may not, but I sure as heck do!! BTW, the liberal sob just got in there.. he'll care shortly since it's prolly coming back.. the NDP put it in, the PC's took it out, the Liberals will reinstate.. Personally, I HATE it!! nothing but a cash grab.

One good thing about photo radar.

NO POINTS!!

Imagine that, you get in the mail 300 KM/H and no points, just a huge killer bill.

Something I have seen down here was with the Rear fender fully trimmed away, he had the plate mounted up ahead of the rear tire. It was actually plenty visible from the rear of the bike, and if you added an LED license plate light it would prolly work really well, be nice and clean, and not ass up the lines of the Busa.

There are at least 2 different web sites where I have seen side mounts for plates--chopper style. They mount the plate vertically after you have used the fender eliminator.

I looked @ BLU88's pic, and did a similar mount. Removed the factory mount. trimmed the plate in flat black door trim, shoved it under the tail light as far as it goes, pushed it on, so it bent a bit to follow the curve of the fender and drilled two hole's in the fender where the plate holes are (was going to drill the plate, but thought some cop may be a prick and nail me for it)

Anyway, looks way better!!
cool.gif

I un bolted the factory metal mount and bolted it to a 4 inch steel L bracket with holes then I bolted the L bracket to my back foot peg. Cost me $1.29 cheapest mod I ever did.

post_11_36458_busa4_1_.jpg

Back