Turkey (

Scar

Seasoned Pilot
Donating Member
Registered
So, in spite of the drizzle which for some reason found the SoCal coast, a number of friends and I got out and decided to go to the desert to see if the sun was shining there. It was. The temperature in Borrego Springs was in the mid-high 80's.

After getting lunch and heading back, we were coming up Banner Grade. I pulled over to rearrange my .oRg lanyard and then catch up with the group at the top of the hill.

So, they spanked on by. I started heading up the hill and a couple of corners later, I come upon an '09 R1 sprawled across both lanes.

I called out on my Chatterbox to let the others know that there was a biker down. I pulled over. The young marine was in obvious pain; couldn't get his helmet off nor his gloves. While he was standing up, he kept doubling over in pain.

I righted his bike, rolled it down the hill to a safe spot, started moving traffic through, and picked up the pieces which were scattered across the road.

He was fully geared.

He'd hit a wild turkey, bounced off a rock wall, and skidded across Banner Grade.

Here are some pix.

At a minimum, he has a broken collar bone.

Called an ambulance and a tow rig. After the emergency services peeps showed (all hail the CHP and the Emergency Responders), we left for Santa Ysabel and Palomar...

First three pix... The initial group;
Wasabi, Craig's R6 and Jim's R1.

Initial Group.jpg

Initial Group 1.jpg

I Exodus.jpg

A couple of pix of the turkey, in his final resting spot...

And another with three guys...

The guy holding the bird is a local who was going to dispose of the carcass, the middle guy is the crash victim, and the guy on the right is his riding mate.

Be safe out there, ya'lls. :beerchug:

Turkey 1.jpg

Turkey 2.jpg

Turkey 3.jpg

wow, not sure if he was lucky or not... glad he was able to stand at least... Best wishes!

Very sorry about the young man, I hope he heals up fast.

He'll be fine, James. With the Balboa Naval Hospital right here, I'm sure he's in good hands.

:beerchug:

I'm going to forward the pix to him so he can share them with his compadres.

WOW! It seems as though you are almost always at the right place at the right time. Lamb knows for a fact, if there is someone you want around when the ride doesn't go right, Scar is the man.

Again the Navy tends to an injured Marine.:rofl:
Good looking out Scar. Glad to hear that he will be OK and was geared up. Hate to hear these stories but they are much better when the rider can walk away to ride another day.

Dang birds.

WOW! It seems as though you are almost always at the right place at the right time. Lamb knows for a fact, if there is someone you want around when the ride doesn't go right, Scar is the man.

Thanks, Lamb. That's cool of you to say. :beerchug:

Sorry to hear about the fellow on the bike, yall have alot of them birds out there?

Sorry to hear about the fellow on the bike, yall have alot of them birds out there?

Dude...we have a TON of them here...and as well, the red-tailed hawks. It's so bizarre, yo...last weekend, I came upon two hawks hovering over some road-kill; the wind was blowing so they were just hovering over it...the closer I got to the dead animal, the closer in one of the hawks came...I had to duck to avoid running into it. It was a close call.

That is pretty wild i had no idea they where that bad, and didnt look very small either.

Turkeys an Squirrls !!!! ... nature is fighting back !!! sounds like the Marine is in good hands .. good man Scar !

Damn, that sux. Good to see the rider up and standing.

RedFalco should consider himself lucky, 'cause Ima thinkin' Butterball thighs would have hurt worse at 150 MPH. :shocked:

D

Turkeys an Squirrls !!!! ... nature is fighting back !!! sounds like the Marine is in good hands .. good man Scar !

Ken: I'm looking for a list of parts you need to get your 'bus back on the road. Let's get this underway, yo.

:beerchug:

Back