Two Busa Idiots Riding in the Cold

warbrown

Bald and Busafied
Donating Member
Registered
I got a call Saturday morning at 10:00 from Paul (UUBusa) who was patiently waiting for me at the Sheetz Gas Station in Winchester.  I had tried to cancel the scheduled ride due to the cold and rain, but Paul didn't get the word in time.  I had assumed nobody else had Busa fever as bad as me to even attempt such a stunt, but I was very wrong.  Paul is one sick puppy.  
biggrin.gif

So, one of my non-busa riding buddies and I scrambled to get our gear and meet Paul in the Balmy 40 degree weather.  The three of us made a quick stop by Shenandoah Honda to pick up some additional layers (neck warmer & better gloves), then headed on our way.  Only a few miles into the trip, the drizzle started.  Soon we we hit the mountains and blazed our way through the thick fog once we hit cloud elevation.  By the time we got to Romney WV, we realized this trip might not have been one of the smarter moves we've ever made.  

Luckily, the rain or snow never materialized as it could have, and the worst of the conditions was the persistent, bone-chilling wet cold that would never leave us.  Occasional road spray and drizzle problems hampered visibility and traction, but we took it easy.  Sort of.   At each town we rolled into, I looked for the bank time and temperature signs, and they all said 40 degrees.  No too bad until you factor in the wind chill at 60 mph which comes out to 25 degrees.  

Despite the numb fingers and sore muscles from being tensed up and shivering for 8 hours, we had a great time.  Even under the most miserable of conditions, the scenery was still spectacular.  I can't wait until it's sunny and green.  The roads are a great mix of elevation changes, straightaways, gentle predictable twisties, and tight mountain twisties.  Unfortunately we hit the thickest fog of the trip while crossing the mountains south of Seneca Rocks, and we missed some of the best panoramic views  available.  We could barely see the road edges, or oncoming cars for that matter.  Many sections of the ride parallel rivers and streams through the valleys, with a nice potpouri of farms, mountains, rock formations, and quaint little towns.  

Here's a few pictures of us freezing our b*lls off yesterday.  Did I mentions we're idiots?

www.warrenbrown.com images missing

For anyone planning on the Virginia area ride on May 7th, I posted this little adventure as well as a link the detailed itenerary on that

Having done a couple thousand miles in similar weather on my recent trip to the Southwest, may I recommend getting some Gerbing heated clothing. Riding in weather like that (especially if it DOES rain) is bad enough without also shivering and otherwise lamenting how miserable you are. I just have the heated jacket and gloves, and it makes a *HUGE* difference. In fact, you can easily turn otherwise unrideably cold days into normal riding conditions.

I have had the itch all winter long in PA. Been out riding in 14 degree weather as long as there is no snow. Fun times, but the tire loves to break loose when it is that cold.

Also, where did you get that back rest from?

Having done a couple thousand miles in similar weather on my recent trip to the Southwest, may I recommend getting some Gerbing heated clothing.  Riding in weather like that (especially if it DOES rain) is bad enough without also shivering and otherwise lamenting how miserable you are.  I just have the heated jacket and gloves, and it makes a *HUGE* difference.   In fact, you can easily turn otherwise unrideably cold days into normal riding conditions.
What fun is that? Actually, I wish that stuff was around years ago when I did a lot of cold weather riding. I've become a little more judicious as I've gotten older and don't ride nearly as much in the cold stuff. For the occasional ride such as this one, I get by fine with the normal cold weather gear. I wouldn't mind checking out a pair of those gloves though...

I have had the itch all winter long in PA.  Been out riding in 14 degree weather as long as there is no snow.  Fun times, but the tire loves to break loose when it is that cold.  

Also, where did you get that back rest from?
Just got the complete package from Corbin. (front, rear, and backrest) This was my first trip on the new saddle, and I was very pleased. It sits a little lower, fits my big arse better, and is firmer than the stock. Somehow, the firmer feels better during the ride, as well as in no post-ride discomfort. I have yet to get the wife on the back with the new saddle, but I'm sure she'll be much happier.

the weather may have sucked but it still sounds like you had a good time.
cool.gif
Nice pictures.
cool.gif

cool.gif

Hey guys, the only reason it was silly is because you don't have to be miserably cold when you ride in the winter. You can't possibly pile on enough layers to be warm when it's cold without electric heat, and if you do, you'll still be cold and too bulked up to operate the bike properly and un-comfortable. I'm too new to give you a link, but "Gerbing" makes heated jacket liners to put under your fav riding jacket, it takes the place of your liner. Out with the old liner and in with heated one. They have heated outer jackets, heated gloves, heated pants and socks they all hook together and controlled by a thermostat you can adjust while riding. You have to stop the wind from robbing your heat. (Gortex or similar technology) It takes a long time to build up heat, then the wind gets through and takes it away instantly. I ride all year round. With long johns, (the shirt a turtle neck) Gortex blue jeans or riding pants, my Gerbing jacket liner and Cortech armored jacket, and Gortex gloves, I am toasty warm, windproof, waterproof and comfortable. I only have the jacket liner! I will buy the gloves. Dressed like mentioned above and JUST the heated jacket liner, I can ride all day at highway speeds down to 25 degrees. Believe it. Gerbing is a godsend and I feel a little silly for doing it wrong for 30 years.
You don't have to be cold. You will get funny looks from people thinking you are crazy, but those that know, see that your plugged in , and then the are envious. (well they are already because you have a BUSA) Hope this helps!
Mike

Taichi makes a windstopper suit that works quite well for clold weather riding. It allows you to wear about half the cloths you would normally wear. The suit is very thin and designed to go under their perforated race suits for cool days. I found it to be a great asset on chilly street riding days. Many moderated days I find just the suit over a T shirt and a leather jacket is all I need.

Check it out if you are interested at "dmotoinc.com" You can see all the cool Taichi gear. I bought a full leather suit from them for this season of fun and games on the track. I am quite tall and it's hard to find leather that fits. Their suit fits the best of any I have tried.

I was going to say it didn't look that cold when I saw the pics, but then I saw you guys in all the gear and realized it had to be cold. I might have been tempted, but don't know if I would gone for that ride. I don't mind too much cold, but with that wind chill it would have really been tough. My hats off to you guys for getting out in it!

Glad to see tat there are others with Busa fever. Since I bought this bike the temps I'll ride in have dropped considerably. Thanks for the great pics.

hows that gun-metal gray color on that Busa look in person.

I'm always searching for a different color, I think I like that color...

anythings better than pumkin...

hav a well rounded 1... unless its a pumpkin... RSD.

Back