tyre pressure

vicxx11

Registered
Good morning!!!I want to ask you what tyre pressure to use at the drag strip using a street tyre e.x BRIDGTESTONE BT56J or BT14 or the METZELER M3??I am running in a class which permits n/a mods,lowering and no wheelie bar,my busa is 188hp at the back wheel and i use 16/41 sprockets,thanks!!!!1
race.gif

(vicxx11 @ Apr. 12 2007,03:57) Good morning!!!I want to ask you what tyre pressure to use at the drag strip using a street tyre e.x BRIDGTESTONE BT56J or BT14 or the METZELER M3??I am running in a class which permits n/a mods,lowering and no wheelie bar,my busa is 188hp at the back wheel and i use 16/41 sprockets,thanks!!!!1
race.gif
When I run my Michelin Pilot Power street tire, I have to drop the pressure to about 15-17lbs. As low as 12 if the track conditions are bad. I’d suggest starting at 15, if it spins drop it a couple of pounds until it stops. If it hooks good with 15 start raising it one pound each pass. Until it spins a bit, and then back it down 2. Every track is going to be different.

If the rules will allow it, I’d suggest getting another wheel and mounting a 180 Shinko, MT shootout tire, or a Michelin Pilot Race scuff take off.

(Professor @ Apr. 12 2007,04:40) [
When I run my Michelin Pilot Power street tire, I have to drop the pressure to about 15-17lbs. As low as 12 if the track conditions are bad.  I’d suggest starting at 15, if it spins drop it a couple of pounds until it stops.  If it hooks good with 15 start raising it one pound each pass. Until it spins a bit, and then back it down 2. Every track is going to be different.  

If the rules will allow it, I’d suggest getting another wheel and mounting a 180 Shinko, MT shootout tire, or a Michelin Pilot Race scuff take off.

Thanks a lot!!Do you know where can i find the 180 shinko.MT you mean mickey thompson??[/Quote]
[[/quote]
When I run my Michelin Pilot Power street tire, I have to drop the pressure to about 15-17lbs. As low as 12 if the track conditions are bad. I’d suggest starting at 15, if it spins drop it a couple of pounds until it stops. If it hooks good with 15 start raising it one pound each pass. Until it spins a bit, and then back it down 2. Every track is going to be different.

Thanks a lot!!Do you know where can i find the 180 shinko.MT you mean mickey thompson??

(vicxx11 @ Apr. 13 2007,08:40) Thanks a lot!!Do you know where can i find the 180 shinko.MT you mean mickey thompson??
Yes, the Mickey Thompson shootout tire. Part Number 3285. It is lighter and stickier than the Shinko but will not last as long. I get about 50 passes out of the Mickey.

The Shinko 003 "ultra soft" is the one I am refering to.
The most common is a 190 or 200 width. The 180 will put more rubber to the ground on a Busa wheel. The ultra soft compound is very important.

I'm not sure about your area, I know board sponsors Street and Track and Cloud 9 both are Shinko dealers and should have them.

You should be able to start with a pressure around 25lbs. If you spin, drop a couple pounds.

I always start with 25lbs. Most of the time thats a good numbere to stay with. I run Pilot Powers.

You want as much air as possible in the tire without losing traction. Not enough air is not a good thing.

I ran 20-25 psi depending on track conditions with a stock BT56.  Was able to drive it home 20 miles after test and tune without  getting air.  You may go lower as suggested...just pump it up if driving home. AS also suggested a spare wheel with drag tire ...is the best solution..will help your launch a bunch. It's all in the 60' with a Busa

Back