Turn signal replacement ... the bulbs

BUBBA

Foghoon Leghoon
Donating Member
Registered
I asked this in another thread and was still wondering if anyone changes the actual turn signal bulbs to a different color?
I am not in love with the OSHA orange color and would like to do the Clear Alternatives mod.
I don't know what color I would go with, but I am thinking White or even red.
Not sure of the legalities either but I see people with different colors on their cars so???
Please give any suggestions / comments......
AND PICS!
Thanks ORG
Bubba

I have an '09 it is named DOT

Last edited:
Red would be highly illegal.

If this is a street ridden bike, don't screw with it, people have a hard enough time seeing bikes, you change the only universally common color for signals, and you eliminate the rest of their ability to process thoughts.

??? Putting in red...you might as well dig a couple hundred more out of your wallet to pay the fine while you're at it. Might as well have "TICKET ME" stitched into the back of your jacket.

Generally, you can have red or amber on the rear. Amber on front. Other colors will violate the law and bring undue hassles you don't need.
No other colors are acceptable.
Running lights same. Amber to red on rear. Amber to front.
Blue, green, purple, etc, are not allowed to be on when operated on public roads.
Oklahoma takes it further when it comes to blue lights. A non emergency vehicle cannot be equipped with blue lamps. You don't have to turn them on to be cited.
Most vehicle laws are similar from state to state, but.... always a but....
If you change lamps which were original equipment, you may be legal in your state and not in another.
Same with license plate location and mounting.
Bottom line, any changes you make to the factory equipment, could earn a hefty fine.
" I did not know" usually does not help on the side of the road.

Hope this helps.

Generally, you can have red or amber on the rear. Amber on front. Other colors will violate the law and bring undue hassles you don't need.
No other colors are acceptable.
Running lights same. Amber to red on rear. Amber to front.
Blue, green, purple, etc, are not allowed to be on when operated on public roads.
Oklahoma takes it further when it comes to blue lights. A non emergency vehicle cannot be equipped with blue lamps. You don't have to turn them on to be cited.
Most vehicle laws are similar from state to state, but.... always a but....
If you change lamps which were original equipment, you may be legal in your state and not in another.
Same with license plate location and mounting.
Bottom line, any changes you make to the factory equipment, could earn a hefty fine.
" I did not know" usually does not help on the side of the road.

Hope this helps.

You are right, I looked it up and here's what I found to be common in many states.

* Incorrect color of turn signal. It must be white or yellow to the front, red or yellow to the rear (24953 VC)

Italian Trev. Why?- I just don't care for the orange color on my bike. Its gray / silver and I think Red would look good in the back and white in the front.

I will take pics when I do this. It may be a while since I want to do it when I change to the smoked clear alt's

Back