TwoBrothersBusa Engine Mount Picture on my low sided GSXR 1K - need help!

Twobrothersbusa

Team Gixxer Racing; IDMBT #1
Donating Member
Registered
Need a little help here to get her back to rights before Tally next weekend. This is the front right upper mount on my GSXR after the frame slider snapped off when it hit dirt. I really can't tell what it is supposed to look like or even if the bolt that held the frame slider is even required for engine support.

The gap in this pic is what concerns me.

7b5b852c-d07a-4d42-9bf8-5f4b6c7c3ab0_zps3cbedbaf.jpg

Here is the stripped hole looking straight in where the frame slider bolt goes. I can pull the other side to get the thread / pitch and retap this side, but I'm not sure about the mount as shown in the pic above.

20130331_201629_zpsf3a5c64d.jpg

I may have figured this out now looking at the parts online. That bushing in the frame is listed as a spacer. I'm going to need to get an EZ-out as what I think I'm looking at is what is left of the frame slider bolt still threaded into the block.

Does that sound right?

If I thread up a new bolt I'm guessing it should draw that gap back down to basically zero?

I 100% agree with your thinking. And I would definitely say that is what's left of the slider bolt

The slider bolt did exactly what it was supposed to do - break - instead of breaking the frame or the engine. Looks like you need to easy out the remainder of the bolt and you'll be good. Did you get the pics I texted you? same same, but no gap....

Put new tires on so my bike is mechanically ready if you need it.

I looked in the manual, and saw the bolt and the spacer. As far as the gap...I would assume there would have to be some space so the ending would drop in and out - but - Given the other bolts would still be tight, I too wonder about having that much space with just one bolt missing....I thing you ought to have Tuf look at this thread and tell you what he thinks. Hopefully replacing and tightening the bolt will take up the gap....

Thanks to Team Gixxer for sure...man down and have two bikes on standby if I can't get my steed right by the weekend. Thanks guys. I'll get an ez out tomorrow and see how it goes from there.

I'll end up jury rigging the plastics till I can get them fixed proper after Tally.

Thanks to Team Gixxer for sure...man down and have two bikes on standby if I can't get my steed right by the weekend. Thanks guys. I'll get an ez out tomorrow and see how it goes from there.

I'll end up jury rigging the plastics till I can get them fixed proper after Tally.

Jay's got a spare set of plastics :)

Charlie, What the hell did you do? Did you buy the super long sliders? ??? Slider bolts often bend but rarely break. You have only one option as I see it, drill and EZout. Getting a hole drilled in the center of the bolt is the biggest challenge. The good part is the bolt is good size. If it were mine I would seriously consider removing the engine to make the chore a bit easier and less apt to make a boo boo. Just be happy you didn't have an 8 grade bolt in that slider or you may have been searching for a new frame and crankcase.

As far as the space between the motor mount and engine case, no worries. There has to be some space there for engine install and the spacer moves back and forth to take up the slack when you torque to bolt. No worries.

If you pay for my plane ticket I'll fix that puppy for you while you are busy earning a living :-)

I use the stubby sliders just for this reason. I've been through all this stuff on a number of occasions and I learned that plastic is usually the cheapest fix. No matter what sliders you have the plastics are usually not going to fare all that well anyway. Sliders are great for falling off the kickstand. I know a lot of race guys who don't use sliders at all due to the hazards you are going though now.

Crashin Sucks!

I've probably got that bolt in my parts box charlie where I replaced it with my (stubby) sliders...

I do put electrical tape on the slider that screws into the bracket. They'll spin right off if you don't...says the voice of experience.

Back