two questions

BusaHaya402

Registered
whats the deal with that rear bar, right behind passenger seat? i think i know how to take it off, but whats it there for? also, does the hump fit on with the rear bar on?

about the mudflap (sorry i know theres a lot of subjects on the topic) what is the best way to shorten it up a bit, i tried razor blade, xacto knife, and another type of blade, its too thick of plastic, im about to take a hacksaw to it.........sorry for the stupid questions, thanks........

LOL...so many questions, young Padwan...

The rear bar is called the grab bar. I don't know exactly the use of it, but I think the primary use is for passengers to hang on to while they are riding.

The hump will not fit with the grab bar on, but you can notch your hump so that both will fit at the same time. You can use a dremel to accomplish the task.

Same thing with the mudflap. Don't risk cutting a chunk of yourself out with the X-Acto blade or razor. Use the dremel to accomplish the deed. Just trace out a small line and work the dremel slowly and steadily.

Lemme see if I can scare up some pics of the hump mod.
cool.gif

lemme know when you need the walk-through....and I'll take ya through it nice and simple-like.
wink.gif

Pacific, you cut your hump but not your mudflap? GET RID OF THAT DARN THING!
poke.gif

The grab bar is for when someone is on the back & your braking. That's when they grab it to keep their weight off of you. It helps incrediably! Trust me, the sooner you teach your girl to to grab that bar, the sooner your twins will be thanking you!
tounge.gif

I took off the grab bar the same day i got the bike... Funny tough i was under the impression that the hump and the bar could be installed together with no problem... Seems i remember wrong
biggrin.gif

For the mud flap, i kept the same shape but shortened it a few inches. I took a hacksaw to cut a straight line, then i smoothed and did the curves on each side using a Dremel and some fine sandpaper. I'll post some pics when i get home...

I'm still trying to figure out why the hell you need the grab bar and the hump on at the same time.....oh well, to each his own, I guess.

The grab bar is for when someone is on the back & your braking. That's when they grab it to keep their weight off of you. It helps incrediably! Trust me, the sooner you teach your girl to to grab that bar, the sooner your twins will be thanking you!
tounge.gif
holy #### ! my twins are thankin you right now ! the boys have been takin a beatin over the past 5000 miles !
beerchug.gif

I'm still trying to figure out why the hell you need the grab bar and the hump on at the same time.....oh well, to each his own, I guess.
I think the point is how time consuming it is to get the 12mm wrench out, pop out the four bolts, find the two caps, bolt them back down again and put the hump on. Then reverse the process when you want to put the bar back on for the ol'lady. This way you can swap the seat and hump and go.

I don't consider it all that time consuming but my ol'lady doesn't ride on the back so the hump stays on unless I'm touring.

Carl

You're not the only one thinking that. Too me it ruins the clean looks and makes no sense, the sole purpose of the hump is for stream lining and doing away with turbulence during high speed runs.
Yeah Yeah...most owners rarely if ever top out their bikes and it does serve a purpose when using the seat, but when combined with the hump it's the equivalent of hacking a ricer wing on the back of a Ferrari Enzo.
But as you said, to each his own.

the easiest way I found out to " shorten " the mudflap is by using a .. " Diegrinder " thats if you have .. or "know' someone that has airtoolz ( take off the lic'plate .. scetchout what line you want to "follow " ( use a Sharpie)... n "cut away " ..( also scribe out the line ur following with a "lite touch" ..of the diegrinder .. then go back n cut deeper with each ..succseeding pass ) ..
wink.gif
if not try a.. " Dremel "

One thing I did to help keep the line smooth was to take an old windshield wiper blade and pull the thin strip of metal out the side. Then I held it up to where I wanted it and taped it to the sides about an inch under the turn sigs and made sure it was even all the way around. Made a good smooth surface to trace with the sharpie and I thought it flowed with the lines pretty good too. Then just dremel'ed and cleaned it up with a file.

Back