Tyre choice

retrogeordy

Registered
I have just got a 2001 Busa and want to change the tyres, I ride quite hard so grip is very important. I have been told the the Busa has special tyres and you can not put anyones on ! Is rhe true ? It currently has BT56 which I hate, please help.

I am an Avon Storm fan. They take a little more time to heat up, but once they are they do me very well on the street, with better than average tread life.

I like the Avon's too, that is what is currently on my bike, they did very well in Eureka this year. Before that, I had BT-021's, they did great, but the front was gone in less than 1k miles. Never tried PP or CT2's.

I'm running Shinko 005 advance and I run them real hard here in germany and they are great on corning and they heat up fast. I have rode them in the rain and they stick great in the rain also. Just read the reviews on the tires.

Just bought an AV56 for mine. Have been running the Michelin PP 2CTs previously.

I have BT-016 at this moment. I did over 4500 km and it looks like I still have another 5000 km to go on the rear - front easily 7000 km. They are not very good for the track, Busa is little too heavy, but you still will have lots of fun.
As far as tires go, everything depends how you ride. I had BT-056 and had to replace it after 1500 km, same with Corsa. It was getting expensive, so I decided to back off a little. Now full set lasts me around 10000km (2-3 months).

I'm running the Shinko 005 Advance also. Only have a little over 400 mile on them right now so I don't know about longevity, but they corner very well.

I hate the stock Battleaxes too, and always remove them before break in is done. Took them off the Busa at 400 mile and discarded. I used to be die hard Dunlop, but grew out of that when the qualifiers came out...didn't seem to last as long. I went to Mich and now run the 2CT's and have really liked them so far.

I now keep an extra set of the ol Battleaxes around on extra wheels to burn off on the straight tracks (wouldn't use them for the track days though, use stickies). That being the case, mostly using my Pilots for road use I've gotten really good mileage out of them. Needing tires now, but looking close to 4000 miles.

That being said, my buddy who has all the good sets of stickies loves the stock battleaxes. Guess it's all in preference and how they have reacted in the past.

I have just got a 2001 Busa and want to change the tyres, I ride quite hard so grip is very important. I have been told the the Busa has special tyres and you can not put anyones on ! Is rhe true ? It currently has BT56 which I hate, please help.

Yeah, I think the original's had 10 ply sidewalls for heavy towing. :laugh:

J/K

To answer your question and not just tell you what I have......The Busa and several other bikes come from the factory stock with what seems to be a slightly different tire than what is available in the after market. I'm not sure exactly what the difference is but the stock tires can be slightly different. Could be a slight difference in size due to different wheels but more than likely it a little different side wall or something that exactly matches weight of the bike to the tire and it's intended purpose on that bike. The tires may look the same and have the same model numbers on them but I'll bet the dealer, if they're any good, may be able to look up and order an OEM tire that could have a slightly different part number. That being said, I personally have never gone through all that trouble and don't think it's necessary because IMHO the differences if any are slight. A good quality tire is going to hold my Busa on the road just fine. By the way, I'm running the BT 016's now. Hope this clears things up a little for you.:beerchug:

Michelin HPX......built for Superbikes....feel good. Much better than BT056J's. :oldcool:

Michelin HPX......built for Superbikes....feel good. Much better than BT056J's. :oldcool:

How are those going for you. I choose the road 2's because I got very little feedback about the HPX's from other members here.

Are the wearing well? How sporty are they?

The BT016 J is a very good tire for aggressive riding. BA Busa has run them on the track and says they get to soft on the Busa. I run them on the street, and they are wearing good for about 2000 miles. The grip is far more than you will need on the street, unless you're doing "going to jail" speeds in the corners.

:beerchug:

Pilot Road 2's you will get awesome wear out of them and they are really grippy for a touring tire. 2 compound technology rules.

Back