Turbo's are good

GMbusa

Orange is the fastest
Donating Member
Registered
When you click on this turbo section it's full of problem threads. I want to let potential Turbo owners know that while turbo's can have little problems here and there, my Hahn is mostly trouble free and the power advantage far outweighs and negative aspects IMO.

So don't fear going boost. You'll love it.  
beerchug.gif

Plus, were all here airing our problems so we all can learn from other mistakes.

I've been thinking of a turbo for a while but the many different problems associated with them (cracked headers, leaks, dump noise, exhaust smell, loose bolts, heat issues, loss of reliability, ...) have given me pause. I'm still listening and learning.

I'm sure a good installation and a good tuner (on speed dial
biggrin.gif
) will help with many of the problems. Just not sure.

It's taken a number of years, but nowadays mostly all of the big Turbo manufaturers have the stage1 kits down to a science. Technology has it that you can have a daily driver stage1 turbo bike. I myself am doing that very thing. I bought a bike with a fresh stage1 kit on it and though it has a couple small things here n there, it runs beautiful.

Hahn kits i've found are some of the most underated kits out there. Yet, everything on my Hahn kit is top notch.

I would agree, my bike runs like a dream, can drive it everyday. With my turbo being so big, it really don't use the boost until I hit 6 grand, so that in it's own way is very nice. Yeah, but a good kit, get it tunned by a professional.
beerchug.gif

(GMbusa @ Sep. 28 2007,12:29) When you click on this turbo section it's full of problem threads. I want to let potential Turbo owners know that while turbo's can have little problems here and there, my Hahn is mostly trouble free and the power advantage far outweighs and negative aspects IMO.

beerchug.gif

Plus, were all here airing our problems so we all can learn from other mistakes.
You bought yours already built...
biggrin.gif
If you would have started from scratch, we would see what you had to say then.... lol....

Glad its working well for ya... When they run, they run great don't they... Once I finally got mine working right, I haven't really had any problems with it, but I am waiting patiently for the day of kaboomb...

Cloud

GMBusa, you still wanting that extra 1 psi or are you pretty satisfied with where you are at... ;)

Hey guys; had turbo little over a year now had some problems at first, got it straitened out. now have 6000 plus miles with turbo [low comp, pistons&spacer] ride to work just about every day running 10+ psi boost on pump gas 270+ HP and bike runs like a swiss watch no driveability issues no overheating I had dyno map done and it ran ok but it still took a couple of months with a wideband and data recorder to get it where it is now. this is my two cents but one thing anybody new to turbos needs to remember that $4000. kit is not exactly as advertised. if your good with tools you can get it on your bike and it will run super but haveing a good dyno guy is absolutly essential, most dyno guys are in the 300-350 range. however if you want to run more boost you have to lower comprestion, plate and/or pistons witch means pulling top half off motor. pistons,spacer,gaskets. about &700. plus labor unless you do it yourself. if you don't do your own work and still want a turbo my best advice would be take the bike to a well known turbo guy and pay them to do install and tuneing and then don't screw around with it. the turbo kit/install,tuneing for stage one kit prices are in the 5000-5500 range more or less depending on who does the work. very important stay with a well known turbo dealer, RCC. VELOCITY. STEADMAN. NLR. do your homework, DO NOT, go with cheapest price there are other dealers that are very good, ck thru H.B .ORG and SHB.ORG again more homework. and one more thing if you do this when you get the bike back BE CAREFULL,BE SAFE,GO FAST.

Turbos are King!! I've dragraced a turbo for the past 4+ years and I'll never go back to normally aspirated! There are pros and cons to everything.
There is more maintenance to go faster, it doesn't matter if it's big cc, nitrous or turbo. It just comes down to how you want to use your bike. I prefer to use mine with 25 LBS of boost!
all_coholic.gif

I think Turbo's are great too. Though i wouldn't know what a non-overheating turbo bike is. Mine ildes for a few minutes and the temp gauge pegs.  It's gettin old REAL quick.   I think i've tracked the problem down to a faulty thermostat.   My bike temp will be fine for a while but after i ride for a while and the heat starts soaking i think the thermostat sticks which would make an engine do exactly what mine is doing.    I ordered the part ($26), no, that's not a typo. $26 is what Suzuki charges for one.

FYI.... Suzuki changed the thermostat for the 05's and up.    In theory, replacing this part should fix it. If it doesn't, i'll have to resort to the additional cooling mods. Though i shouldn't have to. I think the extra fans and relocated temp switches should be a helper mod, not an essential. I mean, if i'm not boosting at idle, why would a turbo make it run hot?  Does the OEM oil cooler help THAT much?

I was at the DC AIDS ride last weekend and all 2000 bikes got to witness mine puking coolant all over I495.

(Cloud9 @ Sep. 29 2007,06:09)
(GMbusa @ Sep. 28 2007,12
super.gif
) When you click on this turbo section it's full of problem threads. I want to let potential Turbo owners know that while turbo's can have little problems here and there, my Hahn is mostly trouble free and the power advantage far outweighs and negative aspects IMO.

beerchug.gif

You bought yours already built...
biggrin.gif
If you would have started from scratch, we would see what you had to say then.... lol....

Glad its working well for ya... When they run, they run great don't they... Once I finally got mine working right, I haven't really had any problems with it, but I am waiting patiently for the day of kaboomb...

Cloud
Hey, i coulda bought a turbo kit and installed it myself. I am no poser, i wrench on my own stuff. I went a different route to save money. It's much cheaper to buy a bike that has been turbo'd than to build one yourself. If you search smart you can find the right deal.

there's alot of good advice in this thread... do home work, good tech support, good turbo system, built right.

as long as you don't get cheap in your budget and don't get greedy with the boost there are plenty of very reliable turbo bikes living the life of boost.

Just be realistic about your goals and your budget... if you're expecting 400hp with $5,000.00 you're only going to end up with alot of headaches.

(GMbusa @ Oct. 01 2007,12:19) I think Turbo's are great too. Though i wouldn't know what a non-overheating turbo bike is. Mine ildes for a few minutes and the temp gauge pegs.  It's gettin old REAL quick.   I think i've tracked the problem down to a faulty thermostat.   My bike temp will be fine for a while but after i ride for a while and the heat starts soaking i think the thermostat sticks which would make an engine do exactly what mine is doing.    I ordered the part ($26), no, that's not a typo. $26 is what Suzuki charges for one.

FYI.... Suzuki changed the thermostat for the 05's and up.    In theory, replacing this part should fix it. If it doesn't, i'll have to resort to the additional cooling mods. Though i shouldn't have to. I think the extra fans and relocated temp switches should be a helper mod, not an essential. I mean, if i'm not boosting at idle, why would a turbo make it run hot?  Does the OEM oil cooler help THAT much?

I was at the DC AIDS ride last weekend and all 2000 bikes got to witness mine puking coolant all over I495.
Relocating the fan switch beleive it or not helped my overheating out quite a bit which surprised me...

The water wetter with distilled water was the best coolant setup I have found and I have tried a few... I have an intercooler hanging in front of my radiator, so heat has been a battle for me... But I got her down now where she NEVER goes a hair beyound half-way even when idling for 5-10 minutes when hot.

I wired in the second fan switch; I have a GXSR 600 and 1000 fax installed, but NEVER need the manual switch. THe bike does fine with relocating the fan switch.

I have been riding my 05 Hahn Stage 1 busa for a bit over 8k miles. Of the five bike I currently own this is by far the most versital and is pretty much my daily commuter. Initialy it leaked a bit more oil then I was comfortable with but repleced a seal and all is well. I have had no dificuly with heat,, or anything coming loose. THe only "Special" thing I doos let it idle for a minute before I shut it off. I love this bike

Back