TUTORO Chain Oiler - Cheap as chips!

hayabusaboy

Registered
I'm not sure if you guys get RIDE magazine outside of the UK, but over here it is a highly respected biking magazine. They did a test on auto chain oilers and the TUTORO chain oiler came out as a hands down winner for the 'Best Buy' title. Very simple, minimum parts to go wrong and very effective! It puts the scotoiler system to shame for it's easy fit, effectiveness and low price! I paid £17.99 ($32ish) for it. It has a dual delivery nozzle and has brought my chain back to life!

Here are a couple of pictures of where I have mine mounted:

317.jpg

316.jpg

There is a supplier who has just been commisioned in the USA. They also have suppliers in Belgium, New Zealand, Greece and Portugal. The link for the suppliers for all of the countries is:

Distributors

I have not had to put my busa on the paddock stand to oil the chain, nor clean the chain lube from the swing arm!

I highly recommend it, by far the best £20 I have ever spent on my girl.

Ride to live - live to ride

317.jpg

316.jpg

On the street, O-Ring chain the chain wear areas are sealed, oil will not go in.

For the rest of the chain, oil + road dust = fine grinding paste.

The result is a big reduction in sprocket life and extra chain wear.

Use a spray-on silicone based material with synthetics which are electrostatically charged once every 1,000 miles. The esters work their way to the metal and shed the dirt in the process. You are left with some dry silicone and esters and a clean chain. That will give you a much longer life than the gizmo in your original post. In fact, if your chain is never lubed, provided the O-rings do not pop, it will probably last longer than with this gizmo. Also, a lot of that stuff is going to end up on your back wheel rim.

Take your points, however, i have noticed a massive difference in the smoothness in gear changes, a lot more positive. At a drip rate of one every minute, I have had no mess on my back end at all. I do have a chain that shows no sign of rust and is clean. I had to clean my chain more often when I used spray on lubricants. The test is when you clean the chain and the cloth you use it barely dirty compared to when using spray on lubricants. :whistle:

I use my engine oil, i normally have half a litre left over from oil changes so top it up with the left over oil. Works a treat.

Thanks for posting this. I've read many positive reviews of the Scottoiler system and it's nice to know there is a cheaper alternative. This would be a very big plus for our long distance riders. Cheers!
:thumbsup:

You turn it on by twisting the nozzle the desired amount of twists before you ride off, then turn it off again once you have finished the ride. Couldn't be easier.

I would have to be hard pressed to install something on my bike that looked like what you have there. MacGyver couldn't have done it better. You don't happen to know a guy named Shervinrr do you?

You cant really see it is there... It saves you having to paddock stand your bike to lube the chain and cleaning the chain is a doddle.... No I don't, should I???????

Americans aren't as big on the practical mods as you Brits are. You ride in more rain and have a history of using bikes as practical transportation as opposed to the majority of North Americans who appreciate the motorcycle as a hobby or a extension of their personal lifestyle hence their aversion to modifications that are not shiny.

cheers
ken

Ken, i think you have hit the nail on the head! My busa rides all year rouund as my get to work commuter and my scream down to bike meets mid week and weekend ride outs. Having this auto oiler has saved me so much time all ready by not having to paddock stand everytime to clean and oil after a ride through crappy british weather! (by the way, mid May, 70mph winds and 10 degrees!! What is that all about! Got to love british weather!).

But for you guys who tour, who use your girl as a daily commuter, ride through crappy weather or just hate looking after your chain, it cost's nothing and saves you a whole lot of time spraying and cleaning.

Hey, this is just my opinion :thumbsup:

Hayabusaboy,
I thought the weather down south was always sunny :rofl: I mean the Eden Project is not that far from you and it’s always sunny there :laugh:
Oiler’s (whichever make) are just a practical thing to have on your bike, if you ride all year round through all of the great British weather has to throw at you (although I draw a line at -4 degrees C).

I have a Scottoiler MK7 system with HRC kit fitted behind the reg plate. The HRC gives me at least 5k miles before the need to refill it, with Scottoiler’s own 'Blue' oil.
My K5 Busa (owned for 18 months), is on its original chain and sprockets with 25k miles on them, and I put this down to the chain always being looked after / oiled. The chain and both sprockets are all within Suzuki spec tolerances. Every 2 – 4k miles the chain gets a thorough clean with WD40 / adjusted if needs be but this is quite rare and re-lubed. The Scottoiler has three different settings that I have marked on the top of it to adjust for the change in weather and speeds i.e. winter / summer and those fast days, when you have to (try) and break the sound barrier.

I do understand why riders question me about fitting an oiler (esp. to a Busa) and there problems with oil being splattered on the rear wheel etc. but the pro’s out weigh the cons.
The reason why oil is flung onto the rear wheel (similar to some chain wax) is usually due to the drip rate setting being too high for the speed / weather conditions you ride at. As a general rule of thumb I work on –
• 1-2 drips a minute = town / commuting where speeds are generally low or weather conditions are very poor, hence the chain needs that extra lube
• 1 drip every 3-4 minutes = for quick riding in summer conditions, roads are dry and the bike / chain is not getting dirty (ish)
It’s not full-proof, but each bike is different and the set-up works on my bike.

The installation of the Scottoiler system is longer than what you're describing, but once fitted it's there for the life of the bike. The install is relatively neat and only the pipe leading out onto the sprocket is really noticable, although a shark-fin chain guard would fix / hide that.

DSC_00031.jpg

busaoiler (4).jpg

Back