Twin Vs. Single Exhaust

buda315

Registered
I am a traditional harley guy, so yes the sound of a bike does mean a lot to me. I know you can't make sport bikes sound like air cooled v-twins...you have to admit a delight for the ears.

What are the pros and cons of running one vs. two cans to the rear. I have always understood that 4 into 1 is better for top end performance or possibly all around performance.

I really have no experience with sport bikes as far as riding, listening to different set-ups, or modifying exhaust, etc...

I am on the verge of buying a busa and would like to know which exhaust mod would suit me. The busa has more than enough power compared to what I am used to, so that is not a factor.

I want as deep and throaty of a sound as I can get. It does not have to be loud in the traditional straight pipe harley way, but just as close to a blub blub sound as possible.

If someone could explain the general difference in sound quality of two vs one can I would really appreciate it.

I recently road a stock '05 R1, and was quite impressed with the twin undertail exhaust. Sounded exotic.

In general , a single full system exhaust will be louder. Yosh RS-3 full system like I got is the one to go with if you want a nice low grumble as well as a screaming top end.

Thanks Bent Valve,

I remember reading an article somewhere along the line, that complimented the stock dual canisters resonating sounds sometimes in unison, sometimes opposed, making for "..a cool sound." I have never heard a stock busa before. I road one with yosh slip ons, but I really did not focus on the sound. I was too into the experience of switching to one of the ultimate sportbikes.

Please keep the info/opinions comming.

May check out HMF if you like the dual look and aren't that worried about 4 into 1 weight savings. Deep, throaty sound and high quality. Look at the Solomoto parts banner on home page, they will flash by....good hp gain also, like the king needs more power...
tounge.gif

I am not so sure that even the dual HMFs would be that much if at all louder than a single Yosh.

The benefit of the stock pipes is you can hear the engine and intake noise better which is a good thing...I sometimes
miss the stock set-up.

I just installed a BDE Gen3 StreetSmart full and lemme tell ya, it's louder than stock but still not "harley loud" of course. It has a MUCH MORE THROATY AND PISSED OFF SOUND especially for a Busa. It grabs attention. Not to mention you gain at least 10-15 extra ponies if used with a PCIIIUSB and Brocks Maps and airbox mod.

BDE also has a Sidewinder system where the exhaust resides under your right footpeg. It's meant for dragracing and I hear that sucker is loud!! The street megaphone setup is louder than the streetsmart series too.

You might wanna look at the Muzzys as well. They have a nice exhaust note that's definitely meaty.

+1 for the HMFs. They have a nice, deep rumble to them. Not V-Twin like, but definitely more of a blub blub sound than the stock cans. They just sound mean, especially at idle. Mean is about the best description I can come up with for the sound.

If you want a louder than Harley sound, just cut off your stock exhaust before the cans. You think H-D's are loud?

It looks like I have my work cut out for me... and I just mastered the harley thing in terms of likes, dislikes, differences between mods and accessories, now onto sport bikes.  I can only imagine the combinations of acc. that exist.  Out comes the wallet. Oh boy
devil.gif
smile.gif

If you want a sound like a Harley, just cut off the midipipes after they emerge from the wing(that little fairing underneath the bike next to the rear tire).  Thrasherfox did this and it is LOUD!!  PM him for details.

AS far as sound between single and dual, not much difference.  Difference is the baffling not the number of exits.

Pros for single sided exhaust;
1)Lighter than dual exhaust, one can instead of two.
2)Easier chain maintenance, there isn't a can in your way.
3)Generally cheaper, one can instead of two.

Of course, chopping the midpipe is also cheaper, lighter, and just as easy in chain maintenance.  But it is as loud as a Harley.

<!--EDIT|Charlesbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1126908096 -->

I just installed a BDE Gen3 StreetSmart full and lemme tell ya, it's louder than stock but still not "harley loud" of course. It has a MUCH MORE THROATY AND PISSED OFF SOUND especially for a Busa. It grabs attention. Not to mention you gain at least 10-15 extra ponies if used with a PCIIIUSB and Brocks Maps and airbox mod.

BDE also has a Sidewinder system where the exhaust resides under your right footpeg. It's meant for dragracing and I hear that sucker is loud!! The street megaphone setup is louder than the streetsmart series too.

You might wanna look at the Muzzys as well. They have a nice exhaust note that's definitely meaty.
The BDE Gen III with carbon can is what i have and the sound is awesome as well as the power gain.

you've got to look at the "BEET" dual system under mods section. $$$$, but if you have the cash, this system is the fire.

Back