Ughh another flat.... Frustrating

I been reading up on the mushroom plugs and many people said they have a high rate of failure in motorcycle tires due to the construction and use of metal cords. I think 95% of users recommended using regular worm style plugs as opposed to the mushroom on the ADV motorcycle forum. Not sure... No experience here just what I read.

This is the type of kit I‘ve used. I carry a kit in each bike with six cartridges. That will be enough to get me to an air station. Some carry a small compressor.

YES!

this kind of repair i already did twice
once at my busa 4 years ago
and second 2 weeks ago at my audi a6 tire 245/40/18

both with 100% full success! :thumbsup:

Last tour a week ago, we had two nails in the same tire, plugged many many tires on tours, but first time we've had two at same time.

Plugged it with a mushroom plug and on our merry way.

View attachment 1621760

View attachment 1621761

View attachment 1621762

View attachment 1621763
I’m with Tim. I bought a kit from him years ago and has saved me several times from being stranded on the side of the road. I run them until the tires are done and then replace. @Slowstang305 if you are too worried about running them patched/plugged, just throw them away in my garbage can here in Tampa Ill take care of the rest. Lol

Was not aware these kits had evolved so much!
Just ordered the pocket version of this:
View attachment 1621774
$40. Instead of the gun, there's a smaller plunger device actuated by an included allen wrench
Walmart, cuz Amazon couldn't get it to me until August, which explains the price diff.

I told you guys this forum was worth the membership fees!!
They are awesome. I have one on each bike, so I don’t go out and get a flat just to find out that my kit was under the seat on the bike I left at home. I also carry a slime mini air compressor.

I been reading up on the mushroom plugs and many people said they have a high rate of failure in motorcycle tires due to the construction and use of metal cords. I think 95% of users recommended using regular worm style plugs as opposed to the mushroom on the ADV motorcycle forum. Not sure... No experience here just what I read.
We’ve always used the worm style plugs

I’m with Tim. I bought a kit from him years ago and has saved me several times from being stranded on the side of the road. I run them until the tires are done and then replace. @Slowstang305 if you are too worried about running them patched/plugged, just throw them away in my garbage can here in Tampa Ill take care of the rest. Lol
This!!! Lol I used to do the same a few guys would change to a new tire and I’d take theirs plug or patch it and finish it off, to the point that they started plugging their once they saw how much use I was getting from their old tires

This is a bit of a threadjack but ...
...the Michelin Power RS seems to be on national backorder
I had ordered (and paid for) a Road 5 for the back and the RS for the front at the same time thru RevZilla.
The rear arrived early last week. They just canceled the outstanding order for the RS. So I shopped around and apparently nobody has one in stock.
I went with another Road 5 for the front
FYI

I'm going to guess I've patched at least 100+ tires while leading tours over the last 17 years. We've had a flat on both tours we've done so far this season, and I posted pics of the tire last month that had two nails in it at the same time. First time I've used the Gun but you really don't need that.
The $30 kit from Stop n Go is what we've used exclusively for the last nearly 20 years.
I'm a big fan of the mushroom plugs because we've had a 100% success rate with them. Yeah, you read that right, 100%. 100 flat tires, 100 fixed tires, 100% they work.

The worms they work MOST of the time and IMO are a wee bit of a pain in the ass as when we use them, we HOPE they will work. My guy who had the flat in March was on a GS, we used the worms first, couldn't get a good seal. Kept leaking. So we pushed the worm into the tire and I plugged it with a mushroom plug. 10 minutes and done.
stop_go_kit.jpg

DSC_0326.jpg

Img_1004-2.jpeg

Img_1638_800.jpg

Speaking of flats, I’ve never had a front tire go flat. However, in the 70s I did see a Kawasaki 750 triple with one sitting in the freeway divider left of the fast lane. Now, they didn’t handle worth a damn even in a straight line. Imagine having a front tire go down, in the fast lane on a 2 stroke 750 triple. :crazy:

Speaking of flats, I’ve never had a front tire go flat. However, in the 70s I did see a Kawasaki 750 triple with one sitting in the freeway divider left of the fast lane. Now, they didn’t handle worth a damn even in a straight line. Imagine having a front tire go down, in the fast lane on a 2 stroke 750 triple. :crazy:
That is a miracle the rider escaped with his life and the bike was not reduced to a pile of Japcrap scrap metal !!
I've never had a flat tyre on a road bike but once I was with a guy who had his g/f on the back of his 86 GSXR1100 and the front tyre went flat at 110mph, he kept it pinned and reduced speed very slowly, abd then continued on until he got home (30 miles!)
He reckoned it was not too bad to ride on in a straight line, got a bit hairy on the corners but his plump g/f alleviated the weight on the front end and he kept the power on as much as possible.
It was a sight to see !

All my flats have been in the rear tire too ( Knock on wood) on the big bikes, but I’ve been spoiled by the concours14 and busa (aftermarket) TPMS system and one day jumped on the DR650 and front got wobbly after exiting a curve. Come to find out, I never checked the pressure and it was low from sitting for about 2 months, so the tire moved on the bead, pulled the tube and ripped the valve steam (damn tubed tires). I learned my lesson after that. It does amaze me how much faster tubed tires lose air compared to tubeless.

Never had a flat on a motorcycle...

That’s some good luck! I found the rear flat on the Busa one morning in my garage. That was also some good luck. It was so low I had to air it up before my stand could reach the spools. Looking at my 79 CBX waiting for a seat to be made at the Corbin shop in Hollister some years back I noticed the rear had a nail in it. It was still sticking out about a half inch so I had to have picked it up, maybe in their driveway! Also lucky. My kit sure came in handy there and they helped with their air compressor. I still can only imagine the ‘ride’ that 750 rider must have had before he pulled over. The bike looked fine except for the front tire hanging away from the rim. When my CBX rear went flat I was setting up for a 70 mph up hill right hander about 70 miles SW of Atomic City in central WA. As I leaned, the bike really wobbled but the tire stayed tight on that Comstar wheel. Can’t imagine what I ran over. The hole was almost big enough to stick my little finger in, and perfectly round. The air loss was FAST!:D

Back